039 muffler suprise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakec

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Would like to start out by thanking everyone for the enormous amount of information that has been given to me since I found this site! Next I want to apologize for my grammar and writing ability up front. Ok on with the thread, I decided to do a muff mod to my 039 and I know that everyone hates the 039 and the MS310 but I actually had A 310 given to me almost brand new and I dont have much in my 039 and I am actually happy with both saws they do a great job on cutting what I need to heat my home and they have for many years now. Anyway it seemed a season or two ago the 039 lost some power compared to what it had and I figured maybe it was just getting tired. When I read the muff mod threads figured it would help it out to get one. Well today I pulled the muffler off for the first time and the piston and cylinder are still shiny and smooth but the muffler had a piece of what looked like pull cord sticking out. I have no idea how it got in their or how long it has been bouncing around in the exhaust. I figure the big power reduction came when it finally worked through one slot and then partially blocked another. This piece of rope is very black and brittle compared to what it should be so I think its been in the exhaust for many many cuts. Well just wanted to share what I found and say the mod went great and saw cuts great(to me) again! I tried to put in pics of the muffler and the rope the way I found it to show all how it looked, hope this threads not to lame for everyone! I was just really surprised to find that rope there.Thought maybe someone may have used it for a piston stop but It would have had to go through the baffle I think so not likely for that either.

Last edited:
Think I messed up the pics, sorry this is new to me hope I can figure out how to the pics better next time.

I hope it really is a piece of cord, and not one of your bearing cages. The plastic cages have been known to fail on those bearings. Hopefully you can get the pics up and we'll help you diagnose it.

Looks like someone used rope for a piston stop and cut the piece that went threw the exhaust and didn't know it.

As for the pictures, either hit manage attachments under your post in "additional options". if its to big i use photo bucket and upload the img url.

Looks like someone used rope for a piston stop and cut the piece that went threw the exhaust and didn't know it.

As for the pictures, either hit manage attachments under your post in "additional options". if its to big i use photo bucket and upload the img url.

Yup :agree2:

Thanks Matt for the photo bucket advice, I had the wife read it and she fixed me right up. The wrong order but I guess I will let her slide on that!:biggrinbounce2:

Hey, I don't hate the 039. I had to rebuild mine and they don't come apart as easily as the pro models but she fires up every time I need her and runs great. Plenty of power on a 20" bar.. Wouldn't use anything larger than that. I did buy a 361 to replace the 039 but after the rebuild I find myself reaching for the 039 more often.

My bad. Without pics, I had no idea what was going on. Yep, looks like the rope piston stop gone bad there.

How about a few pics of the muff after you modded it?

+2. That's about the only way that could have gotten in there. I'm surprised it's not burnt up and gone though.

Latest posts

Back