028 AV Wood Boss question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattergun13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got offered an 028 AV Wood Boss that runs great and has a new Stihl bar and chain for $170.00. Cosmetically I would say the saw is in 80-85% condition. I know the owner and he is trustworthy, any advice? Also I have run the saw myself...thanks.

What kind of advice are you looking for? If you know the guy, the saw runs good, and you like it, it should be worth $170. I've never owned a 028, but I've never heard anything particularly bad about them.

Good luck with whatever you do!

What kind of advice are you looking for? If you know the guy, the saw runs good, and you like it, it should be worth $170. I've never owned a 028, but I've never heard anything particularly bad about them.

Good luck with whatever you do!

I really liked the 028 Supers, 28's are fantastic saws, true pro construction.

$170 is a very fair price for a solid runner.

038 Super to Magnum?

As heavy as my 036 and less powerful but as reliable as the sun coming up

scattergun13 - Sorry for hijacking this thread. The 028 AV is a good dependable saw. I've owned a couple and they are gems.
Mad Professor - in your sig line I see you are converting a couple 038 Supers into Magnums. I have a Super and also a new Magnum piston/cylinder. What's the process to fit the Magnum P&C kit to the Super crankcase? I'm pretty sure its not just a bolt-on.
Finnbear

Last edited:
That was my first saw ever I got it for my b- day 20 years ago. still run,s like new . they had a little problem at first but I change the chain and sprocket. it run like a champ. if you have big hands and you can,t control them then you will have a problem with the choke . some guy,s hit the lever and kill the saw. that dose not happen to me but just giving you all the feed back I know . $170.00 for that saw is a very fair deal if it is as good as you say. best of luck Bill :chainsaw:

I just bought a 028 super about a month ago and I gave 170.00 shipped for it, it needed a bar and chain and a few misc. parts, if you know the guy I would definitely buy that saw, you can find parts for them scattered here and there, good luck!

scattergun13 - Sorry for hijacking this thread. The 028 AV is a good dependable saw. I've owned a couple and they are gems.
Mad Professor - in your sig line I see you are converting a couple 038 Supers into Magnums. I have a Super and also a new Magnum piston/cylinder. What's the process to fit the Magnum P&C kit to the Super crankcase? I'm pretty sure its not just a bolt-on.
Finnbear

Do a search or PM me. I described it on a couple of threads. Romeo just started on one too. Besides the usual tools you'll need a dremel and some cutters, or turn down the cyl bolt heads like Romeo did.

I've been a lurker here for a while now. I have a 028 also, Mad professor is right, they are as reliable as the sun coming up. But I notice that most of the time they go for $200. give or take, Why only $96?:confused:

I've been a lurker here for a while now. I have a 028 also, Mad professor is right, they are as reliable as the sun coming up. But I notice that most of the time they go for $200. give or take, Why only $96?

Beats me. I sold another one a couple of weeks ago for $242 that wasn't a bit better saw, just prettier. The guy came and picked this one up, gave me $100 even cause he felt sorry for me I suppose.

Thats true-the prettier they are the more they go for on ebay. I bought an ugly TS460 for $76. the only thing wrong was it needed a bath and the handle fixed. Runs fine. Go figure.:dizzy:

Back