worst saw ever made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stihl ms 180 with that stupid non adjustable carb must be in with some of the worst. Pity because good little runner when no adjustments are required.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I will start us off with the PM 340, also sold as numerous skilsaws. My reason is that it makes a minimac seem easy to work on, and a wildthing well designed. Dont even get me started on the main bearings.... :msp_angry: Its also totally gutless for its size, and clearly meant to be made as cheap as possible, and has no thought on ease of servicing.
I will always have a soft spot for pre-bankruptcy McCullochs, but I have to agree about the design and servicability of the Power Mac 300's. When my PM 310 finally quit about 6 years ago I tried to take it apart for repairs, there's a reason why it's still apart. What a bear to work on, horrible design and that coming from McCulloch fan. The more I read from this group about how horrible they are, plus my own experience, the more I'm wondering if it is worth reserecting.

Cant claim it is the "worst saw ever made" as my experience is limited at this point to the last 15 yrs......... but the saw I owned that I hated the most, and gave me the most trouble is without a doubt the Stihl 019T. It never ran right, multiple trips to the shop and other mechanics- it was just garbage. Finally crapped out and I didn't give it another thought- it was almost a relief. Ive thought of the 201 but am really wanting to hold out for the 540xp. As soon as I buy a 201 the 540 will be released- that's just my luck.

I will always have a soft spot for pre-bankruptcy McCullochs, but I have to agree about the design and servicability of the Power Mac 300's. When my PM 310 finally quit about 6 years ago I tried to take it apart for repairs, there's a reason why it's still apart. What a bear to work on, horrible design and that coming from McCulloch fan. The more I read from this group about how horrible they are, plus my own experience, the more I'm wondering if it is worth reserecting.

I was actually referring to the canadien power machinery model PM 340. Made in vancouver in the 60s &70s. Also sold as the skilsaw 1629, 1645 ect. No relation to mac, but I can easily understand the confusion.

Threads like this have been started before. They almost always end with gnashing of teeth and arguing among the troops. I hope this one has a different outcome. I like pretty much all saws, that is why I am here. The new Homelite Ranger type saws do annoy me though. The brakes melt down even when there is nothing wrong. Once they starrt to melt, they drag more and the problem compounds. The only proper fix is to replace the engine cradle or remove the brake entirely.

Unlike most of you I don't think I've ever had a bad saw. I started with Pioneer P20 and added a P12 later. Those were very good saws to me. Then I went to Huskys and Stihl saws. I even had one of those big old David Bradley w/28" bar with Tecumseh engine. Got it used in a deal but it ran like a champ and never let me down.
Looked just like this one.
Vintage David Bradley Chainsaw 917 60003 | eBay

Probably more times then not, its the operators errors the saw is junk.
I used a Homy 360 in my early days and blamed the bar and chain failures on high rpms throwing off the bar oil, thought it was junk mainly cause of that, but if I knew then what I know and do now, might not of been so bad, even the new Husky 55 owned many years later which would be the worst saw I ever owned and used for myself, could of been cured mechanically had the right person worked on it soon enough and may be it would of not been so bad. I've heared though from multiple other local dealer sources though that you get significantly more small Huskies that need work then another major brand. Somebody mentioned Chinese Homies, about 90%+ I see that have been used are seized or so low on compression they are hardly usable in my book and worth little as parts. 019's + 031's are my less favorite saws to work, especially the 019 on but when they are working right fine, the 031 by the standards of that era are nice and balance with and run a 20" 3/8 bar fine.

Probably more times then not, its the operators errors the saw is junk.
I used a Homy 360 in my early days and blamed the bar and chain failures on high rpms throwing off the bar oil, thought it was junk mainly cause of that, but if I knew then what I know and do now, might not of been so bad, even the new Husky 55 owned many years later which would be the worst saw I ever owned and used for myself, could of been cured mechanically had the right person worked on it soon enough and may be it would of not been so bad. I've heared though from multiple other local dealer sources though that you get significantly more small Huskies that need work then another major brand. Somebody mentioned Chinese Homies, about 90%+ I see that have been used are seized or so low on compression they are hardly usable in my book and worth little as parts. 019's + 031's are my less favorite saws to work, especially the 019 on but when they are working right fine, the 031 by the standards of that era are nice and balance with and run a 20" 3/8 bar fine.

Many of the saws mentioned, 031 and others are difficult to work on the first time. After a few of them they're not so bad. Same with the Homelite 150. The saws that I turn down when they are free are the Mini-Mac, old small Skil saws, plastic newer Homelites and McCullochs, the Craftsman 55 made by MTD. The lunch box McCullochs don't appeal to me either..

I used to use a ms170 for that.
Actually in all serousness The little ms170 may be cheap and worthless to some But i Love mine.
I cut about 2 cords last winter and never missed a beat, that little saw has been dropped, hit, beaten to #### and still runs good. It dont owe me a dime. Its probably had 10 cords on it by now and 10 gallons of gas at least and i havent replaced nothing on her yet.

Actually in all serousness The little ms170 may be cheap and worthless to some But i Love mine.
I cut about 2 cords last winter and never missed a beat, that little saw has been dropped, hit, beaten to #### and still runs good. It dont owe me a dime. Its probably had 10 cords on it by now and 10 gallons of gas at least and i havent replaced nothing on her yet.

Mine way straight gassed, and had a busted flywheel. I stopped using it for a door stop when I found it was ligt enouh for a light breeze to close the door and push it away.

The Husky 36/41/136/142 series of saws are my personal thorn in my side.

But the worst all time saw is the Promac 610 and related series of saw.

Heavy and ugly but most of the 610's are still running today 10ft of water or straight gassed still start right up and run all day..unlike the complete orange plastic line that scores and ruins pistons and 90% of the posts here are ( What's wrong with my Husky) and a good reason I don't work on that brand in my shop they don't make enough Advil.

Worst saw.. Husky 1989-Present

Heavy and ugly but most of the 610's are still running today 10ft of water or straight gassed still start right up and run all day..unlike the complete orange plastic line that scores and ruins pistons and 90% of the posts here are ( What's wrong with my Husky) and a good reason I don't work on that brand in my shop they don't make enough Advil.

Worst saw.. Husky 1989-Present

Drink much Stihl Kool-aid?

Looking at your signature have you bought any saws since 1989? Pretty narrow minded to dog on a brand that owns MAC

Why are you all making fun of my saw?

33 cc's of the finest engineering you will ever see.

2t4SN7O.jpg

Don't be a hater because you're jealous.

Latest posts

Back