What parts should I stock up on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting a chainsaw parts eBay shop because my chainsaw carving Esty page ain't doing too well.

I will be buying some of these sprocket tools I can get for cheap cheap new and OEM:
s-l1200.jpgstihl-check-gauge-for-spockets-p664-2179_image.jpg
So far I have:

• 3.5mm starter rope
  • worm drives
  • carb parts
  • spare chain boxes
  • Stihl battery chargers
  • manuals
  • mufflers
  • file handles
    • bumper spikes for the 261

• I want to know what parts you guys sell the most so I know what to stock.

Alright. Seriously. What parts do you sell/use a lot? What parts do you think that someone would go on eBay for?
I would probably stock some clutches and clutch springs for different older saws, 0 series mainly, stuff that still operates a bunch like the 044 and 066
fuel line in different sizes along with air filters and spark plugs, find a place for the HD2 airfilter on a decent discount
also 200T parts, those that have them want to keep them running, my local dealer has parts still but your area may be different
fuel and oil cap O rings, I buy like 50 at a time, dont use them a bunch but nice to have spares and a pick in the saw box to replace them
rim sprockets also, 7 8 9 and 10 pin for people modding their saws, and A/V mounts for tophandles, ive torn a few

and that leads me onto tools, with each pack of O rings, maybe 10 of each for gas and oil caps (different sizes) and a cheap O ring pick so people see the extra value and buy your pack over someone elses but its just an idea, I know when I bought a carb for my dads old 4218 poulan I looked for one with the star tool to tune it
of course you are on a budget starting off, you may want to call around to the local small tree companies and ask what parts they go through, become more of a wholesaler than a dealership parts counter, any dealer will have an individual part on the shelf, but being able to call in and order 25 rim sprockets would be super nice (my dealer doesnt stock large amounts of anything, I was lucky to get 3 sprockets last month)
custom screnches with a clip on the top painted a neon orange or green would probably sell too!

Bulk anything that's reputable. Echo fuel line, spark plugs, brand fuel filters, bulk tank vents, bar nuts, saw chain. I find that for bits and pieces I go to my local dealers, it guarantees its 100% OEM and exactly what I need. For other things, I am willing to wait for a box of 25 fuel filters or spark plugs but I'm not going to ebay for something I can get 10 min away. If you can get your hands on bulk suppliers (call and talk to lots of people is how that happens. someone has connections somewhere) then start with that.

Be cautious of stocking up too much too soon.

Start small, generic and affordable - chain, links, files, guides, lubricants, bar nuts, clutch covers, Torx screws, t27 t handle, 8mm t handle, carb kits, fuel line, fuel filters, carb adjustment screw drivers, tachometers, piston ring compressors

Don't forget the consumables that everyone is going to use, even when their saw is working perfectly.

A roll of whatever the popular chain in the area is, + links and chain tools to make loops. In this area that'd be full comp and skip 3/8 0.050 chisel.
Files for said chain
Bar oil
2 stroke oil

I am starting a chainsaw parts eBay shop because my chainsaw carving Esty page ain't doing too well.
You need to seriously s...l...o..w down jumping from thing to thing. You change your focus more than probably anyone I have ever seen. I know you are about 14 but if you want a future in the business you need to learn patience NOW and not later. I, as well as many others have watched you bounce around sometimes twice or more in 24 hours.
You were doing carving
Then you tore apart a 015.
Then you got stumped and tried selling it.
Then you asked me about a USG
Then you said you did not need one cause you got a FG-2
Then you said you wanted to do sharping.
Then you said you wanted to do saw repair. (but not fix the 015)
Now you want to be a ebay parts seller.

You have done all this in just a matter of a week or two

Slooooooow down, Rome was not built in a day, mechanics are not born overnight, successful businesses are not created in hours.......FOCUS on learning one thing at a time!!!

I will be buying some of these sprocket tools I can get for cheap cheap new and OEM:
View attachment 1135384View attachment 1135381
So far I have:

• 3.5mm starter rope
  • worm drives
  • carb parts
  • spare chain boxes
  • Stihl battery chargers
  • manuals
  • mufflers
  • file handles
    • bumper spikes for the 261

• I want to know what parts you guys sell the most so I know what to stock.
Chains, bars, and files.

Lately on eBay or other where online I have purchased …..

Chain loops
Rolls of chain
Various sized rim sprockets
Oregon chain grinder wheels
026 plastics
026 clutch
044 3/4 wrap handle
066 max flow air filter kit
West coast bark box for 066

Ok I’ll be here all day typing this lol.

EDIT below turnt into something a little more rambling gibberish than I intended but it took a long time for my fat fingers to type it so there it is …..

I agree with Bill G above ….. slow down and focus on one two things. Finish rebuilding that 015 and buy a couple extra parts of whatever you need to finish it to build an inventory. Contact local tree services and see where they take their saws to get fixed and see if they have a basket case or two you can prove yourself with.

