034 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A couple hours making wood back in early fall. She be a great little firewood saw. In fact nice enough I purchased a brand new case for her. :rock:

002.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

016.jpg

Dang, you could have used the money you spent on the girly case for buying a backup saw. Better go see the saw doctor in town to check your symptoms:jester:

Nice pictures btw

The wife got me mine for Christmas 25 years ago. It just kept on ticking. The only saw I had I like a little better is the O 41AV. You couldn't kill the ones I had.
i
One thing I will never forget is I busted the case, rope side, starting the saw. I could not find one anywhere. Nowhere in Georgia, just nowhere. I found this site and posted I needed one. The help I got was incredible from the men on here. Not to be mushy, but that assistance and caring really touched me. A gentleman on here PM'd me he had one and shipped it to me for $20 and $5 to send it. The saw was dead going to the junk yard till he came up with the cover. To me this site has a special place with me.

Thanks.:clap:

Dang, you could have used the money you spent on the girly case for buying a backup saw. Better go see the saw doctor in town to check your symptoms:jester:

Nice pictures btw

If it weren't for hauling the saw in the rain & snow on the rear of the Forester I'd never purchased the case. Road saw is hard on saws.:)

001.jpg

Great pics! I've had an 034 for years (I forget when I actually bout it. :redface:) Mine still gets used a couple of times a week and always starts by the 3rd pull. It's easily my favorite.

Preston it is a soft wood. If split small it's a great fire starter. The logs I get are from our clearing so I take them as they are loaded. The soft wood I cut as I come to them. Some are mixed with the hardwood & sold. Normally though when I dump a load that is mostly soft wood I will cut it 22 inches & leave it as large as possible & burn it myself in the Clayton.

I have had my 034 for 20 years and I must say, it's a fantastic machine. Still runs like a top.....never had to replace anything more than a bar, chain and plug.

i purchased a 034 from a pawn shop havent had a chance to run it yet. thought about moding it. will this improve the performance. sounds like i got a gopod saw

If the pawn shop model runs as strong as mine no need to modify it at all. I bear down on a 18 in white oak and go. Hickory around 14 inches not a problem.

Same here. My 034 will pull a 20" full chisel fine so long as I don't get carried away with the flat file on the rakers. I want my saw to pull itself into the log though I will admit sometimes needing to lift the saw at times as it will want to be too aggressive. Probably should use a depth gauge but I don’t own one or a guide for that matter. Yelp I be a hillbilly.

Ideal Size for Firewood

Lots of people with these 34s.
Agreed. They were popular because they were so versatile. About half-way between an MS 260 and a 361, they would handle bars from 16" to 25", similar to the 361. So, one saw could be used for limbing and still fell and buck a pretty good sized tree.

I have one here in the shop that is in pieces for parts. The guy that used it just plain wore it out and never took care of it right. I believe the MS 361 weighs about the same but packs more power, so that replaced the 034. I've never bought a small, 16" bar for my 361. Perhaps I should. Instead, I use the much lighter Echo CS 3900 for limbing.

Latest posts

Back