What was the first chainsaw you ran?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First one I ran was my old man's 066 falling saw. I wanted to learn so bad but not so much using with "his baby" but got the it's time you learn to handle a saw talk and away we went

First saw was a Poulan, thing was a beast! Never could keep that damn chain tensioned properly though..
Poulan%20Chainsaw%20NIB.JPG

The first saw I ever ran was an old husky 51 my dad got. I honestly don't remember how old I was. Probably 12 or 13.

The first saw I ran was one of my Dad's gear drive McCully falling saws. He fired it up an sat it on a log for me. The real story is the first saw I owned. It was a Wright with about a 24" bar. I traded my deer rifle [Nice 300 Savage] for it. I was 19 with a wife and baby and no firewood. The saw had a chisel bit chain and I had no idea how to file it. I used a 3 corner file. When I first went to work in the woods I used a Mac81 on the landing. My first falling saw was a Stihl 051. Over the years I've used em all but probably cut more timber with Stihl 056 and 044 than anything else. I've now got a Husky 372 that seems to be a decent little saw.

August 1969 thirty Knicks north of Ahn Khe RVN building a fire base. Large Remington direct drive so it could have been a PL-55. Whacking off 6-10" trees to support overhead protection on our bunkers. No notch, just cut straight accross leaning against the tree. Cut it off and let my guys limb it with machetes.

First saw i ever ran? Seriously, who can remember back that far. I was about 6 years old and daddy had his arms around me helping me hold the saw up. We where cutting dead beetle killed yellow pine. Saw was a Sthil, size, i dont have a clue. I do remember it was cold and I had a brown corduroy coat with the hood cinched up so tight I couldnt hardly turn my head.

My first saw was my Dads Stihl 041AV, I was about seven or eight years old. It was around 1992, we got a whole load of red alders delivered to our residential driveway for free. Rented a splitter, and went to it. The saw was heavy, not super loud but still fun to run.

About 1962, I think it was a red home lite, then I think it changed to blue. I think they called it a zip, but I am not sure , but I do know that it weighed a ton for a little boy to tote to the lap wood to cut fire wood.

If I am wrong, will someone correct me.

Back