What upgrades should i do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl full wraps suck ****. They are awkward and uncomfortable. But you can get used to them I guess.

Anyway, the Stihl factory full wraps also have a taller clutch cover to keep your hand out of the works. And they come with a higher out-put oiler (Or at least they used to..).

You want balance? Put an 18" bar on it..or get a lightweight 20.

As has been stated; don't waste any of your money on those "upgrades". Because they are not.

I'd ask your uncle what you should be modifying. He'll have a better idea on what kind of trees you'll be working with and how to set the saw up best for those trees. Personally, if I were going to be felling a bunch of trees, I'd probably be looking at an MS400 or MS462, but I can totally understand why those are not in your budget at the moment.

As far as tuning the saw, if you can't tune it yourself, you shouldn't be spending any money on upgrades. First learn how to sharpen your chains, then learn how to tune the saw, then decide whether or not anything on the saw needs tweaked or upgraded.

I'd ask your uncle what you should be modifying. He'll have a better idea on what kind of trees you'll be working with and how to set the saw up best for those trees. Personally, if I were going to be felling a bunch of trees, I'd probably be looking at an MS400 or MS462, but I can totally understand why those are not in your budget at the moment.

As far as tuning the saw, if you can't tune it yourself, you shouldn't be spending any money on upgrades. First learn how to sharpen your chains, then learn how to tune the saw, then decide whether or not anything on the saw needs tweaked or upgraded.
My uncle did taught me how to sharpen my chain and all my saws are really sharp. Even my grandpa was impressed when i sharpened his. And i also know how adjust the carb even tho my tunes aren't perfect but they will be one day! And my uncle doesn't really approve any upgrades as he still uses a 16 inch bar on his 362. The only thing he actually likes is a 20 inch bar and maybe some bigger dogs nothing else. Also i do appreciate how everyone mentions the 400C and 462 but nobody really uses +60 cc saws around here, most people just keep repairing their actual saws rather than buying new ones which i think is a good thing. Yet i do plan getting a 90 cc saw but mainly for milling around the house but that when ill really need it.✌️

My uncle did taught me how to sharpen my chain and all my saws are really sharp. Even my grandpa was impressed when i sharpened his. And i also know how adjust the carb even tho my tunes aren't perfect but they will be one day! And my uncle doesn't really approve any upgrades as he still uses a 16 inch bar on his 362. The only thing he actually likes is a 20 inch bar and maybe some bigger dogs nothing else. Also i do appreciate how everyone mentions the 400C and 462 but nobody really uses +60 cc saws around here, most people just keep repairing their actual saws rather than buying new ones which i think is a good thing. Yet i do plan getting a 90 cc saw but mainly for milling around the house but that when ill really need it.✌️
You want more out of your 362 just advance the ignition timing a bit. Base gasket delete and some sanding of the band is the next step. They run very well with those few mods added to a muffler mod.

I can't blame you for not having a 400. I don't have one either. I also agree that 16" is too small for a 60cc saws, especially for felling. I run 18" to keep my weight down, but I buck more than I fell. A full wrap Handel is really helpful for felling. I'd do that and get the felling spikes and call it done until you've used it for a season.

Since you're on a budget, you may want to consider a Farmertec G466 which is a clone of the older 046. With a 24" bar, it would be a monster for felling, and a 28" ot 32" bar will let you limb without bending over. It wouldn't be my first choice for a saw that you make a living with, but on a high-school budget, a 76cc saw for $350 plus another $50 in replacement parts has its merits.

I can't blame you for not having a 400. I don't have one either. I also agree that 16" is too small for a 60cc saws, especially for felling. I run 18" to keep my weight down, but I buck more than I fell. A full wrap Handel is really helpful for felling. I'd do that and get the felling spikes and call it done until you've used it for a season.

Since you're on a budget, you may want to consider a Farmertec G466 which is a clone of the older 046. With a 24" bar, it would be a monster for felling, and a 28" ot 32" bar will let you limb without bending over. It wouldn't be my first choice for a saw that you make a living with, but on a high-school budget, a 76cc saw for $350 plus another $50 in replacement parts has its merits.
I lot of people told me to consider older saw and i was thinking of buying a Stihl Ms 041 Av that i found on facebook marketplace. The saw works and from the ad it just seems like it needs to be cleaned and its quite cheap only 450 ron which is about 100USD that saw will be a perfect excuse ti buy a 24 inch bar, what do you think?

You want more out of your 362 just advance the ignition timing a bit. Base gasket delete and some sanding of the band is the next step. They run very well with those few mods added to a muffler mod.
I might as well do that. Did some research and if i am careful enough i think i should be able to do it, but i think ill wait till next year to do things like that. Mainly because the saw is still in warranty and i don't wanna lose the warranty because i wanted some power so for now il just run a 20 inch bar and keep it stock.

I might as well do that. Did some research and if i am careful enough i think i should be able to do it, but i think ill wait till next year to do things like that. Mainly because the saw is still in warranty and i don't wanna lose the warranty because i wanted some power so for now il just run a 20 inch bar and keep it stock.
18"ES balances better as a felling saw when running a standard ES bar. I used to switch to an 20" 050 3/8" E bar for felling. Always ran the 18" ES when possible or a 16" ES. The 20" ES is for bucking only in my mind. 24" lw is good for storm cleanups giving extra reach to downed tops. This applies to 034-360, 361 and 362 models. 034-360 goes climbing with a lw 18" 063 mostly. Those 1125s here will pull a 24lw or the 32lw but rarely do.

You can use another flywheel if you like from something used like a 361 or 362. They have a cast in aluminum key. Doesn't take much to move it 3-4°
Mtronic needs to be Mtronic only. Have not checked on the 400C interchange yet. Might fit.

Back