028 Super Ignition Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Well... it has been quite some time since I've actually had to buy a repair part for one of my Stihls. But the 028 Super is showing signs of the Electronic ignition going out. Stalling out when it warms up... then a bear to restart until it cools off. It's my main elk camp saw, and it made life hell up there last year.

Anyways... my question is... anybody that has an OEM ignition wants anywhere from $75 to $100 smackers for them. Whether it's ebay or from a dealer... they want a good amount of cash for 'em. I've found a few used ones online, but am wondering if anybody has any experience with the aftermarket ignitions that are available? Any good? I guess if I have to I can pony up the cash for an OEM... but this saw gets used once a year for elk camp. I've already re-ringed it last year, and rebuilt the carb. It ran like a top until elk camp... even retuned it for altitude... damn saw. :laugh:

So... are the aftermarket ignitions any good?

Gary

Good to know. I just picked up an 028 Super with case for $125 to replace my beater 028 WB. Never know when I will need a coil.

Gary, I hope it runs good. Did you put a new head gasket when you did the ring job, or did you go metal to metal and increase the squish?

I didn't know they were the same! Thanks mang!

Gary

Very much the same as the 026, the 044 and some others. And a very easy swap in my opinion. Should be able to pick one up readily for much less than you stated above. I have a source if you don't find one readily.

yeah, $40 and it's in the mail

Fishy... do you have a pay-pal account? Or would you rather do a money order or trade for a goat or something? :) Thanks buddy!

Gary-

Seriously, don't ever buy the Chinese ignitions. They're garbage. Something made in Germany, Sweden, Finland, Italy, or Austria will be good to go.

I had figured that was the case. I wanted to make sure before I wnet and bought one. Good to know that there are New OEM ignitions still available that will fit the ol' Super.

Gary, I hope it runs good. Did you put a new head gasket when you did the ring job, or did you go metal to metal and increase the squish?

I used a gasket. I'm more of a "stock" saw kind of guy. Local smallfry dealer had one on the shelf. But they are now out of business as the owner died of cancer last year. So now I have to go hour and a half 'round trip to Wood's Logging Supply. Which is worth it when I do go there. They have EVERYTHING I need on the shelf.

Gary

Why yes......

Of course if you have a Llama or an Alpaca that looks good in a skirt, then all the better!!!!

I just figure they may be worn out from all of you west coast latte logger/arborists out there!!!!!

They are... they are tired from last night. They're resting up in the shed. Been kinda slow with work lately... So they're gettin' more action than they are used to. :laugh:

Gary

It's kind of a drawn out process. It involves a 1,000 gallons of water, a huge microwave, a shoe horn, red head wedges, lots of bar oil, and hardside plastic shipping crate.

:laugh:

Gary

Ya’ know, call me crazy if ya’ want but…

My string trimmer developed those same symptoms last summer… stalling, difficult or no start hot, etc. I removed the coil, cleaned up the mounting surfaces on both the saw and coil, reinstalled, setting the gap as close as possible. It’s been running flawlessly ever since.

Dad’s chainsaw started acting the same way this year. I removed the coil, cleaned it up, reinstalled with a tight gap… problems disappeared.

This spring my brother brought me his lawn mower… complaining that it was hard to start, and wouldn’t start at all when hot. After trying everything I could think of, including a carb rebuild… I thought, hmmmm… you don’t suppose…?? Yep, took the coil off and cleaned the mounting surfaces, reinstalled, tight gap… it’s been running like a top ever since.

Just sayin’.

Thanks mang! But I cleaned all the parts (electronics included) when I re-ringed the top end. When I got the saw... it was completely torn apart and in a 5 gallon bucket. :laugh:

I had set and then reset the gap a couple different times too. It only started doing it after I had it running for a couple of years. :)

Gary

Everything on the shelf

Evrything on the shelf is cool. Sounds like Driggers in Summerville, SC and Hud-Son's in Mapledale, NY.

Back