036 pro carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A few months ago I posted this question regarding an ill running 036 Pro.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5031&highlight=036+please+help

I really appreciate the advice I got here. I followed the recommendations to replace the sealing plate. That did not solve the problem. At that point my buddy that ownes the saw wanted to take it to his Stihl dealer so I never got around to changing the welch plug.

The dealer worked on it and told my buddy the "seals" in the carb were bad from not running the carb empty after the last time it was used. So they sold him a new carb and charged him $160 including labor. Saw ran great with the new carb.

This is my question: Is the dealer hosing him by selling a new carb? Sounds to me like they couldn't figure it out and sold him a new one to get it off their bench and save labor time. I have owned and worked on many 2 and 4 stroke engines and know letting fuel sit in the carb leads to problems most notably varnish build up but have never heard of the fuel eating seals. Why didn't the dealer just replace the bad gaskets then?

Just wondering what you all think. Thanks for any opinions.

It's possible, but not likely that the carb was unserviceable. Ask for the old carb back. 99% of carb problems are due to stretched diaphrams and sawdust restrictions. Nothing that a 5$ carb kit wont fix.
In defence of the dealer, it would probably cost 40$ just to have him rebuild the carb, so if it required a new carb than you did ok.
Just get the old carb back, if he doesnt have it, it's probably on your saw.
John

The newer the carb, the more prone they are to be unfixable.
Buying the carb from a non-Stihl dealer would have saved you big bucks though. Whether or not your friend got hosed by the
dealer is hard to say. Before you buy another carb, post the
make and model number here, most carbs from Walbro or Zama
range from $40 -$60.

What I would have charged. $9 for a carb kit plus $18 labor.
Or about $60 for a new carb and $18 labor.

Our shop charges $48 an hour, and were pretty generous. If it take 45 minutes and isn't a bigass hassle, Ill charge for 30 minutes.

seat

I have had the seat for the inlet needle corrode , then you cannot stop the carb from flooding slightly, very rich and stalls, hard to start. And , yes, this usually comes from old gas that had water in it. I believe in running them dry, but that is a post that has been done before.

Latest posts

Back