026/260 or 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think I need another saw to fill the gap between a ms210-16" and a 048-24".
I cut some 30-35" oak and maple Sunday and decided I dont need anything bigger than the 048 for now. Someday I may have to have a 660 but not yet. After finishing up the smaller 10-20" stuff with the 048, I thought it would be nice to have a lighter saw in between the 2 for this job. So....

ms210 2hp 9.7lbs
048 6?hp 16.8lbs

I would guess around 4hp 12lbs would be great. So I go looking at an independent saw shop today and he has a couple of used 026's

026/260 3.2hp 10.6lbs

Nice and light but not 4hp. One saw was pretty rough for $250, the other real nice for $350. New about $480. He stands behind his saws so I dont mind buying used.

361 4.4 hp 12.3lbs

Right in the middle but close to $600

So what do you think guys. Light is important but I dont want to get another "small" saw, but a "middle" saw.

I've got the 361 and I love mine........I havent had it long enough yet (maybe 4 weeks or so) but I've used about 8 or 9 tanks of fuel thru it now......smooth saw, fast revving, speed demon in the cut!....the chain brake works really nice when crawling around thru limbs and such....easy on and off!. Starts easy......I've used a lot of saws...I'm impressed with this one!.

We're still talking a pretty big saw in the 361 though...not far off from your 048.
I'd like too try out one of the Dolmar 5100's......they're getting good revues also and a bit lighter than the 361.

given the saws you own the 361 fits right in the middle for both weight and power.

its a no brainer DUDE!

:greenchainsaw:

I got a used ms 260 and was kinda disappointed in it. The 260 barely kept up with an old beat up 024 that I got for $25. I followed Lakeside's advice and drilled a couple of more 5/16" holes in the front muffler cover and adjusted the carb. What a difference. Now I really like the 260.

If your looking at used saws to fill that gap I think the 26's are on the light side for efficiency unless you are using them in 8 inch and under average wood. Those prices sound on the high end to me unless they are better then what you discribe. I think an o34 or 036 would be very good choices. Power would be just right for a 20 inch bar or less, and they seem to fit well in the truck toolbox or whereever. If you see a good deal on an good running o41av or o31 I bet you would like either one provided the engines where up to snuff. An 031 or 032 up on compression and properly tuned feels pretty good with a 20 inch bar and skip chain. I would only consider the 041 with AV because the non AV will make you vibrate. All those saws will be significantly lighter and easier handling then the 048 starting with the 034 then 031 and up. If you have the money to invest and plan on a lot of long hour projects with the chainsaws get the 361. They are the easiest on your bones and joints and have a better air filtering system and very good power to weight ratio. The o31 and 032 I would say are smoother then the other old models mentioned. You may want to consider when you buy that the saw could eventually end up smashed or stolen and your investment lost. I lost my first 066 mag to the bottom of a big oak sliding off the stump to the bottom of a frozen ditch with the saw inbetween.
I like the 048,just bought an o42 off ebay + an 048 spare engine in another deal. I am waiting on a sprocket and it should be ready to rock and roll.

361 right saw - wrong price.

Although the 361 fits well in his power to weight requirements I sense that cjk would rather not spend the $600 price!?!

I know it's not a Stihl - - but why not consider the NE346XP?? 3.7 hp and a trim 11.2 lbs?? Price about $450.

Al - - :cheers:

Although the 361 fits well in his power to weight requirements I sense that cjk would rather not spend the $600 price!?!

I know it's not a Stihl - - but why not consider the NE346XP?? 3.7 hp and a trim 11.2 lbs?? Price about $450.

Al - - :cheers:

The NE346xp and the 5100S sure are very nice saws, but they can't replace the MS361 as an allround saw! :)

ST -
They SURE CAN when PRICE is a determining factor!
But I know you often don't worry about the price issue as others sometimes do.

AL

Last edited:
361 it is then

Thanks for the info guys. The price doesnt bother me knowing I will use it a long time, and for what we save on heat, the Wife understands I need tools to make wood. The easy answer is to buy both but not right now.

I totally agree with you...price often gets ignored when people on here are making saw recommendations. Thats why you hardly ever see a non pro saw ever recommended.

Yes, and some people may look at a 5100 and 361 side-by-side and say, "Hmmm, 0.4 more horsepower and $200 more expensive...that works out to $500 per extra pony". Then they buy the 5100...not that it's necessarily the better saw, but it's a heck of a better bargain. And very well could be someones perfect all-around saw. Same could be said for the 7900 in its class.

Yes, and some people may look at a 5100 and 361 side-by-side and say, "Hmmm, 0.4 more horsepower and $200 more expensive...that works out to $500 per extra pony". Then they buy the 5100...not that it's necessarily the better saw, but it's a heck of a better bargain. And very well could be someones perfect all-around saw. Same could be said for the 7900 in its class.

The differense is a bit more than .4hp, with Dolmars "updated" number, but the 5100S sure is a bargain in the US......:)

Over here, the picture is totally different - the PS5000 actually cost more that the 361, and the 346xp quite a bit more than both.
The 361s also have a tad more power than the US ones....

Back