026 Can This Be Saved Or Junked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an update. I have never done this before, was interesting to say the least.
I made a vacuum/pressure tester. Real work of art, looked like ER.
Anyhow the saw would not hold more than 3 inches of vacuum, no obvious leaks. So I did the pressure test using some pressure testing fluid, no obvious leaks, covered the whole saw with fluid. But searching I had read some posts of Lakesides on leaky flywheel side seals. And some others on saws that had a hard time staying tuned as this one did. Well I dont have a Stihl puller so cant see in there.
What to do??? So I sealed up all the orifices and dunked the saw in a five gallon bucket of water, it was under pressure at this time. and low and behold I get bubbles from the flywheel side seal. So will have to get that done. Should I do both seals?? Bearings seem fine.

If you wanted to be proactive I guess you could change the clutch side seal also, but in all honesty I haven't seen a tremendous amount of clutch sides go out vs the flywheel sides. You can pickup a flywheel puller from your dealer fairly reasonable...or else there are a few home brewed techniques to getting them off if you wanted. Also, you will be able to buy the whole gasket set which includes all the gaskets (crankcase, cylinder, exhaust, and both seals) for cheaper than buying two individual seals if i remember right. So you may want to just buy the whole kit and change the flywheel side seal now and keep the other stuff for future use.

Here is an update. I have never done this before, was interesting to say the least.
Anyhow the saw would not hold more than 3 inches of vacuum, no obvious leaks. So I did the pressure test using some pressure testing fluid, no obvious leaks, covered the whole saw with fluid. But searching I had read some posts of Lakesides on leaky flywheel side seals. And some others on saws that had a hard time staying tuned as this one did. Well I dont have a Stihl puller so cant see in there.
What to do??? So I sealed up all the orifices and dunked the saw in a five gallon bucket of water, it was under pressure at this time. and low and behold I get bubbles from the flywheel side seal. So will have to get that done. Should I do both seals?? Bearings seem fine.

Hello!

Nice, you got the 5th dark green!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd just do the flywheel side -clutch side rarely fails... it's in a clean environment (so long as no one has used old engine oil for bar lube!).

I'd just do the flywheel side -clutch side rarely fails... it's in a clean environment (so long as no one has used old engine oil for bar lube!).
Thanks
I have taken it in for just the flywheel side to be done. I don't have the proper flywheel puller or one of those real nice Stihl seal pullers.
I can't justify the cost of those for the amount of saws I will ever work on.
But lets see I retire in 17 months, what will I do???:)

So I replaced the P/C with OEM. What a pain getting the wrist pin clip in.
I had 160+ compression unfired (lots of premix oil inside). Ran it for a few minutes got it warm an had 150+:) . So I have to go find some wood to cut, I am in the city so will go out and find a log in the bush to give it a try along with my shinny, stihl009l and 066!!! I have not cut with these yet.
Beats housework!!! LOL

Back