026 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have checked, double checked, and triple checked everything and I am 99% certain its not an air leak. Put everything together this morning and started it up, and at first it would just bog when you hit the throttle and stall out if you tried to feather it. I leaned the high out about a 1/16 of a turn and let is idle for a sec and the it would let you hit the throttle if you feather it. After a few more seconds it would throttle up fine. At this point I am starting to think the carb may be bad over everything else. I have no clue why the saw went out of service to begin with, and the owner dosnt remember either. It has a wt-194 on it, anybody seeing anything different than what I am seeing?

By any chance did you pull the welch plug on the carb and make sure there is nothing under there?

No I didnt do that, didnt even cross my mind. Will try that this weekend and see what it does. Seems like its acting like its getting too much fuel, rather than not enough. Inside of the muffler is wet, and and it just bogs down like the H screw is out too far. I have been setting at 1 turn out to start, and its still bogging down.

I wish I had a good coil and carb to try out, but this is the only 026 in my possession at the moment. If it was my saw I would just start replacing things until it ran right LOL. And it might end up working out like that. The guy it belongs to dosnt want to put a ton of money into is because it will just be a spare. He is a good friend of my dads and a good guy all around, and I would like to help him out if I can. Top end is in perfect shape, so to me its worth fixing. For now I just have to wait until I can get a hold of him and see what he wants to do. I thought this was going to be an easy fix LOL.

Hey Brian, PM me your address and i'll send you any parts you want to try, i'll pull parts from one of my saws. Let me know.

If you have fuel in the muffler then you are flooding it. The metering lever is off a bit.

I will check the metering lever again, but I had just set it with the tool.

Hey Brian, PM me your address and i'll send you any parts you want to try, i'll pull parts from one of my saws. Let me know.

Thank you, pm sent.

Do you have the old diaphram off the carb? Post a picture of that and the new one. The last walbro kit I got from the dealer had a longer tab on the diaphram than what the old one had. If you have it set for the old style it's flooding it.

Do you have the old diaphram off the carb? Post a picture of that and the new one. The last walbro kit I got from the dealer had a longer tab on the diaphram than what the old one had. If you have it set for the old style it's flooding it.

I will check that out. Didnt pay attention to the tabs at all. I think I still have the old on my bench. Usually takes a month or two of sitting before anything gets thrown away on my bench, dont see why this would be any different LOL.

This thing is giving me more problems than a 30 year old Mac LOL. I replaced the welch plug, looked clean under there, checked the fuel pump diaphragm, its identical to the old one, switched the needle( I thought I used the new one, might not have though) and after playing with the mixture screws got it running pretty good I think. However if you turn it towards the starter side it starts to race a little, dosnt keep climbing but jumps about 700-800 rpms. Other than that it sounds good so far. Not sure if I should take it out and test it though. To me that would sound like an air leak, and I have tested and retested and it holds vac and pressure. What do you all think, it holds a steady high end rpm and 4strokes, could it just be a fuel related issue still? Does it sound like a different carb may fix it? And should I give it a test and see how well it is cutting?

This is a real long shot but if you haven't already checked, try tightening the cylinder bolts. They can work loose and cause an air leak that may be hard to detect.

I would give it a couple of test runs at this point and set the H so that the fourstroke clears out and the engine pulls strong in the cut. After getting that set right the saw may run better. Sometimes a saw will gain RPM due to the mounts flexing when the saw is turned from one side to the other.

Ran about two tanks through it, and its a lot closer but still not ready to be sent back to the owner. It was cutting ok but would almost sound like it would miss on occasion, and it would either be rich or lean, could not seem to get it to stay in between. I would make it richer and it would be too rich, lean it out and it would be to lean. It may be a combo of coil and carb, but at this point I think the carb is either no good or beyond my ability to make run right. I dont have a ultrasonic cleaner to try to see if its just still dirty, but I have done everything else, I think. Going to try another carb and see what that does. Will my coil from an 044 work to try that out?

Now that you have spent a few days swearing at this saw, have you come to any conclusion yet? How does the air filter look on this saw? Did you replace it?

Now that you have spent a few days swearing at this saw, have you come to any conclusion yet? How does the air filter look on this saw? Did you replace it?

The main conclusion I have come to is the saw does not like me at all:givebeer:. I am going to try a different carb and see what that does. I suspect that will cure it, but will find out in a day or two. I am against my recommendations, just doing the minimum to get it running, so I havnt replaced the filter but I dont think the filter is that bad at all. Hope to have some results up in the next couple of days.

1steve was nice enough to let me borrow a carb to try out and see if that did anything to fix the problem. I got it the night before last and quickly swapped the carb tried to start it up and it just started racing on me. So pissed off I just put it away and decided I would mess with it this morning, so I started to take it apart to pull the carb out and looked at the fuel tank and it looked funny. It just so happened that I was just about out of fuel. So I put fuel in it and it fired right up. Amazing how that works. It seemed to idle good and and throttle up good, so I took it out to test on some wood. It seemed to do pretty good. It still would want to bog down occasionally, but it only happened when either I pushed down pretty hard, or I got down to about a 1/4 tank. The local shop I got the fuel line from said there was two for the 026 one straight and one shaped like an S. I got the S one and that might have something to do with it wanting to die out when it gets low on fuel maybe? All in all I think another carb and replacing the impulse line and it should be good to go. BTW please rep 1steve for letting me borrow the carb!!!

Last edited:
Hey Brian...Remember when tuning, the H&L have to work together and the Low side adjustment affects the High side. Having read and reread your earlier post with the original carb being to lean and then to rich made me think perhaps you are a bit lean on the L and there's not enough in the H to run the saw at WOT under a load. I would try fatten up the Low side in good shape and trim out the idle with the throttle idle screw, then tune the High. Don't know just thinking...

1steve was nice enough to let me borrow a carb to try out and see if that did anything to fix the problem. I got it the night before last and quickly swapped the carb tried to start it up and it just started racing on me. So pissed off I just put it away and decided I would mess with it this morning, so I started to take it apart to pull the carb out and looked at the fuel tank and it looked funny. It just so happened that I was just about out of fuel. So I put fuel in it and it fired right up. Amazing how that works. It seemed to idle good and and throttle up good, so I took it out to test on some wood. It seemed to do pretty good. It still would want to bog down occasionally, but it only happened when either I pushed down pretty hard, or I got down to about a 1/4 tank. The local shop I got the fuel line from said there was two for the 026 one straight and one shaped like an S. I got the S one and that might have something to do with it wanting to die out when it gets low on fuel maybe? All in all I think another carb and replacing the impulse line and it should be good to go. BTW please rep 1steve for letting me borrow the carb!!!

Glad you got it figured out, glad i was able to help.

Latest posts

Back