Spike's 2014 GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks again to Bob (Spike) for a very enjoyable meet-up with old friends and new. Always nice to put faces to names, and hear different stories.

Thanks again to member Lootbug for bringing his still-being-broken-in Echo CS-600. Nico, note: good, flat torque curve, excellent A/V. Took a bit to get a file into its new chain. One sweet runner. For $300, gimme a break. One could get used to it real quick. (I'll work on the DL count, Dustin.) :rolleyes:

Some aren't that partial to slicing cookies, so it was good to produce some usable splits, for Bob. Matt, you couldn't have nailed my foot better with that split, if you tried. (I know you didn't, did you?.)

Until we meet again either in Kingston, or up by Saratoga. Still waiting to hear about the "Black Dirt Red", Mike. :D

Hey Bob, I love the views so much when driving to your place I took the wife and kids up there today. We walked around the resivoir and had a picnic lunch. Man was it windy! Thank god my wife has the brains in our relationship, had the girls bundled up tight. All three of my girls were in awe of the beautifull mountains. After the walk we went into town and stopped by some antique shops. That guy Roger, he knows a LOT about oil lamps. My 9 year old is learning about electricity and how the oil lamps used to be in everyones homes so to see that guys vaat collection was pretty neat, timing was great foe her. When leaving we stopped at the are below where the fountain is, very pretty. I can imagine when you live amongst it you don't notice it as much, but Bob you have a very pretty neighborhood! That was one great thing about the cool air, kept tourism down to a minimum. Wife really enjoyed the day!

Hey Bob, I love the views so much when driving to your place I took the wife and kids up there today. We walked around the resivoir and had a picnic lunch. Man was it windy! Thank god my wife has the brains in our relationship, had the girls bundled up tight. All three of my girls were in awe of the beautifull mountains. After the walk we went into town and stopped by some antique shops. That guy Roger, he know a LOT about oil lamps. My 9 year old is learning about electricity and how the oil lamps used to be in everyones bomes so to see that guys vaat collection was pretty neat, timing was great foe her. When leaving we stopped at the are below where the flountain is, very pretty. I can imagine when you live amongst it you don't notice it as much, but Bob you have a very pretty neighborhood! That was one great thing about the cool air, kept tourism down to a minimum. Wife really enmoyed the day!

Driving home Saturday, went south on SR 300 then the fun part, the "goat path"- SR 9W from Cornwall to West Point. With the sun low in the west, the Hudson Valley was absolutely spectacular. Too bad you have to pay such close attention to the road.

The foot you nailed with that funky splitter is back to full function, BTW, Matt.

Didn't go near my computer over the weekend, so a late thanks to all you guys for coming to the GTG. Glad everyone had a great time.

It's a busy type day hosting and of course the store is open as well. So, I never feel like I got to visit and spend time with everyone individually as much as I'd like to. But you are a great bunch of guys and it's a pleasure spending a day making noise and chips with all of you.

John; no need to fret that there was a lot of wood going to waste. All of the cookies went to a guy who will burn them in his OWB. (he got 3 pickup loads) All of the chips went to a guy who will use them in a chicken coop or pig pen or something. The rest of the logs went to the guys who helped us with the forklift and tractor and they will be used as firewood. Only waste is the chips that end up in the vacuum cleaner. :) Hope that ankle is feeling better.

My apologies for not making it down.
It's been a tough couple of weeks.
I went with Phils dad on Sat to grab the saws he had at the farm.

Lee, nice shirt buddy!! Put smiles on muh face to see you wearin dat!!

Jeremy
Indeed, it was great to see a few of those shirts walking around.

Big thanks to Bob for hosting and letting me borrow tools. (Thanks Warren!). Great BSing with you afterwards too!

And thank you to whoever brought the pulled pork for sandwiches. Yum!

Some questions....
I used "Red Saw" and "White Saw" in that video because I didn't know exactly what they were. Was that a PS9010?? Certainly a pretty saw! Does Dolmar still make something in that class? Also early in the video, there was a new looking and very fast Dolmar. Was that a 7910? All those Dolmars look crisp and ran well. Very impressive. How do the 7910's compare to the 7900's of years past?

That big Husqvarna 3120 was impressive. Can't imagine hauling that around all day though!

There was a little Stihl, think it was a ms261 but I wasn't certain. How do they compare to the old standard in that class the ms260?

For me the coolest saw was that big McCulloch.. the one super noodling that log end to end. SP125??

Some questions....
I used "Red Saw" and "White Saw" in that video because I didn't know exactly what they were. Was that a PS9010?? Certainly a pretty saw! Does Dolmar still make something in that class? Also early in the video, there was a new looking and very fast Dolmar. Was that a 7910? All those Dolmars look crisp and ran well. Very impressive. How do the 7910's compare to the 7900's of years past?

That big Husqvarna 3120 was impressive. Can't imagine hauling that around all day though!

There was a little Stihl, think it was a ms261 but I wasn't certain. How do they compare to the old standard in that class the ms260?

For me the coolest saw was that big McCulloch.. the one super noodling that log end to end. SP125??
Yes, the big "red" saw was 166s 9010. The little white saw chasing it was my Masterminded Stihl 441C-M. :)

The super noodle saw was indeed a Mac SP125.

The little Stihl was mine as well, a Mastermind 261C-M. Saw was running a 16" bar with 63PS chain (off-the-roll). They are noticeably heavier than the 026/260 was but also have a lot more low-end grunt . The 241 feels the most like the old 026 to me.

Even Lee was grinning running my little 261. :)

Latest posts

Back