031 new one on me?????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southbound

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So my BIL brings me his 031 yet again. O and it is in pieces in a walmart bag :hmm3grin2orange: This time I'm told it needs a plug wire.. I decide to investigate a little to see if it has points and it does.. I pulled the knock outs and saw the points froze I then ordered a flywheel puller and pulled the flywheel.. This is what I found...

DSC04387.jpg

DSC04386.jpg

DSC04385.jpg

Now I know that is the condenser with a screw in it I just have never seen this before.. Is this right??? Could this have caused the points to fail???

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Someone probably was trying to change it and pulled off the wire. They are really hard to get out of that hole.

Thats a new one for me too, never seen that done. I wouldn't think it's doing your points any good, but I really don't know.

Thanks!!

The points are done!!!!! I have a set of used and I think I'm gonna go with the wima.. Just doing all the reading I can....

What is a wima??? What I have found is the condsor usually goes bad on these series of saws. If a wima is like a Nova than that is what is needed. I have converted many of these over to a nova and have been successful. I usually mount them on top of the coil and run the wires back under the flywheel. This moves it out of the heat source.

You can use a nova and replace both the points and the condsor. It attaches to the wire that goes from the coil to the points and grounds out to the coil. This will elimanate both the points and condsor.

You can use a nova and replace both the points and the condsor. It attaches to the wire that goes from the coil to the points and grounds out to the coil. This will elimanate both the points and condsor.

this is not a successful replacement.......you have several options

1. if the contact set is ok change the condenser.

2.if the contact set is worn down,pray to your chosen diety that someone

will manufacture a replacement.

3.find a 032 flywheel and ignition.

The aftermarket electronic gizmo changes the timing and the saw will be no

good......:)

I thought if I use the stihl trigger I would have to swap the flywheel but with the nova it was fine????

this is not a successful replacement.......you have several options

1. if the contact set is ok change the condenser.

2.if the contact set is worn down,pray to your chosen diety that someone

will manufacture a replacement.

3.find a 032 flywheel and ignition.

The aftermarket electronic gizmo changes the timing and the saw will be no

good......:)

I had an O31 that had no spark, points US, & condenser tested suspect. NOVA 2 chip was aprox 1/2price to set of points/condenser fitted it up & it ran just as good as my neigbours hardly used one & started more easily, so much so that his friend bugged me to sell it to him. I have fitted Nova &Atom chis to several different makes of saw &the only one to give trouble was a Mac 10/10, which did need the timing adjusting

I had an O31 that had no spark, points US, & condenser tested suspect. NOVA 2 chip was aprox 1/2price to set of points/condenser fitted it up & it ran just as good as my neigbours hardly used one & started more easily, so much so that his friend bugged me to sell it to him. I have fitted Nova &Atom chis to several different makes of saw &the only one to give trouble was a Mac 10/10, which did need the timing adjusting

So you are telling me I should not have to mess with the timing???

So you are telling me I should not have to mess with the timing???

Didn`t have to with the one I fitted the Nova too. Removed points & condenser although you don`t have to, fitted supplied wires [did solder new spade terminal on the end] mounted nova up & away it went . Not an option if you want to keep thing original but if cost & ease of replacement are issues it works well. Every one to his own this is just my 2cents worth

Didn`t have to with the one I fitted the Nova too. Removed points & condenser although you don`t have to, fitted supplied wires [did solder new spade terminal on the end] mounted nova up & away it went . Not an option if you want to keep thing original but if cost & ease of replacement are issues it works well. Every one to his own this is just my 2cents worth

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the way I'll go....

My 2 cents worth: check out this thread (for the Wima angle)

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=123190&highlight=

I went this route, very inexpensive. Some on here prefer the points to the nova, some don't. All I know is it was quite simple, and this saw performs awesome. I'd do this fix again in a heartbeat.

By the way, this fix only works if your points are still good.

Thanks for the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a good used set of points..

By the way, this fix only works if your points are still good.

If the condensor goes down then the points will arc excessively and eventually burn out. The condensor is another name for a capacitor which is what the Wima is. I would be very careful that you have matched the capacitance correctly or you will burn out your points again. I recently converted my 031 to electronic ignition using an electronic ignition flywheel and trigger that I found on ebay.

Regards

Phil

If the condensor goes down then the points will arc excessively and eventually burn out. The condensor is another name for a capacitor which is what the Wima is. I would be very careful that you have matched the capacitance correctly or you will burn out your points again.

I also questioned that, and it was addressed by Flyboy. All covered in the thread I posted:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=123190&highlight=

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back