026 cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigsitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm relatively new to working on saws and have picked up a complete non running 026 for $30. After looking everything over I noticed the cylinder is rather rough which brings me to my question; can the 026 cylinder be bored out or do I need to look into replacing it with a new P&C? Thanks for any help!

It isn't cost effective to bore a chainsaw cylinder. You may be able to just hone the cylinder and buy yourself a new piston. Otherwise, there is a guy on ebay that sells new OEM piston and cylinders for $65.

It isn't cost effective to bore a chainsaw cylinder. You may be able to just hone the cylinder and buy yourself a new piston. Otherwise, there is a guy on ebay that sells new OEM piston and cylinders for $65.

and they are a great OEM set too! I just put one in my 026 yesterday!
-Ralph

I bought 2, 026 pistons from him.......very nice, also have 2 PC kits
on the way one 44mm and a 44.7mm

Thanks for the prompt responses! Anyone want to clue me in on what the ebay sellers ID is so I can look up what he has to offer?

Thanks again! At that price this project just might get moving faster than I originally planned on!When replacing the top end is there anything else I might want to inspect or change out while I've got it apart?

Thanks again! At that price this project just might get moving faster than I originally planned on!When replacing the top end is there anything else I might want to inspect or change out while I've got it apart?

A repair manual and a IPL ........and 0.5mm cylinder gasket
check impules hose.......do you know why the top end went.

IMO the first thing I would do is tear it down and make sure
the bottom end is ok........before I spent much money

confirmed, bolt pattern is the same. did mine yesterday
-Ralph

There is a slight difference. The Exhaust port is about 1 - 1.5mm shorter to allow for the insertion of the cooling plate between the muffer and the cylinder. You can probably get away with it but the muffer if fit a bit better, and the cylinder will cool better, if you insert the MS260 part.

Cooling plate : 1121 141 3200 - $1.85

A repair manual and a IPL ........and 0.5mm cylinder gasket

Oddly enough, I discovered that I can get service manuals and IPLs from thedealer cheaper than fleabay. Of course, some dealers are evil about manuals...

About $199..

I bought a bunch of these P&C a few years ago from the same guy, and just did the same last week... Snap them up.... the will be gone..

Thanks. I've thinking about a project saw, either 026 or 044. This is pushing me in the 026 direction, for sure.

Will a guy beable to tell a power gain.....in going with the
44.7mm over the 44mm PC

Hard to say.. they made it larger and droped the HP to 3.2 (from 3.5) when they changed the ports to meet epa.. but they REALLY muffled the muffler at the same time, so open it up...

I'd say it has "potential"::D

Hard to say.. they made it larger and droped the HP to 3.2 (from 3.5) when they changed the ports to meet epa.. but they REALLY muffled the muffler at the same time, so open it up...

I'd say it has "potential"::D

The older mufflers had a inside baffle.........the newer ones don't..Why?

The older mufflers had a inside baffle.........the newer ones don't..Why?

The baffle was generally on the 024 muffler... sound dampening mainly.

The new muffler have a tiny pea hole... and dampen their own.. Open it up, and you'll see how noisy an 026 can be.

The baffle was generally on the 024 muffler... sound dampening mainly.

The new muffler have a tiny pea hole... and dampen their own.. Open it up, and you'll see how noisy an 026 can be.

Makes sense..........I know that a saw with the baffle is not as
loud with the cover opened up as one with out the baffle.......
quite a bit of difference.

One more thing on the mufflers, none of my older muffler covers
would fit on the new 260 unless the edges of cover where ground
down to fit.........maybe its just my muffler.

The heat shield thing is good to know........tell, tell for 44.7mm

Back