044 vs 044 magnum vs ms440 vs m441 vs 046 vs ms460 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl the One

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
044 vs 044 magnum vs ms440 vs ms441 vs 046 vs ms460 stihl

I recently bought a used Stihl Chainsaw 044. I was hoping it was a Magnum but to my unfortunate luck is was a regular 044. So i came to the Arborist site and learned so much. Here is what i gathered so far and correct me if i am wrong.

Stihl 044 (pre 2000 YR) 5.1 hp 13,500 rpm 50MM Piston 10MM wrist pin
UPGRADE BIG BORE KIT NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO 10MM WRIST PIN. (saws w 12mm wrist pin are upgradeable)
Stihl 044 Magnum 5.4 hp 13,500 rpm 50MM Pn. Upgradeable 12mm wrist pin

Stihl MS440 5.4 hp 13,500 rpm 50MM Pn. 12mm wrist pin
Stihl MS441 5.5 hp 13,500 rpm 14.8 lbs (Powerhead only)
Stihl 046 Magnum 6.1 hp 13,500 rpm 52mm Pn.
Stihl MS460 6.0 hp 13,500 rpm 52mm Pn. 14.6 lbs (Powerhead only)
:chainsawguy:

I guess i was trying to find out how to get a Saw with around 6 hp under 15 lbs. I thought i could buy the 044 and upgrade the piston and cylinder with a big bore kit (piston/cylinder from 046 w/ mod) and ported muffler. According to many members of this site, and the research i have done, the 044 saws with the 10mm wrist pin are not really worth the amount of work you need to do to them and will break more easily. Does anyone have any pics of the wrist pin? thanx Also is there that much of a difference between the power of an 044 w 10mm wrist pin and and 044 w a 12MM wrist pin??

Last edited:
The 10mm saws run just fine. They can turn 16-17K with no problems.:D You won't gain any more power than stock by just bolting on a BB chicom kit, they need to be ported. Some don't even bolt on without mods. The 10mm saws were claimed to have more power, I can't confirm that. I've ran both and they seem about the same. An older 044 with the larger exhaust outlet will have more power, reguardless if it is a 10mm or 12mm saw.

Unless your saw has low compression, with a known good gauge, check the muffler to see if it has the more restricted one. The outlet will be tiny if so, it needs a muff mod. You can also check your serial # from the info in my sig to determine if it really is a 10mm. Plenty of oem 10mm p&c out there. You might just need to install rings....

Just run it!

I have an 044 (12mm pin I believe) and a 460 that I've run side-by-side. The 044 has a pinch less power than the 460 but it also feels a pinch lighter and more nimble handling. As I switched back and forth while cutting a big batch of downed, HARD oak there never emerged a clear winner between the two. bottom line was the oak all got cut up and I was plenty tired. Lots of fun with both, so just enjoy your saw and don't sweat the specs. Your saw will get the job done.

Olyeller

I would'nt sweat the spec's either. Just run the he!! out of it. If you want a 12mm 044 I'll gladly buy your 10mm 044!;)

i would not worry about it being a 10mm or 12mm just run it. i sold a as member a 10mm a few weeks ago that i ported and he dont seem to care thats its a 10mm becouse it absolutely rips. i laugh when he says it worked him to death by cutting so much wood. and the wood cant tell if its a 10 or 12....jmtc

The 10mm saws run just fine. They can turn 16-17K with no problems.:D You won't gain any more power than stock by just bolting on a BB chicom kit, they need to be ported. Some don't even bolt on without mods. The 10mm saws were claimed to have more power, I can't confirm that. I've ran both and they seem about the same. An older 044 with the larger exhaust outlet will have more power, reguardless if it is a 10mm or 12mm saw.

Unless your saw has low compression, with a known good gauge, check the muffler to see if it has the more restricted one. The outlet will be tiny if so, it needs a muff mod. You can also check your serial # from the info in my sig to determine if it really is a 10mm. Plenty of oem 10mm p&c out there. You might just need to install rings....

how do i get 16-17k out of it, i just bought the muffler mod.

With quite a bit of porting is how to get it to turn 16k.

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my post. Please if its not too much trouble give my post a rating. I am new here and would like to help and contribute everything i learn here. Thanx again Rocco

Also does anyone have an pics of these wrist pins?

thanx for the good info. I will send you the ser. #

Latest posts

Back