036 muf mod and chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernonFirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i am looking for a muffler modification and a chain brake for my 036.
Anyone who has one of these or knows were i can get on i would appreciate it

not sure about the muffler, but most if not all the chain brake parts for an 036 match the part numbers for a MS 290, the only thing i'm not sure about is the hand guard. hope that helps

not sure about the muffler, but most if not all the chain brake parts for an 036 match the part numbers for a MS 290, the only thing i'm not sure about is the hand guard. hope that helps

Don't think 290 brake handle will fit, think the 034/036/360 are the
only ones that will fit.

On muffler mod.......I think it has a good size hole already.

Last edited:
got hand guard; needs a little more for the muff.

i've got the hand guard i just need a new chain break i think, because when i push the hand guard forward the brake does nothing.

As far as the muffler it doesnt have any openings in the front.

Your brake band is likely broken. Take off the inner cover and clutch drum, and you'll see what's broken. Your Stihl dealer will sell you the parts,

thanks lakeside for the info on the brake. i have a dealer i can get the part from.

And what kind of muff mod would you recommend for the 036? im not to worried about the sparks were i cut.

I'd do what I do on the 361 (tube port). You could do what trigger did to the sides of his 066.

BTW, there is no magic in 2 ports - just make the orginal hole larger leaving the screen etc intact.

I'd do what I do on the 361 (tube port). You could do what trigger did to the sides of his 066.

BTW, there is no magic in 2 ports - just make the orginal hole larger leaving the screen etc intact.

Hi Lake i was planning to copy your 361 muffler (it pains me to type muffler its a exhaust LOL) but your suggestion to open the original hole has me intreagued i have muffler 1125 140 0607 for my 036 qs what about the holed pipe inside
or just follow the nice simple 361 muffler you did? not much chance of putting anything on fire in scotland at the moment LOL

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528&page=3 lakes 361 muffler mod

Last edited:
Back