1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

weekend projects

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by excess650, Mar 8, 2009.

1. excess650

excess650 Addicted to ArboristSite

Apr 7, 2008
    I took my muffler modded Makita DCS401 and Husky 242 out to tune "in the wood". The Makita (now)just rips for a small saw, but the 242 was a disappointment, so both went home.

I pulled out my 36" 114dl chains and sharpened both in anticipation of doing some milling. The skip chain was still pretty sharp despite milling 9 slabs of white oak up to 30" wide and 8' long. The full comp chain needed a bit more work, but wasn't as bad as I had thought.

From my parts I assembled an 026, and fired it up. After sharpening a rocked out chain, I tuned it in wood. It screams on top end, but seems a bit rich on the bottom. I'll try a carb kit, but otherwise, its good. The little sob oils like a Husky!

Today I pulled the muffler on the 242 and had another look. The muffler seemed like it might be restrictive despite the PO having removed the screen. I removed the inner baffle, and replaced the screen. When I tried to check the compression, the :censored:starter rope broke, so that was replaced. While I was at it, I pulled the cylinder and had another peek at the inside. The cylinder, piston and ring had been rehabbed after scoring, but I could see light streaking in the cylinder and a dark spot on the ring. My replacement piston was some .030" shorter from center of the wristpin to the crown, and would give lower compression than I was looking for. Instead, I opted to use the old piston, new ring, and deleted the base gasket. Squish was decreased by .015", and compression raised by 20# to 180#. Retuning with tach found a no load RPM increase from just shy of 14K to 15K. I think that I can add another port to the muffler without hurting performance, but that's for another day.
    J.Walker likes this.
  2. J.Walker

J.Walker Addicted to ArboristSite

Aug 20, 2006
    I finished cleaning my 238se. Still runs great for a 24 year old saw. This is just a little smaller than the 242.

3. Modifiedmark

Modifiedmark Tree Freak

Dec 2, 2007
    I messed around a little with the Mono. Trying to see why the clutch is engaging at idle, think it needs new springs.

Did I mention how loud that thing is in the garage!:dizzy: