026 cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The repair manual and parts book were my first purchases for this saw.I learned a long time ago it's cheaper and less headache to buy the manuals before starting any project such as this.I'll take the advice on further teardown before ordering the P&C.

026 / MS260 P&C Install Issue

Saw posting by Trigger-Time, he'd bought a couple of 026 PC Kit. I bought 44.7 PC Kit from the same eBay seller for $65 for my MS 260. Installation was a snap, no major issues. Engine runs on first try, although the entire unit shook around quite a bit initially. Thought everything was fine. 2 days later, tried to use for the first time (after about 30 minutes or so of warming up), but when revved up the engine, it died. Same thing happened each and every time afterwards. Thought it needed "break in", ran the engine at idle through 1 tank of gas (fresh & proper mix this time around), but still same result. Need help, thanks.

Could be as simple as your L screw not rich enough, but... It sounds like fuel starvation most likely caused by a crankcase leak. First check the obvious stuff though - clamp tightend on the cylinder/intake boot, impulse hose in place, fuel hoses o.k., cylinder bolts tight? A quick pressure and vac test is in order.

So... you put a new P&C on a saw, so I assume the prior one had burnt up? Did you find the reason why the first failed??

260 PC Install

Thanks Lakeside53, I'll check the obvious stuffs tomorrow. A friend also suggested crankcase leak. I double checked the clamp, looks fine, cylinder bolts were tight, fuel hose fine, the only thing I can think of is I used the old cylinder gasket, could that be a possible source?

Prior PC scored / scoured badly - accidental usage of gasoline without oil mix -- did not label containers properly - expensive lesson learned.

When I took to a Stihl dealer, they wanted $340 ($220 for parts and $120 for labour), can you believe that? Might as well buy a new one (cost $449).

Thanks again...

It's a bit high, but can believe it.. Around here it would be about $250.

Yes, the old gasket can be a problem. shouldn't do that..

The most common cause of a crankcase leak on an 026/MS260 is the flywheel side crank seal.

Latest posts

Back