The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When does common sense come into play and we realize it's not acceptable to poison your neighbor. How would you like it if your neighbor was burning something toxic like Xties and the smoke was coming into your house or you had to breathe it everyday?? Different story when the shoe is on the other foot. It's a better world when we consider the health and safety of others and not just do something because it's not illegal.

Then burning ties is OK.
And if you're unhappy with it, you're at Liberty to move wherever you are happier... or you can attempt to use the democratic process to change the decision in your local township.
Either way... Constitutionally, the Federal Government has no jurisdiction... EPA or not.
with him,,straight to Iraq to spread his bull...

When does common sense come into play and we realize it's not acceptable to poison your neighbor. How would you like it if your neighbor was burning something toxic like Xties and the smoke was coming into your house or you had to breathe it everyday?? Different story when the shoe is on the other foot. It's a better world when we consider the health and safety of others and not just do something because it's not illegal.
You poison your neighbor everytime you crank up your automobile, your lawn mower or your chainsaw. When you put fertilizer on your lawn or garden, if you smoke, then everytime you light up, and everytime you turn on your electric furnace or gas stove. Your neighbor isnt the only one making foot prints in the sand, if you take the time to look around you your foot print is leaving just as deep an impression as your neighbors are. The whole do as I say and not as I do seems to fit here.

When does common sense come into play and we realize it's not acceptable to poison your neighbor.
The law determines what constitutes "poisoning" your neighbor... if it was based on personal ideology we'd all be serving life in prison.
Burning RR ties may be smokey and stinky... but smokey and stinky don't equal "poison". Carbon monoxide is invisible and orderless, yet far less of it well kill you in a much shorter time. Smoke drifting in the wind is no more concentrated than the carbon monoxide (and several other "poisons") from your automobile exhaust is. However, the smoke just looks and smells bad, so your mind tricks you and tells you it's really, really bad and stuff... but in reality, you likely breath, eat, drink, and absorb through your skin, far "worse" things every day. If you've ever spilled used motor oil on your hands changing oil in your log splitter, you've exposed your body to more "poison" in a few minutes than standing a couple hundred yards down wind from a RR tie fire all day.

This ain't about "poisoning" any more than lighting your BBQ grille or using a rattle-can of paint is... however, creating a public nuisance (or some other local civil offense) may apply depending on circumstances and local ordinance.

I guess if you don't like it, it would be time to do as Daniel Boone said " when I can see a neighbors smoke it's time to time move on". Their rights are just as important as yours.

By the way, BNSF does in fact use wooden crossties, I have walked more track than most people have rode over.
If This is in Regards to my post I should MEBBE clarify,,,comma sticking,, ( Arnery for "Goat")
I should have been state specific as my exposure is of the Nebraska area.
I didn't realize BNSF had Track in NC But truth is Warren Buffett is always in the market for a good deal
I basically said "Crossing and Switch" ties are treated and " Mainline uses concrete that leaves siding, spurs, and secondary lines out of my statement.
I am not an advocate of our states Dept' of Environmental Quality "DEQ" But have seen several episodes of enforcement and some were needed and some were BALONEY.
Yes it is a Fact that the DEQ can and will shut you down if you get on their RADAR. I have seen this with neighboring businesses and recycling friends and it hits very close to my way of life. I use to think if you were not incorporated the gov't tended to look the other way . This is not the case. Jess sayin
Seems this thread could be subtitled "The BICKERSOMES" Guess I find it irritatingly entertaining.

If This is in Regards to my post I should MEBBE clarify,,,comma sticking,, ( Arnery for "Goat")
I should have been state specific as my exposure is of the Nebraska area.
I didn't realize BNSF had Track in NC But truth is Warren Buffett is always in the market for a good deal
I basically said "Crossing and Switch" ties are treated and " Mainline uses concrete that leaves siding, spurs, and secondary lines out of my statement.
I am not an advocate of our states Dept' of Environmental Quality "DEQ" But have seen several episodes of enforcement and some were needed and some were BALONEY.
Yes it is a Fact that the DEQ can and will shut you down if you get on their RADAR. I have seen this with neighboring businesses and recycling friends and it hits very close to my way of life. I use to think if you were not incorporated the gov't tended to look the other way . This is not the case. Jess sayin
Seems this thread could be subtitled "The BICKERSOMES" Guess I find it irritatingly entertaining.
Only being exposed to one single state, how would you justify a blanket statement that BNSF only uses concrete crossties. And as far as i know, BNSF doesnt own any tracks in NC, but unlike a lot of folks, I have visited many states with my job. So my knowledge of railroad and materials used is not limited to I drove across the railroad track and looked at a picture. When I say I have walked more track than most have rode across, I can say that factually as i have walked every mile of just about every track from St Louis, to Florida, from Miss and La, to Penn. from The coast of Nc to the Mississippi River. I have personally handled million, yes millions is also accurate, of Crossties, including concrete, metal, composite, and even the lowly wooded crosstie.

As for Warren Buffett, if he wants to buy my railroad, he is going to have to get in line behind the Canadian Pacific as they are already attempting a hostile takeover. Stock tip of the month, Buy NSCorp, It should bring a 20%-30% profit by summer.

To be honest, I just dont see you as a problem, nor do I think I have anything to worry about.
Well you don't cause you are not next to me burning toxic chemicals. If you lived out in the country with nobody around I can see it being ok, but if you have neighbors and their kids have to breathe that crap. tells me you don't have any regard for your neighbors. When one of them beats yer old ass don't come cryin here for sympathy.

Back