044 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I
Yes it is, and I'm sure a lot of us notice. You are a fountain of knowledge and always polite and helpful, I nominate you for the:

KNOWLEDGEABLE GENTLEMAN AWARD. Any you deserve it for the information you have provided on numerous occasions.
I SECOND THAT!!!! ALWAYS POLITE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE!!

to jdhacker that is an awesome saw,i just got one that is ugly and rough,but its already my favorite saw!!! thanks for sharing!! sorry, i didnt mean to highjack your thread with the dp muffler questions i ask,but it was a big help..thank you for your thread...

to jdhacker that is an awesome saw,i just got one that is ugly and rough,but its already my favorite saw!!! thanks for sharing!! sorry, i didnt mean to highjack your thread with the dp muffler questions i ask,but it was a big help..thank you for your thread...

NP bud thats what it's all about, it helped me to, as im getting me one.

Yes it is, and I'm sure a lot of us notice. You are a fountain of knowledge and always polite and helpful, I nominate you for the:

KNOWLEDGEABLE GENTLEMAN AWARD. Any you deserve it for the information you have provided on numerous occasions.

Well, this stuff was pretty common knowledge on this site back in the day. But I thank you for your appreciation.

I also picked up an 044 recently and was wondering what makes a 10mil more favored over its 12mil counterpart? Or vice versa? Which is which with the strait fins vs the angled fins? Does the 10mil/12mil relate to bearing size or port timing/cylinder configuration? Thanks all for your time and input.

I also picked up an 044 recently and was wondering what makes a 10mil more favored over its 12mil counterpart? Or vice versa? Which is which with the strait fins vs the angled fins? Does the 10mil/12mil relate to bearing size or port timing/cylinder configuration? Thanks all for your time and input.

The early 044 had 10 mm wrist pins in the pistons instead of 12 mm. As a result, with less weight they respond faster. There is also some hearsay (I'm not sure if it is true or not) that they may have had higher compression and/or freer flowing mufflers. The consensus is that the 10 mm saws run a little stronger even though they were only rated at 5.1 Hp and subsequent 044/440s were rated at 5.4.

Bottom line is they are all great saws. I believe the 10 mm has the angled fins, may have a red (instead of black) control lever, and mine does not have compression relief. If you go to Baileys on line and look at their pistons and big bore kits they will give you the serial # when the change occurred, but again different sources sometimes give different #s.

If you got a good price and your saw is in good shape you have a "classic" and a very good saw. I would not be concerned about the rest of it.

I'm sure you would know better than me, thanks for the information. Do you know if the change in the color of the control lever and/or the adding of compression relief also corresponded with the change from 10 mm? Thanks.

Back when I bought my 044 the 12mm wrist pin (which mine had) was considered better. They had more power. Slap a 460 Mag DP muffler cover on them and you will likely not notice any difference. The later model 440 gained about a half pound in weight along the way as well.

As for levers and decamps on the 044, they did not change with the wrist pin change. My 12mm 044 did not have a decomp on it, but it had a black control lever. I think the red levers were changed on Stihl saws all at the same time. I had some really early 026s with red levers on them.

The early 044 had 10 mm wrist pins in the pistons instead of 12 mm. As a result, with less weight they respond faster. There is also some hearsay (I'm not sure if it is true or not) that they may have had higher compression and/or freer flowing mufflers. The consensus is that the 10 mm saws run a little stronger even though they were only rated at 5.1 Hp and subsequent 044/440s were rated at 5.4.

Bottom line is they are all great saws. I believe the 10 mm has the angled fins, may have a red (instead of black) control lever, and mine does not have compression relief. If you go to Baileys on line and look at their pistons and big bore kits they will give you the serial # when the change occurred, but again different sources sometimes give different #s.

If you got a good price and your saw is in good shape you have a "classic" and a very good saw. I would not be concerned about the rest of it.

It's not so much the weight of the wrist pin. It's the cylinder design and flywheel. A 12mm saw with a 10mm topend makes an excellent runner.

Thanks for the information guys, it appears i snatched an earlier 10mm model. I have a nice 046 jug with the D-shaped chamber lying around. Should i consider installing it, or leave well enough alone IYO?

Back when I bought my 044 the 12mm wrist pin (which mine had) was considered better. They had more power. Slap a 460 Mag DP muffler cover on them and you will likely not notice any difference. The later model 440 gained about a half pound in weight along the way as well.

As for levers and decamps on the 044, they did not change with the wrist pin change. My 12mm 044 did not have a decomp on it, but it had a black control lever. I think the red levers were changed on Stihl saws all at the same time. I had some really early 026s with red levers on them.

Do you know why the 440 gained weight?

Thanks for the information guys, it appears i snatched an earlier 10mm model. I have a nice 046 jug with the D-shaped chamber lying around. Should i consider installing it, or leave well enough alone IYO?

I would leave it be. If it cuts wood...

I would add a DP muffler cover. That is a must for any 044/440 saw. Instant and easy power gain, and the saw will run cooler and better. Nothing to lose.

Latest posts

Back