The Lewis Brander Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This day and age:

Hi Ed. I'll bet he sure could help make them, but grandma was the one who raised them. Mentality of the day, bare foot and pregnet and tied to the stove, but they made it through. Today it's like Kids having kids at that age and not knowing how to raise them or what to do. I've seen parent raising their own kids along with their grandchildren at the samw time. I was always told that if you liked the tune, you had to pay the fiddler, so always watched what I was getting into. Most kids today don't know what responcibility is. OK, talk later. Lewis.

Lewis things have changed alot in the last 30 years , some would say for the better and that could mean chainsaws also

Times improving:

Yes Ed, hopefully times are improving, but the only thing guarenteed is death and taxes. Just hope I can afford to pay those taxes and live at the same time. Take care. Lewis.

yes and Tax time is coming up here very soon again , got to love paying the Gov.
Lewis do they have a death tax where you live cause they have one here and if you donot watch what you are doing it can really hurt what you have left once you are gone

Death taxes:

Ha, Death tax. You pay taxes till you die. Then there is inheritance taxes to those you leave property to. Nothing like paying taxes on taxes. What was the Boston Tea Party about? Taxes without representation. I'd like to cut about 4 fingers off the gov. hand as it reaches into my pocket for its tax or blood money. Aw, but it's for a good cause, cause the richer get richer and the poorer get taxed more. Got to love it. Then the phone and energy companies ad in all there little charges and sir taxes and what not that don't make any sence. You do your best to save money, then a huricane in the south raises hell and you end up paying for that in higher energy cost and insurance cost. Life is sure a game, you gotta love it. You might as well while your alive, cause it'll never end. Take care. Lewis.

Tried to add thees to the " Lewis Brander Collection " thread, but see that there is now new post button. So here they are here. I've aquired a Mall 6, Reed Prentice (Craftsman 1200B) and repainted my Mall OMG. Here are some pics. Lewis.
First is my Reed Prentice (Craftsman 1200B) made around 1947.
CraftsmanReedPrentice1200B1947Repai.jpg

CraftsmanReedPrentice1200B1947Re-1.jpg

CraftsmanReedPrentice1200B1947Re-2.jpg

CraftsmanReedPrentice1200B1947Re-3.jpg

CraftsmanReedPrentice1200B1947Re-5.jpg

Next is my Mall 6, made around 1945.
Mall6closeupsRepainted001.jpg

Mall6closeupsRepainted003.jpg

Mall6closeupsRepainted004.jpg

A few more of the collection:

Here are a few more saws that's been added to the collection.
McCulloch 35A. Complete and a runner:
McCulloch35004.jpg

McCulloch35005.jpg

A McCulloch Mac 15. This saw is original down to the bar and chain. Most of these saws had a tilly carb, but this one has a Walboro single diaphragm, gravity feed.
McCullodh15001.jpg

McCullodh15002.jpg

Lewis,
If you don't mind me asking, how do you make homemade diaphragms? I can see the fuel pump type, but what about the metering diaphragms that have a metal button rivetted to it? Thanks, Kenny in CT still learning.

Diaphragms:

Hello Kenney W. Those diaphragms are a bit tricky and you have to be carefull. If the diaghragm can be suupported and the button looks like a staked rivet I have carefully use a center punch and separated the various pieces. Just don't go overboard in using too much force to separate the pieces. I did this to make a new diaphragm for the Reed Prentice saw. The other types that look like a rivet head will have to be ground down like you would a side strap on a chain and the pieces separated. Then after making a diaphragm and clamping the pieces back together I've managed to use some solder to reassemble them. I'm also toying with the idea of drilling and tapping the needle valve and using a small round headed screw of the proper size to reassemble the pieces back together.

What carb diaphragms are you talking about, for what carb on what saw? Send me an email at: [email protected] if you would like. Each carb has it's own unique problems. Take care. Lewis.

One more saw:

Here's one more for the collection. It's a Feeetwood model 200 saw made by Baystate Equipment Company in 1953. The saw is now cleaned up and running, hope to repaint her at some point. Lewis.
Fleetwood1.jpg

Fleetwood2.jpg

Fleetwood3.jpg

PDRM0310.jpg

PDRM0312.jpg

PDRM0313.jpg

PDRM0314.jpg

Collection:

Hello RDT and thanks for the reply. Haven't done too much with the collection of saws since Dec 07, except for getting the Fleetwood 200. The way the economy is going and some of the prices I see on saws, make me want to keep my money in my pocket. Hope to get some of the old Macs I have worked on this summer. For now you take care. Lewis.

Hi Lewis, good to see you adding another nice saw to your collection. Never seen a fleetwood like that.
I agree with you that prices are going up fast for old saws... seems that more people get into collecting, at least over here. Not good, but I am more selective in my purchases anyway.
Nice to see you posting again. Take care !
:cheers:

Hello Belgian:

Hello Belgian. Haven't been on the puter much lately, been catching up on my wife's to due list and my own list of home repairs and yard work. Got things fairly well whittled down, just some painting projects to take care of once the weather stays warmed up a bit and no rain predicted for awhile. Then I hope to get to working on some saw projects and maybe pick up a saw or two. We'll see what happens. Hope this finds everyone doing well. Lewis.

Hello Lewis

Lewis,

How did the Strunk turn out? I have acquired what I think is a Big Machete 5.1. It does have the West Bend motor on it with the SpeeDemon Decal on the side. You can barely read part of Big Machete on the right bottom corner looking down at it. Do you know anyone that has parts? Thank you and have a blessed evening.:)

Strunk

Hello Trever. The Strunk I have runs great, but haven't done anything to the paint. Not sure if I'll repaint the saw or not. As far as parts go they show up on ebay, so keep a watch out for them there. You take care. Lewis.

650 decal

Hello to all. Well, got the Pioneer 650 and the Lancaster saw finished up, so here's some pics. All I need to finish up the Pioneer 650 is the emblem or decal for the top cover and need some small knobs for the choke and off/on switch for the Lancaster. Anyone have a pic of the decal for the Pioneer 650? Here's the pics.

I have a 650 and I'm looking for a decal as well. Do you have still have the image file or picture for the decal?

I have learned a lot from you just from reading your posts. Thanks!

Pioneer 650 Decal:

Hello Disston. I had a few decals storred on my old computer, but she crashed and I haven't tried as yet to retreve them as yet. Send me an email to: [email protected] and I can remove the top cover from the Pioneer 650 and scan the decal to my computer and send a copy of it to you. It's about all I can do for now. You take care. Lewis.

Back