024 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
epicklein22
So I have been working on an 024 for quite a while now. New piston, then a air leak(my fault), torn key(my fault), new impulse tube and fuel line. So my latest problem deals with starting. I can always get it to start, but it is nothing like my other saws....

When I have it fully choked, I can pull away and never hear a pop. Switch it up to half choke and it takes a few pulls and it will start, but doesn't pull much rpms at all (most of my saws really turn so rpms on half-choke). I blip the throttle to unchoke it and it seems to run fine.

My other saws take a pull or two on full choke, pop. I switch it to half-choke and they light off and rev up really fast. I blip the throttle after a few seconds and let them warm up.

So what could be causing my starting problems? Do most 024s start like this? Do they lack rpms on the half choke position? I replaced the spring that controls the choke rod. The choke lever in the air filter is sealing off well. It has new gas line and impulse tube. Do you think a new diaphragm or carb kit would solve it? Seemed fine when I took it apart.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Easy - just tweak the throttle rod slightly (out of the saw)... Someone has likely taken it off the carb without removing the handle cover -that bends it the wrong way...

That will solve you H speed interlock and likely your starting.

Last edited:
epicklein22
Easy - just tweak the throttle rod slightly (out of the saw)... Someone has likely taken it off the carb witlout remvoing the handle cover -that bends it the wrong way...

That will solve you H speed interlock and likely your starting.

Hmm, I see what you are saying. It is tight in there. I will give it a try. If it doesn't work....I can dig through a parts 026 at my dealer and try that rod.

Thanks Lakeside.:clap:

epicklein22
Oh it works... if you bend the correct part.;) Look at your throttle shaft just in case the interlock nub is broken off or worn.

Well, I should have inquired some more. I started with a minor tweak, nothing different. Bend it some more, nothing different. Bent even more, now I am in trouble..:censored:. Off to the dealer on Monday. I am about to work on that sucker there instead of keeping making trips back and forth for minor parts.:dizzy:

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
You can tell how much it needs by touching the throttle at idle - there should only be tiny amount of slack trigger. If that's right and no high speed interlock, then the problem is switch shaft or trigger.

Last edited:
epicklein22
Alright, the throttle rod was as you described before I started bending it. I think I will take it to my dealer and start playing with other parts. This saw has been a pain in the @ss; mostly my fault though, but I have had a few stupid things go wrong.

yo2001

yo2001

ArboristSite Operative
I adjusted my throttle linkage on 026 yesterday. Found that bending the end of linkage where it rides the tab on the carb was effective. Mine wasn't going to wot.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
There's a right angle (not really, but..) bend in the rod - adjust that...

They never need adjusting unless someone in the past had tried to remove them without removing the handle cover first.

Latest posts