worst saw ever made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was the 10/10 McCulloch, with the McCulloch carburetor, i bought it new in 1967. It started when it was cold, but once it was hot you were out of luck, it flooded. I traded it in back in 1969 for a new 601 Jonsered, these were very good saws.

Last edited:
My buddy likes it well did until he got a ms 192
but I didn't care for his Husky235, its just soft and the av keeps your from being fast. I felt like that squishy feel wasted my energy.

It ain't the saw that makes it bad. It's the paint. If it's yeller, it ain't no good. :laugh:

My buddy likes it well did until he got a ms 192
but I didn't care for his Husky235, its just soft and the av keeps your from being fast. I felt like that squishy feel wasted my energy.

Both are crap - and that "Husky" is made by Poulan, as is the 236 and 240.

That makes sense, because no other huskies feel like that, and a 435 is a much better saw. My neighbors son uses his 435 a lot and if sharp its a decent little saw if you have never run a 346. That being said a lot of saws will work if you haven't run a 346.

USED.....plastic poulan pro's buying them new seems ok....getting them used
they seem to poop out. I got parts of several to put one together..maybe it will be the good one :cool2:
thanks workshop Steve :) for the good motor, but, not being a saw mechanic, I do best with good running saws and minor repairs
havent completely rebuilt anything yet

I drink the mcculloch cool aid. It is well aged and has fermented pretty well. Like a forty year old bottle of whiskey.

i don't know about you guys but i hate a lot of the homelites. don't flame me for it i just don't get how anyone can have fun running those. most of the ones i got before i joined here came to the range where they met their end. now any homelites i find i will be sending to a friend on here. i hate those saws especially the xl12 ;)

Mine was the 10/10 McCulloch, with the McCulloch carburetor, i bought it new in 1967. It started when it was cold, but once it was hot you were out of luck, it flooded. I traded it in back in 1969 for a new 601 Jonsered, these were very good saws.

it seems I've never seen a good running 10 series with a mcculloch carb. they're either locked up or won't start/run right.

Now an SDC 10 series is another story!:laugh:

You know,

The thing is.........................they are all really not bad when used with the original intent in mind.

Take the POS mini Mac's for instance.
I have a buddy that bought one for $89.00 20 years ago and he uses it for the purpose it was intended, to remove a couple of limbs a year so they don't knock his hat off when he mows his "lawn". He swears it was one of the best purchases he has ever made.
It never fails to start and run (albeit anemically) when he pulls the rope.

The POS Poulan "El Cheapo" saws?
They are PERFECT...........for the job they were designed to do. They aren't much for a firewood saw or for heavy cutting, but that was never what they were designed to do.

The 029/290/yada yada saws,
They have put an AIRCRAFT carrier full of firewood in stoves every year since they were introduced.
No, they aren't the best saw for pro use that Stihl ever designed, but they were never intended to be a pro saw. If you use them like they were intended, they fill that niche perfectly.

You wouldn't buy a Volkswagen beetle to pull a semi trailer, why wouild you buy a homeowner saw to cut "pro" amounts of wood????

Flame away boys.

Mike

I personally think a Mark 1 Frontier Automatic is the worst saw ever. I have one, what a piece of junk :mad:

You know,

The thing is.........................they are all really not bad when used with the original intent in mind.

Take the POS mini Mac's for instance.
I have a buddy that bought one for $89.00 20 years ago and he uses it for the purpose it was intended, to remove a couple of limbs a year so they don't knock his hat off when he mows his "lawn". He swears it was one of the best purchases he has ever made.
It never fails to start and run (albeit anemically) when he pulls the rope.

The POS Poulan "El Cheapo" saws?
They are PERFECT...........for the job they were designed to do. They aren't much for a firewood saw or for heavy cutting, but that was never what they were designed to do.

The 029/290/yada yada saws,
They have put an AIRCRAFT carrier full of firewood in stoves every year since they were introduced.
No, they aren't the best saw for pro use that Stihl ever designed, but they were never intended to be a pro saw. If you use them like they were intended, they fill that niche perfectly.

You wouldn't buy a Volkswagen beetle to pull a semi trailer, why wouild you buy a homeowner saw to cut "pro" amounts of wood????

Flame away boys.

Mike

way to stop us in our tracks:msp_w00t:

now what should we argue? Dishwashers?:dizzy:

I rebuilt an 031 for a friend as a surpise. Didn't find it particularly difficult to work on, but I've overhauled a few saws before that one. He was thrilled at how well it ran (I only said I tuned the carb a bit, just to see his reaction).

I am in the middle of my first complete rebuild, its an 031. Not finding it difficult to work on at all. I grew up with one in my hands, they are great saws for their time and still a bunch of them around.
As far as worst saw ever, has to be Husky 455 rancher cause its built like junk and the Stihl 012 cause I find it difficult to work on.

I am in the middle of my first complete rebuild, its an 031. Not finding it difficult to work on at all. I grew up with one in my hands, they are great saws for their time and still a bunch of them around.
As far as worst saw ever, has to be Husky 455 rancher cause its built like junk and the Stihl 012 cause I find it difficult to work on.

No surprices there - it is what it is! ;)

Latest posts

Back