I give you a lot of credit for wanting to jump in head first but you gotta swim a bunch of laps before you can confidently compete. Most business ventures I currently am part of have made their way towards me and felt right at the time. For example ….. I purchased some Enogen seed corn from a local dealer and am now partnered with him and together we have grown to be one of the larger dealers in the nation. I used the product, saw success with it and am selling it locally a lot easier because I also grow it and feed it. It is a lot easier to talk to a potential customer if you are also a customer of your business.

Build your own tree service business and branch out with that. Seems like you’d gain respect from potential customers a lot faster in all the other adventures you’ve discussed on AS if you were living it day in and day out. Once other companies start to see value in what you’re doing the other ideas you have can be focused on until you’re too busy and have to hire help.

You need to seriously s...l...o..w down jumping from thing to thing. You change your focus more than probably anyone I have ever seen. I know you are about 14 but if you want a future in the business you need to learn patience NOW and not later. I, as well as many others have watched you bounce around sometimes twice or more in 24 hours.
You were doing carving
Then you tore apart a 015.
Then you got stumped and tried selling it.
Then you asked me about a USG
Then you said you did not need one cause you got a FG-2
Then you said you wanted to do sharping.
Then you said you wanted to do saw repair. (but not fix the 015)
Now you want to be a ebay parts seller.

You have done all this in just a matter of a week or two

Slooooooow down, Rome was not built in a day, mechanics are not born overnight, successful businesses are not created in hours.......FOCUS on learning one thing at a time!!!
I still do carving. Do you have an ignition coil for a 015? I do want to fix the 015 and I have been working on it because I must complete a couple of basket cases before I can start doing things. fleaBay will be good to have because selling parts is much easier than making a product, spending copious amounts of time and money on SEO and marketing, and only getting a few sales. People will not always wanna spend money on wood carvings, but will always need saw parts and service.

Lately on eBay or other where online I have purchased …..

Chain loops
Rolls of chain
Various sized rim sprockets
Oregon chain grinder wheels
026 plastics
026 clutch
044 3/4 wrap handle
066 max flow air filter kit
West coast bark box for 066

Ok I’ll be here all day typing this lol.

EDIT below turnt into something a little more rambling gibberish than I intended but it took a long time for my fat fingers to type it so there it is …..

I agree with Bill G above ….. slow down and focus on one two things. Finish rebuilding that 015 and buy a couple extra parts of whatever you need to finish it to build an inventory. Contact local tree services and see where they take their saws to get fixed and see if they have a basket case or two you can prove yourself with.

I give you a lot of credit for wanting to jump in head first but you gotta swim a bunch of laps before you can confidently compete. Most business ventures I currently am part of have made their way towards me and felt right at the time. For example ….. I purchased some Enogen seed corn from a local dealer and am now partnered with him and together we have grown to be one of the larger dealers in the nation. I used the product, saw success with it and am selling it locally a lot easier because I also grow it and feed it. It is a lot easier to talk to a potential customer if you are also a customer of your business.

Build your own tree service business and branch out with that. Seems like you’d gain respect from potential customers a lot faster in all the other adventures you’ve discussed on AS if you were living it day in and day out. Once other companies start to see value in what you’re doing the other ideas you have can be focused on until you’re too busy and have to hire help.
My basket case for becoming a Saturday employee at the rental yard has been the BT 106 I have put off but will revisit when I get the last of the parts. I have been working on my mindset very much now.

Alright, that is a good one. I just don't know why some people here feel the need to make a conversation about business about sex.
Because your going to get screwed when in business.

Beware of the tax man.

Oh wait, your actually too young to pay taxes.

Because your going to get screwed when in business.

Beware of the tax man.

Oh wait, your actually too young to pay taxes.
Unfortunately here in the good ole USA they can and will tax you at any age. I first started paying Social Security taxes at age 13 or 14. The funny thing is even if I make it to 65 I will never be able to draw a penny from it.

You know, when I joined the site wouldn't allow people under 18 to sign up and I thought it was stupid. Now I understand it. If you wanna jump into the land of 40+ year old blue collar workers you better be old enough to actually interact with them. This isn't face to face. I can't see that you're 14. And last I checked (less than 2 minutes before this post):

3. Age Restrictions

3.1. Arborist, Chainsaw & Tree Work Forum's Websites are not intended for or directed to persons who are minors (typically persons under the age of 18, but may vary depending on where you live). Use of Arborist, Chainsaw & Tree Work Forum's Websites is restricted to persons legally permitted to enter into a binding contract. By accessing a Arborist, Chainsaw & Tree Work Forum Website, you represent that you are legally permitted to enter into a binding contract (18 years of age or older in most jurisdictions) or are at least 13 years of age and are only accessing the Website under the supervision and with the consent of your parent or guardian, who agrees to be bound by this Agreement, and that any information you provide us is not inaccurate, deceptive, or misleading.

So, before you go accusing people of "grooming" because they made a humorous comment maybe accept that you are a minority as well as a minor.
Alright. I see your point. Can we just make this thread about chainsaws again?

Back