Yet Another 'Which Tree For My Yard' post!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In Maryland, between DC and Annapolis. Zone 7b. Soil is between 6 and 6.5pH. Location: West side of house. I have a dead Japanese maple (arborist guesses the roots choked themselves) and am looking to rip it out and plant another tree. Mainly looking for 1) a pretty tree and 2) some energy savings from shade on the house in the afternoons and evenings.

So far I have looked at dogwoods and serviceberries which seem to only top out at 25'. At maturity they might provide some shade but I have a 2 story house so the benefit might be minimal... though I'm open to opposing opinions if there are any? Sourwood similarly seem like it might be too small (30' from what I'm reading) unless any of these trees are capable of growing taller in our Maryland soil?

Considered elms but while there are improved varieties resistant to Dutch Elm it seems that Elm Yellows are still an issue. Then Lindens came up, but several sites said that American Lindens are fairly susceptible to strong storms -- which concerns me because I have three white pines on the North side of my house and they shed branches with regularity in the face of stiff winds. Little leaf Lindens had mixed reviews, some sites saying they are susceptible and some saying they are fine... not sure what to believe.

Kentucky Coffeetree was also considered but I think it's too slow growing for my taste.

Thought that yellowwood might be a great option for a while, but then I read that they are also susceptible to storms. We get those with regularity here (and in fact a neighbor two doors down just had a large maple fall on their house last week, so I'm sensitive to that right now).

That leaves a couple options for me: Gingko (though it seems too slow growing for me), Sweetly Magnolia (though some sources say it goes up to 30-50 feet, while others say it tops out at 20), or some sort of maple cultivar such as Red Sunset. I'm also reading that chokecherries can grow up to 40' (there's a 74' specimen here in Maryland).

Any thoughts from you guys?

Just remember a few basic facts.

1) If it grows fast and tall over the soil, it grows even faster underneath. If you plant a tall, fast growing tree consider at least protecting water pipes, foundations etc with impregnated root barriers.
2) Big tree usually equals a lot of leaves or needles for you to dispose of.
3) No tree is immune to extreme weather, such as late/out season snowstorms. There's always a chance of broken branches or worse.
4) Tall trees are hard to remove/maintain and the closer they are to a house, the harder to maintain they are. Hard means expensive (if you hire an arborist) or exhausting/time consuming (if you do the job yourself).

Just remember a few basic facts.

1) If it grows fast and tall over the soil, it grows even faster underneath. If you plant a tall, fast growing tree consider at least protecting water pipes, foundations etc with impregnated root barriers.
2) Big tree usually equals a lot of leaves or needles for you to dispose of.
3) No tree is immune to extreme weather, such as late/out season snowstorms. There's always a chance of broken branches or worse.
4) Tall trees are hard to remove/maintain and the closer they are to a house, the harder to maintain they are. Hard means expensive (if you hire an arborist) or exhausting/time consuming (if you do the job yourself).

Thank you! I've got a number of very large trees on the property - a Red Maple on the east side that's about 60' tall, a Red Maple on the SW side that's about 50' tall, and three White Pines on the north side that are about 70' tall. I already have a lot of raking coming my way this fall...

Yellowwood is not inherently weak like pear or linden. It does, however, need extra attention to help it have stronger structure. But it is a long time away from 25' tall too. I wouldn't consider it a shade tree as much as an ornamental.

Chinese elm - also called lacebark elm (NOT Siberian) is a good recommendation.

I like Sugar maple over the Red or freemani...But I don't plant a lot of maples because they are already everywhere...Mostly the reds. Paperbark (slow growing) and Hedge are others I like.

Same with honey locust. They'll grow anywhere...But that means people have planted them everywhere.

I always look at oak options. Maybe scarlet oak on the low pH? Nice fall color.

There are some crabapple cultivars that will go 20-30'. Look for fire blight and scab resistance and ones that hold their fruit. By the time they come off they'll be like hard raisins.

Serviceberry are nice. Easier to find as clump form, but I like single stems.

Hardy rubber tree is a nice medium shade tree.

The list could go on if you are still looking...

I love yellowwood. Underutilized in my estimation.

I always push for more species diversification to help spread out common pest and disease problems. So look for a genus or family that isnt planted very often.

Yellowwood is not inherently weak like pear or linden. It does, however, need extra attention to help it have stronger structure. But it is a long time away from 25' tall too. I wouldn't consider it a shade tree as much as an ornamental.

Chinese elm -so still es called lacebark elm (NOT Siberian) is a good recommendation.

I like Sugar maple over the Red or freemani...But don't plant a lot of maples because they are already everywhere...Mostly the reds. Paperbark (slow growing) and Hedge are others I like.

Same with honey locust. They'll grow anywhere...But that means people have planted they everywhere.

I always look at oak options. Maybe scarlet oak on the low pH? Nice fall color.

There are some crabapple cultivars that will go 20-30'. Look for fire light and scan resistance and ones that hold their fruit. By the time they come off they'll be like hard raisins.

Serviceberry are nice. Easier to find as clump form, but I like single stems.

Hardy rubber tree is a nice medium shade tree.

The list could go on if you are still looking...

Really appreciate the feedback!

Sugar Maples grow huge... but I agree maples in general are overrepresented in the area. the bulk of what we have are maples, oaks and beech. Allegheny Serviceberry looks like it goes up to 30'. Great suggestions on the crabapples and hardy rubber tree, looking into those.

I love yellowwood. Underutilized in my estimation.

I always push for more species diversification to help spread out common pest and disease problems. So look for a genus or family that isnt planted very often.

I agree, absolutely. I'm looking at planting some dogwoods on the east side where my 60' red maple is, either Jane's Appalachian Snow or Venus, and a serviceberry. Would love to fit a fringe tree or smoke tree in there somewhere (yard's approx. .39 acre, so I think I definitely have room). Only problem is the presence of a power line about 20' high along the back line of the yard.

Hold off on the Fringe tree. It is in the olive family (with Ash), and has been found to be susceptible to Emerald Ash Borer. I wouldn't plant one until we know more about that. The pest is very manageable when you get it early and stay on top of it...but why plant a tree with a known pest unless you are building a collection for show?

wow...lots of typos in my first post! Was typing on a tablet, and I think several of those were auto-corrected. Had someplace to be so didn't take the time to edit. Try it now if it didn't make sense before!

Hold off on the Fringe tree. It is in the olive family (with Ash), and has been found to be susceptible to Emerald Ash Borer. I wouldn't plant one until we know more about that. The pest is very manageable when you get it early and stay on top of it...but why plant a tree with a known pest unless you are building a collection for show?

Good to know, thanks. Hadn't come across that particular data point.

With dogwoods, you have to shoot for disease and borer resistance. Look into the Stellar Series, aka Rutgers Hybrids, as well as Chinese/Kousa dogwoods.

With dogwoods, you have to shoot for disease and borer resistance. Look into the Stellar Series, aka Rutgers Hybrids, as well as Chinese/Kousa dogwoods.

My local nursery stocks Jane's Appalachian Snow which is anthracnose and powdery mildew resistant, so it seems like a good option. Venus also looks nice, might get one of each.

I| have one in my yard. Its about 20' tall at ~8 years. Bigger ones I've seen have significant surface rooting, but I'm not sure whether it's a species issue or a cultivar issue.
They have a nice shaped leaf and nice fall colour.

Back