044 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really had to ask? 044 running for $250 is a buy first thing.

An 044 in the condition the OP described is easily worth $450 even if it never gets used.
One can't have too many 044s!

According to TL, you must run over them multiple times to cause any malfunctions.

Like mdavlee said, do you really have to ask?

Update:

I'm Jealous

The fins are straight, Took the muffler and plug out the cylinder piston looks new. Im happy happy lol.

Randy have you done work on these, It may be my first ported saw,lol you guys have runed me haha,

Thats just how I got it $250 hard case two new chains dulled, but never sharpened. I felt of the head it was ice cold, it hit on the first pull, fliped the choke off and boom. I think I got a good deal. 25in bar.

You got a great deal. Mine came with a 24" bar, but I eventually replaced it with a 20". No matter, put Stihl yellow RS chain on it and keep it sharp and you will love this saw. Mine was made in the first year of production (1993) and starts with 126.

Randy have you done work on these, It may be my first ported saw,lol you guys have runed me haha,

You may be quite content with the saw as is (not to say that you shouldn't have it ported).

My buddy and I were cutting yesterday on some green oak. Roughly 22", he was at one end and I at the other. Full comp on both saws, his a 660 25" bar and my 044 20".

My 12mm walked all over his saw. I thought that to be abit odd (thinking it may be his chain) so I grabbed my 660 with an 8pin. I think my 44 still out cut my own 660. I sharpen my chains so I know there's no discrepency there, just not sure why the 44 cut so much better.

You may be quite content with the saw as is (not to say that you shouldn't have it ported).

My buddy and I were cutting yesterday on some green oak. Roughly 22", he was at one end and I at the other. Full comp on both saws, his a 660 25" bar and my 044 20".

My 12mm walked all over his saw. I thought that to be abit odd (thinking it may be his chain) so I grabbed my 660 with an 8pin. I think my 44 still out cut my own 660. I sharpen my chains so I know there's no discrepency there, just not sure why the 44 cut so much better.

It may just be the 044 runs faster even though the 660 has more power. If the wood were Hickory (which really slows my 044 down), the results may have changed. Here I already have an 044 and I am still jealous! That is just too good looking of a saw for that price. I wish him the best of luck with it, and report back after you "put it into some wood with a sharp chain".

It came with a good 25in bar and two RS chains thats never sharpened, but both are way past dull. I will drop both off to get ground, as i dont have one. And would wear two files out getting them sharp. I look forward to cutting with it.

Nice score. Looks great. The 044 and 440 are my favorite saw. I think the 24/25" bar is a great fit for most all around cutting. I mostly cut big softwood, and usually run a 28" with RSF.

Because it is an 044.

Not to keep asking questions, should I muffler mod or is it good as is. I took the muffler off its a open can, Just make the hole 80% or so and retune.

Not to keep asking questions, should I muffler mod or is it good as is. I took the muffler off its a open can, Just make the hole 80% or so and retune.
No- you should send it to Randy and have him port it. Then and only then will it be "as good as it gets." DUH'R

Latest posts

Back