031 Av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerehunter

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me which of today's Stihl saws would be closest or equal to my old 031 AV. Im kind of shopping for a new saw but i dont want to buy pretty much what I already have. Also if anyone could tell me how many cc's the 031 is that would be great. First post and love the site! thanks guys

Im not a Stihl guru but I can tell you it would be hard to do a side by side comparison. The 031 design is heading for 40 yrs old. It has a engine that makes alot of torque.It also has anti vibe rubbers that arent the greatest. Go to Mike Acres site and check out ccs. What kind of cutting are you going to be doing, and what size bar and gauge chain? Here is a link that goes right to Stihl section. :) http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=117&Count=30&Expand=121#121

Should line up pretty well to a 260. Really depends what you are going to do with it, but if that is the size you want, just can't go wrong with a 260!!

bigger

I was thinking maybe a 361 or I was thinking a Farm Boss as my dad bought one new in 77 and I thought it would be neat to do the same. Any Farm Boss opinions?

Thanks for the info!!

Last edited:
I believe you could get an MS290 Farm Boss. They were on sale a little while ago at my dealer. Look at the 029 specs on Acres site see if the ccs work. The 290 is a "plastic saw" that a lot of people on this site dont like. :)

Power - about rhe same as a 310.
Quality and ruggedness - more like a 361.

Vibration - like a 1930's Ford on a gravel road.

The 031 was a pro saw of it's day..

Last edited:
Farm Boss

In looking through my Stihl literature, I see the farm boss has pretty close to the same cc's as, say, a 361. What about them makes them "cheaper" or as it was referred to earlier a "plastic saw"? Is this a saw I should stay away from? thanks

In looking through my Stihl literature, I see the farm boss has pretty close to the same cc's as, say, a 361. What about them makes them "cheaper" or as it was referred to earlier a "plastic saw"? Is this a saw I should stay away from? thanks

Stihl makes two types of saws,pretty much. Pro style saws,like the 361, have aluminum crankcasesthat are built as the lower part of the saw. similar to your 031. If you had to get the crank out you would have to split the halves. Turn your 031 over and look at the seam running down the center.
The homeowner saws or plastic saws have an aluminum engine,totally different design than yours,mounted in a plastic cradle with more plastic bolted to it. They are good quality saws just not as tough as pro style saws.
Do a search for 290 vs 361. That seems to be the age old discussion.
I had an 029 and I have an 034,similar to 361,and they both do/did a great job for me cutting 4 or so cords of firewood a year. :cheers:

Power - about rhe same as a 310.
Quality and ruggedness - more like a 361.

Vibration - like a 1930's Ford on a gravel road.

The 031 was a pro saw of it's day..

310 even though it's listed as 48ccs? Not trying to question you, just trying to learn. I have VERY little experience with the older models.

yep... The real equivalent was the 034 (which replaced the 031/32). The 310 is closest in perfomance. There was no epa junk in the 031 days..

thanks

good info guys, thanks for the help. I think I may stay clear of the farm boss even though it would probably be fine. A buddy of mine just purchased a 361 so maybe I will give it a try and see if it fits me better. thanks again

I have a 031 and a ms270. The 031 is a little faster than my 270, not much though. 16" bar for the 031 and 18" for the 270. So I would say it would be real close, probably an edge to the ms270.

031s do have the torque to pull an 18 with no problem and can handle a 20" fine if need be.

I have both a MS260 and the MS361 and dads old 031av which is still in good shape. You can't go wrong with any of the pro saws, light weight, good power, well constructed. I run 3/8 x .050" chains on all my saws for interchangeability.

The current "Farm Boss" is the MS290 (54cc).

The MS310 is more comparable to the MS361 in displacement, but the 361 gets more power out of its cc's, so the MS390 is really more comparable to the 361 in hp.

The 290,310, and 390 are essentially the same saw with different piston/cylinder combinations.

If you're a Deere fan, maybe you should get a closeout CS62 - very similar specs to a MS361.

deere

Its funny you mention that. A friend of mine is a technician at a large Deere dealer and I asked him about their saws. He didnt really have anything bad to say about the Deere saws other than that they were built by someone else. I just went with him to another location that his employer owns that carries Stihl and he bought a new 361. I figured I would stick with the Stihl's also since I can purchase one with his discount.

Back