036 Pro won't hold vacuum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I'm not driving 300 miles to visit my kid at college I will delve into the topic this thread has derailed to. Perhaps I should start a new thread, but I'm not too smart some times. I didn't read every post on this thread, so I may be late to the party.

My methods are as follows. I vacuum check first. It is the most important. A saw creates a vacuum when it runs, so it's the test that matters. I have had saws that have failed vacuum first, but passed pressure due to seal lips moving back and forth. This has only happened twice in my shop that I recall, but it has happened to me.

To block off the intake and exhaust I use the Stihl pieces supplied in the Stihl required tools that I had to purchase when I became a dealer. For all other model saws I make my own block off plate and seals. I often use inner tube material from heavy duty tubes used on heavy equipment for sealing rubber. I require a saw to hold vacuum or pressure for 15 minutes to call it good. I have performed vac/press tests on saws that would only hold for a minute and still ran fine and had no tuning issues.

Like I said above, I first apply vacuum. It doesn't take much of a leak to give you trouble pumping the pump. If I have a massive leak like this I generally switch right to pressure and attempt to pump. If it's so fast that it leaks down quickly, it becomes a wrestling match trying to pump and squirt soapy water fast enough. On a slow leak, obviously, I will just use the pump. On faster leaks I will use my compressor regulated to 10psi and use the spray bottle. On leaks that I can't seem to reach with soapy water I will dunk the saw in a Rubbermaid tote full of water. I have not issues do this with even the flywheel and ignition attached. They are designed to be weatherproof and a quick dunking shouldn't hurt a thing. With pressure applied, no water will enter the inside of the saw.
At this point I usually have identified the issue. On saws that have slow leaks, make sure you reef on the saw against it's AV, this will often reveal a leaking intake boot as well as some impulse hose leaks.

On those two saws I had a vacuum leak, but not a pressure leak, they were both crankcase seals. For those I laid the saw on it's side and dribbled a little bit of mixed gas onto the seals, when I applied vacuum I could plainly see it being drawn into the seal.

The other way to check for vacuum leaks, one that I commonly use on snowmobiles and motorcycles, is to spray non-flammable brake clean around the likely areas of leakage. An engine will change it's tune or stall when it pulls in the brake clean. My dad uses starting fluid and listens for increase in RPM. How he hasn't blown himself up yet, I don't know. Of course, the damn thing has to run to be able to accomplish this. Usually, my vac/pressure test (I refuse to call them leakdown tests) is used on non-running engines.

The other good use for a good vacuum/pressure pump is to test fuel lines and fuel tanks. A fuel tank should hold pressure and not allow vacuum to build. Often, I will test from the filter end. If it holds pressure both the needle in the carb and the fuel line are good to go.

That's it in a nutshell. All this info is available with a search around here. I don't think anything I do with vac/press is rocket science or controversial. The only thing I find worthy of debate is that I probably vac/press check too often according to some builders around here.

Now that I'm not driving 300 miles to visit my kid at college I will delve into the topic this thread has derailed to. Perhaps I should start a new thread, but I'm not too smart some times. I didn't read every post on this thread, so I may be late to the party.

My methods are as follows. I vacuum check first. It is the most important. A saw creates a vacuum when it runs, so it's the test that matters. I have had saws that have failed vacuum first, but passed pressure due to seal lips moving back and forth. This has only happened twice in my shop that I recall, but it has happened to me.

To block off the intake and exhaust I use the Stihl pieces supplied in the Stihl required tools that I had to purchase when I became a dealer. For all other model saws I make my own block off plate and seals. I often use inner tube material from heavy duty tubes used on heavy equipment for sealing rubber. I require a saw to hold vacuum or pressure for 15 minutes to call it good. I have performed vac/press tests on saws that would only hold for a minute and still ran fine and had no tuning issues.

Like I said above, I first apply vacuum. It doesn't take much of a leak to give you trouble pumping the pump. If I have a massive leak like this I generally switch right to pressure and attempt to pump. If it's so fast that it leaks down quickly, it becomes a wrestling match trying to pump and squirt soapy water fast enough. On a slow leak, obviously, I will just use the pump. On faster leaks I will use my compressor regulated to 10psi and use the spray bottle. On leaks that I can't seem to reach with soapy water I will dunk the saw in a Rubbermaid tote full of water. I have not issues do this with even the flywheel and ignition attached. They are designed to be weatherproof and a quick dunking shouldn't hurt a thing. With pressure applied, no water will enter the inside of the saw.
At this point I usually have identified the issue. On saws that have slow leaks, make sure you reef on the saw against it's AV, this will often reveal a leaking intake boot as well as some impulse hose leaks.

On those two saws I had a vacuum leak, but not a pressure leak, they were both crankcase seals. For those I laid the saw on it's side and dribbled a little bit of mixed gas onto the seals, when I applied vacuum I could plainly see it being drawn into the seal.

The other way to check for vacuum leaks, one that I commonly use on snowmobiles and motorcycles, is to spray non-flammable brake clean around the likely areas of leakage. An engine will change it's tune or stall when it pulls in the brake clean. My dad uses starting fluid and listens for increase in RPM. How he hasn't blown himself up yet, I don't know. Of course, the damn thing has to run to be able to accomplish this. Usually, my vac/pressure test (I refuse to call them leakdown tests) is used on non-running engines.

