The Official, 2nd. Annual Pennsylvania Spring GTG (May 9, 2015)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer 610 update:
Somewhat determined to hear this beasty lite off, I pulled the plug to check for spark. Beautiful bright blue :surprised3: So off comes the new filter and I poured a little mix down her throat. Pulled and whattya know, I get 2 pops, and another 2... Took it outside an hollered @ my son so he could be there cause I think it's going to run. Only get pops, again. I get him to give it a little throttle while I pull and BAM! We have us a runner!!!!! :happybanana::dancing::cheers::rock2:
First time running/cutting in around 50 some years. made in 1959 and 103cc's.

The cover doesn't tighten down so I need to cure that and get a decent chain...

Kris, it's a .404 .050 with 62dl.

Your saw is missing its air shield and cover bumpers. This is a critical piece on the 600 series Pioneers, you will overheat the cylinder and score the piston running one without the airshield to capture and redirect the airflow from the flywheel. Your cover will not tighten down without the airshield and the two rubber bumpers that mount in the holes top side.

I have rubber bumpers, but I could use an air shield too....

Absolute necessity for them if the cut lasts more than 45 seconds or more the cylinder temp rises very fast in those old heavy walled cylinders, running with the cover off is even worse as the fan cools nothing when running, the cooling air is just dispersed.

Absolute necessity for them if the cut lasts more than 45 seconds or more the cylinder temp rises very fast in those old heavy walled cylinders, running with the cover off is even worse as the fan cools nothing when running, the cooling air is just dispersed.

That's why I finished the cut at a later time, letting it sit for a while to cool. I actually post a WTB earlier this morning. Do you happen to have one? I'm thinking in a pinch I could fab one out of an old printing plate if I had a pic with measurements.

That's why I finished the cut at a later time, letting it sit for a while to cool. I actually post a WTB earlier this morning. Do you happen to have one? I'm thinking in a pinch I could fab one out of an old printing plate if I had a pic with measurements.

I would likely have something that was better than running without one. The OEM ones had a habit of cracking and just self destructing with time, they just sit on the cylinder fins metal to metal, the fins rub hard on the shield and cut into the soft aluminum with use and make them crack or pull apart at the spot welds. Send me a PM and I will look to see what I have in the spare but usable category.

I plan on making one from flashing if I can't find one. I have new ones for 750s and nu17s' but none for 600 series..lol.

Jerry in the PA thread!!!!
Hey Jerry!!

I'm in Punta Cana this week and the weather is BEAUTIFUL! How is the weather in central PA? It was horrible when I left on Friday, cloudy and windy around 45 degrees. Looking foreword to next weekend, get those saws tuned, sharpened and stories ready! See ya all on the 9th. Chuck is there anything ya need me to bring, possibly a backpack blower?

P.S. The wifi sucks here so pictures will have to wait.

This years date looks like the 2nd. saturday in may,,,may 9th....

I had to check again, I thought the rum was getting to me, it's the second annual, second weekend of May but definitely May the 9th.

I'm in Punta Cana this week and the weather is BEAUTIFUL! How is the weather in central PA? It was horrible when I left on Friday, cloudy and windy around 45 degrees. Looking foreword to next weekend, get those saws tuned, sharpened and stories ready! See ya all on the 9th. Chuck is there anything ya need me to bring, possibly a backpack blower?

P.S. The wifi sucks here so pictures will have to wait.

Hey Wes,
I dunno if we'll get cleaned up enough that day to need a blower ??
If you got extra room good, if not, no biggie...
By the end of the day ON MAY 9TH, I might not feel like doing anything....lol..

Latest posts

Back