025 will not start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
025's are kinda notorious for having ungodly compression. I know my 025 pulls harder than any saw I own, I mean, with no elasto-start you really have to be on your game. Last I checked it, it was sitting on 165 cold and dry, after a pull or 2 on choke, it went up a bit.

it's not even rebuilt..its well used.

Any word on the 025?
The 025 still will not start even after fixing the ring problem. I pulled on it yesterday untill my arm gave out, best it did was about a 30 second run. I did a few compression checks and it stands at just a little over 125 psi. I do think it has more and the compression gage is way off because I tested a few good saws I own and they were reading just about the same thing. I am now thinking it may be a carb problem, because the plug keeps getting wet after 4 or 5 pulls. I am going to put my 021 carb on and see what happens. If it doesn't start with that then I have no clue what is wrong with this saw.

I would look at that flywheel's key, myself..... well first.....

I am thinking your timing could be off from you filing the flywheel key. Not sure how critical that position really is. Do you have the correct gap between the flywheel and the coil? A business card (thickness) works well for that.

Couple of good suggestions above. Did you follow-up with these? Check again for spark. Also, improper adjustment of the L side of the carb can also give you the symptom you're experiencing. Turn it (the L screw) all the way clockwise and then back it off about 3/4 to 1 full turn CCW.

You may have to get the fuel out of the cylinder first before you try it again.

Couple of good suggestions above. Did you follow-up with these? Check again for spark. Also, improper adjustment of the L side of the carb can also give you the symptom you're experiencing. Turn it (the L screw) all the way clockwise and then back it off about 3/4 to 1 full turn CCW.

You may have to get the fuel out of the cylinder first before you try it again.
Been there and done it all. This is an update for everyone !! I removed the carb and installed my 021 carb onto the 025 and and after just a few pulls it fired up and i ran it for about 20 minutes at high idle and hitting the throttle once in a while. It smoked a bit when it first started up but after a few minutes it cleared up and ran perfect. I don't know what is wrong with the carb but I am going to look at the parts breakdown and make sure I am not missing a gasket or something before ordering a carb kit. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a kit and also I need the back cover which covers the whole air box area if anyone has one laying around. Thanks for all your help and input on this project, it has been fun and also frustrating but it feels good to know I have fixed it,lol.:cheers:

Been there and done it all. This is an update for everyone !! I removed the carb and installed my 021 carb onto the 025 and and after just a few pulls it fired up and i ran it for about 20 minutes at high idle and hitting the throttle once in a while. It smoked a bit when it first started up but after a few minutes it cleared up and ran perfect. I don't know what is wrong with the carb but I am going to look at the parts breakdown and make sure I am not missing a gasket or something before ordering a carb kit. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a kit and also I need the back cover which covers the whole air box area if anyone has one laying around. Thanks for all your help and input on this project, it has been fun and also frustrating but it feels good to know I have fixed it,lol.:cheers:

Carb kits are cheap. If it is an 025 and not a MS250, chances are it is/was time for a carb kit. Any saw that I acquire usually gets a new kit, just because most of the time they are that old and it is easier to troubleshoot knowing the carb is clean with fresh gaskets.

Here is the link for Bailey's:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CRB+K20+WAT&catID=410

Do yourself a favor and buy some extra plugs and a new fuel filter.

Btw, when cleaning the carb, use brake cleaner, not carb cleaner. And if you have an air compressor, don't even think of blowing the passages out with it. Too much pressure. It will ruin the check valves inside the carb. Brake cleaner with the included "straw" is sufficient.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back