The other good use for a good vacuum/pressure pump is to test fuel lines and fuel tanks. A fuel tank should hold pressure and not allow vacuum to build. Often, I will test from the filter end. If it holds pressure both the needle in the carb and the fuel line are good to go.

That's it in a nutshell. All this info is available with a search around here. I don't think anything I do with vac/press is rocket science or controversial. The only thing I find worthy of debate is that I probably vac/press check too often according to some builders around here.

So when are even going to even slightly disagree with me? Nice post......

So when are even going to even slightly disagree with me? Nice post......
I have nothing to disagree with. You just haven't experienced a vacuum leak that sealed with pressure. It happens.

I would like to know how Lonewolf finds vacuum leaks since he's not fond of my method. Professional curiosity, not argumentative.

I read with a smile all these posts and must say it sounds like a bunch of women arguing. What should have been resolved in one or two posts took 9 pages. There are tons of info about pressure and vacuum tests. Some people have MightyVacs and others use a compressor, which I admit makes it easier to find hidden leaks.

I read with a smile all these posts and must say it sounds like a bunch of women arguing. What should have been resolved in one or two posts took 9 pages. There are tons of info about pressure and vacuum tests. Some people have MightyVacs and others use a compressor, which I admit makes it easier to find hidden leaks.
Well, if they are "good looking" women in underwear, then it is a win, all around!!!!!!

Well, being a new guy, anything I might ask/add, is always taken as "argumentative."
I have nothing to disagree with. You just haven't experienced a vacuum leak that sealed with pressure. It happens.

I would like to know how Lonewolf finds vacuum leaks since he's not fond of my method. Professional curiosity, not argumentative.
PM inbound

that's gonna leave a bruise....
Not really, though dude seems to have some issue with me.
Nah, I just remember when he changed his name about7 or 8 years ago. It works, you get instant credibility, like Stihl Tech received. Simon had to be the hated new guy for a few months. Lakeside and Thall, well they earned it the old fashioned way.
For the record, the name change was part of me getting more serious about working on saws. As part of that I have continued to add experience, several manufacturer certifications, and have built a respectable reputation locally. I'm not really interested in trading personal insults with you. Shizz like this is what caused me to bench myself for a year or so. You don't seem interested in helping the O.P. at all, and rather would like to show everyone how stupid they are that they don't know your secret "leakdown test" on two strokes. No need in wasting any more time here, I've got way more saws to repair than hours to do it in. Not sure how I'll get by without that secret test.

For the record, the name change was part of me getting more serious about working on saws. As part of that I have continued to add experience, several manufacturer certifications, and have built a respectable reputation locally. I'm not really interested in trading personal insults with you. Shizz like this is what caused me to bench myself for a year or so. You don't seem interested in helping the O.P. at all, and rather would like to show everyone how stupid they are that they don't know your secret "leakdown test" on two strokes. No need in wasting any more time here, I've got way more saws to repair than hours to do it in. Not sure how I'll get by without that secret test.
How does a low post count person know so much anyway :confused:

Well, well... I thought I had got this thread to die, but apparently that's not the case. Apparently people like to stand up for what they perceive as right. I may be one of those fools. All I know is, we're never going to hear about this perfect test and that this thread won't end until posts like mine stop. I'm bowing out. It has been fun, I guess. Hope the OP got something out of this.

c

I, for one, would like to see this "proper leak down test. "
Yeah, I apologize.... My sawed off shotgun hits everything that steps into the street in front of the saloon, sorry my friend.... You are a member that knows his stuff.....

Well, well... I thought I had got this thread to die, but apparently that's not the case. Apparently people like to stand up for what they perceive as right. I may be one of those fools. All I know is, we're never going to hear about this perfect test and that this thread won't end until posts like mine stop. I'm bowing out. It has been fun, I guess. Hope the OP got something out of this.
No, the sad, sick reality of it all is that does not matter about the tests, whether they work or not, but in the reality of fixing this junk, the customer will/cannot pay the expense of these tests, which is the real sad reality here....

Any saw can be fixed, but would it be worth it?
Yes Bill, in a lot of ways it's worth it. You're right, we can't charge for a lot of the donkey dinking around that we have to do. And anyway the customer doesn't want to hear it.
Often times we just do it out of the kindness of our big hearts and that's enough, knowing that it all or some of it comes back to us.
John

I spend more time trying to talk these old rednecks out of fixing their old saws, than I do working on the old crap. They cry, "It was
Grandpa's old saw!!!!! I want to se it run again!!!!! But they raise hell when you even tell them the price of a carb kit, let alone tell
them that the parts for their saw have been nla for 20 years...... I always tell them, "Lincoln was a great president, but they still had to bury him!!!!!!!"

How did you get this thread to die?

Perfect test? No a proper leakdown test involves putting pressure or vacuum on a saw crankcase, both actually, not holding the poor bugger in a bucket of water, and putting the psi to it.

Doing a proper vac test is the harder of the two, as with the mighty vac, it requires some serious pumping, even when the crankcase is solid, and most give up saying that the saw
won't hold a vac....

Latest posts

Back