038 AV Mag 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlmill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found an 038 AV mag 2 for $550. Is it worth it? Has a decent bar and new chain. Runs well. Looks acceptionally good for the age. I have limited time to buy it and I want one. It's German, non red trigger. Don't know if that matters or not but I really like it and want one bad but don't want to let that make me overpay for one. Thanks

Everyone should have one once... $550 isn't crazy but at that price I'd want it to be in nice shape. Run it for a year and sell it to the next guy that should have one, then buy a 460.
Sorry. I fat fingered the phone. lol. $450 it is. Is a 460 way better? Should I not even waste my money on it and just get a 460 right away?

Get one, I have a small problem with them, that being that I love them more than better saws by today's standards.. But accidentally throw it out of your bedroom window and it will probably knock out the cat and fire itself up with nothing more than a chip of paint.. B to the U to the L to the BULLETPROOF!! BUY BUY BUY!

A very clean 038 super just sold at auction for 537.00. A minty 038 mag 2 is at 577.00 with two days to go. My guess it will go over 700 with ease.

Sorry. I fat fingered the phone. lol. $450 it is. Is a 460 way better? Should I not even waste my money on it and just get a 460 right away?
My old 460 and 038 mag ll weighed 14.6 on my scale a few years back. I'd go 460 as it has a good deal more power, 038 mag for a fun vintage saw that can still get the work done.

My old 460 and 038 mag ll weighed 14.6 on my scale a few years back. I'd go 460 as it has a good deal more power, 038 mag for a fun vintage saw that can still get the work done.

Agreed, but then again a 460 has a cc advantage. I'd take a triple port 038 mag over a stocker 044 though. #038cultfollowing

I'm 62 and gave up the 066 for a 441 and a 038 super and I'm a happy camper. The super will do the job just fine.

Thumbs up. I have an 038 mag and now a clean 038 super in bits. Complete original minus bearings seals and piston. Strangely has a clean cylinder and clean oem rings in the parts.. just no piston.

Thumbs up. I have an 038 mag and now a clean 038 super in bits. Complete original minus bearings seals and piston. Strangely has a clean cylinder and clean oem rings in the parts.. just no piston.

Well found the piston but it has been screw drivered as a piston stop

Back