worst saw ever made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got to call it like you see it...never had a 45cc quake, my 38's seem to be pretty good little saws. Still waiting for somebody to run one long enough to wear it out.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

well we took 10 4518 vipers from earthquake to sell and see how they worked all but one came back and various problems dont know about the 38cc but i would be careful with it might break it just by looking at it wrong

got to call it like you see it...never had a 45cc quake, my 38's seem to be pretty good little saws. Still waiting for somebody to run one long enough to wear it out.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I've been loaning out my HUSKYQUAKE to anyone that needed a saw around there house so far worst thing is it lost a chain something about hitting a rock

Not to ressurrect an old thread but I had been avoiding saws like the Mini Mac and the like until someone gave me a couple of Power Mac 310 chainsaws that looked pretty good but didn't run. I thought I noticed the problem with one right away, the fuel line was laying in the tank broken. Fixed that, although not easy, gassed it up but still wouldn't start. Rebuilt the carb, still wouldn't start without prime although I replaced fuel and pulse line and rebuilt carb. It ran real well just won't start cold. Around 150 compression. I'm thinking now it might be a leak at the carb base. I don't like chainsaws that require you to take a bunch off the saw to get to the carb other than air filter and cover. The 310 is fast becoming my favorite saw to hate..

Well since you bumped it. I will say an Eager Beaver. Gave up on getting to the Carb on it. Put it back together and back in the saw tree for decoration.

I don't like chainsaws that require you to take a bunch off the saw to get to the carb other than air filter and cover.
They got it right with the later Mac3200 series. This is shown with the left case half removed, but you don't need to do that to get to the carb - comes right out the top.
IMG_1807-800.jpg

They got it right with the later Mac3200 series. This is shown with the left case half removed, but you don't need to do that to get to the carb - comes right out the top.
View attachment 482344
Funny part about those. They are still junk saws. I did get a couple. Replaced fuel lines sharpen chain and muffler mod and sold em. Still have some plastic parts for one if you need anything

They are still junk saws.
See, I don't agree with that, although you are of course entitled to the opinion. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-se2012s-mac3200-a-v-conversion.277788/

It's a light, tough and sturdy saw with a lot of guts for the displacement. There's a lot of plastic, but the structure is metal from the engine to the bar.

IMG_1784-1024.jpg

All it needs is a little more intake duration and a muffler mod, both of which are trivially easy to do.

IMG_1787-800.jpg

I don't think I have a great reply for this thread, I have worked on crap saws, 2150 poulans, wildthings, craftsman junk, but none I would consider worst ever made. Yet. Even though my 575 xp has got to be in the running as of right now

I do have the 38cc engine and keeping that for a toy engine cause of the bar mount casting on the bottom shell. They do respond nice to a muffler mod. It's a night n day difference

I do have the 38cc engine and keeping that for a toy engine cause of the bar mount casting on the bottom shell. They do respond nice to a muffler mod. It's a night n day difference
I got a super clean 38cc earthquake for free. I kinda like it, like I like dime store novelties..

Mac Cat 001.JPG I think I got the first 310 running but not sure until I start it cold. I cut a bit with it today and it's pretty good for a top handle. Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky with the second one. I thought I remembered starting it on a prime a few days ago so I put new fuel and pulse lines on it, sealed up the intake good, slapped it back together and it wouldn't hit a lick, even priming it. I checked and it had no spark, checked the kill switch and it was okay so looks like the module is bad so I sat it in the corner with my parts junk.

View attachment 482344
I think the fellow that gave me the 310s also gave me a couple of those also, of course they don't run either so I'll check them out later.
I just checked and they are 3214 saws. I've had those before, not the best, not the worst..

Worst saw I delt with years back was a puke green black n decker top handle similar to the Poulan 2000s. It was really loud. When it did run. Gutless. And had more vibes than a rock concert. Full choke cold 50 to 70 pulls. Warm easy start

Branded ones: Husqvarna 136 / 236 - Stihl 170 / 180. They're crap...

The unbranded chinese are all ****.

I do remember some ancient (late 70's?) Echo's my grandfather had.
They were borderline bulletproof and all metal. Tough as nails, as they say.
But they are so down on power, especially relative to weight, you could actually cut faster with a good handsaw! :D

Interesting what Chris PA has to say about increasing intake duration. Such a simple mod really, just remove a little of the piston skirt in the right spot. I revived a mini mac similar to a.parmer's and apart from being heavy for a top handle they run pretty well. When I am bored and feel like stripping and putting back together my minimac, it will get some grinding on the piston.

We moved recently and the Mac310 finally got throne away, it was in pieces and hadn't been touched in about 7 years. It was good when it ran and it ran for a long time, but when it finally quit, man it was a bear to take apart and it stayed apart. I can't say if they were the worst, but I'm sure that some real turds were sold at Sears and some of the other old big box stores. I suppose that it's Ford vs. Chevy, because I hear some praise the Wild Things and others say how awful they are.

Black 55cc Craftsman made by Cheng Feng Enterprises in Taiwan. Shittiest saw I ever owned. On the upside, Sears refunded my money so that I could buy a Hooskie.
I had a black Craftsman 55 once and had to sell it for parts because I couldn't find an oiler gear for it. I tried Sears, McCulloch, and the lawnmower factory that made them, no luck.

Back