044 vs 044 magnum vs ms440 vs m441 vs 046 vs ms460 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon it was weighed on "unofficial" scales man, they are the same saw, dunno, unless they used a new hightech lead p&c i cant see where they gained all that weight.

Come on now Matt. You didnt believe once before and what happened? The sclaes were the same exact scales modifiedmark used to weigh his 7900. hell, I thought everyone knew a 460 was a lot heavier than a 046.......Seriously Matt, I havent been messing with chainsaws that long and even I know a MS460 is a lot heavier than a 046. Ask sawtroll. heck ask anybody. Mdavlee knows. Now please do not get me wrong I love Stihl. You know i have a 660. but to say the 460 weighs the same as an 046 is down right wrong.
IMHO, thats why the Dolmar 7900 is such a legend. It has 6.3 hp compared to the 6.0 of the MS460 plus it weighs a FULL POUND LESS.

Last edited:
I agree with Maclaren. My friend Jonhn had been running the 046 since there first intro. He alway's told me, and showed and proved to me, the earlier 046mag's, were lighter, and had more power. Reason being Im sure smog-epa, and detuning also why slightly heavier. We have two older 046 mag's at work, and two brand new ms 460's. All stock but the dp mufflers on all. The 046 mag has slightly more snap, and feels closer to my 044 in size weight. Not much but it's there. Also if memory serves me right the earliest 046's did not have the plate under the gas tank, to protect it from a thrown chain. That was an upgrade and could ad not much but some weight. John siad the old ones the thrown chain on a landing, punched right through the fuel tank, more than once. Epa smog will always ad weight, and detune look at the early muffler's compared to the new ones. It may take adding a dp muffler, and a retune on the carb, but stock for stock the early 46 had more beans, and was lighter I dont need a scale I can feel it.

I agree with Maclaren. My friend Jonhn had been running the 046 since there first intro. He alway's told me, and showed and proved to me, the earlier 046mag's, were lighter, and had more power. Reason being Im sure smog-epa, and detuning also why slightly heavier. We have two older 046 mag's at work, and two brand new ms 460's. All stock but the dp mufflers on all. The 046 mag has slightly more snap, and feels closer to my 044 in size weight. Not much but it's there. Also if memory serves me right the earliest 046's did not have the plate under the gas tank, to protect it from a thrown chain. That was an upgrade and could ad not much but some weight. John siad the old ones the thrown chain on a landing, punched right through the fuel tank, more than once. Epa smog will always ad weight, and detune look at the early muffler's compared to the new ones. It may take adding a dp muffler, and a retune on the carb, but stock for stock the early 46 had more beans, and was lighter I dont need a scale I can feel it.

Yep, i have had both too norm, lots of em, the only thing that has changed since i was using 046's through to 460's is about 10 years in body wear and tear and i cant say that i have noticed a half pound increase in saw weight between the two, nor have i noticed a power decrease, my guess would be that the "weighed saw" in question was wet, because to me that would be a noticeable gain and people would be squealing about it. If the new model gained half a pound and lost power, well it would be on the "official duds list".

Maclaren, i don't mind being wrong, i have been many times in my life and will be the first to admit defeat, but 15lb 10oz or 7.08KG ? not a chance in the world they weigh that son...

Bingo Norm. I cant help but remember what mweba (Mitch) had said about the 555 muffler. Said it was the heaviest muffler he had ever held. Thats a great example and only 1 of EPA adding weight to chainsaws. But seriously, I honestly thought the 460 weighing more than an 046 was pretty much common knoweledge.....:confused:

Yep, i have had both too norm, lots of em, the only thing that has changed since i was using 046's through to 460's is about 10 years in body wear and tear and i cant say that i have noticed a half pound increase in saw weight between the two, nor have i noticed a power decrease, my guess would be that the "weighed saw" in question was wet, because to me that would be a noticeable gain and people would be squealing about it. If the new model gained half a pound and lost power, well it would be on the "official duds list".

Maclaren, i don't mind being wrong, i have been many times in my life and will be the first to admit defeat, but 15lb 10oz or 7.08KG ? not a chance in the world they weigh that son...

Matt, you will once again be eating your last name for dinner son......:dizzy: Matt, are you saying modifiedmark delibertly weighed a wet saw? I dont think so son. Mays well face the fact that the 460 weighs 15 pounds 10 ounces.

Last edited:
That's cool Matt, everybody has there belief's or opinion. And I am going back to the first run of the 046, untill today. Never weighed em, dont know if it's a half pound, just know I can feel it. A entire family of loggers schooled me on the 046, and there running's. I disagreed at first but saw it with my own eyes. Felt it too the early ones had unrestricted mufflers, and carbs you could really adjust. They ran them stock on the landing limbing, and bumping knot's. Even some falling they later ones they did complain, and they picked up the old ones first every time. The ms460's they had to lean out, and swap mufflers. They cuaght hell with one of the boss's Steve, because they blew up a saw or two, that was to lean. They were trying to get them to run like the early 046mag. They ran them every day, and all day. When it comes to proving ground they will make or break any saw. Parmeter logging, good friends highly skilled, been at it for years. They are still keeping the early 046's going and running as we speak.

Matt, you will once again be eating your last name for dinner son......:dizzy: Matt, are you saying modifiedmark delibertly weighed a wet saw? I dont think so son. Mays well face the fact that the 460 weighs 15 pounds 10 ounces.

Didn't Mark state the ms460 was on a scale weighing in tenths of a lb? As in it was reading 15.10 lbs vs 15 lbs 10 ounces...

Didn't Mark state the ms460 was on a scale weighing in tenths of a lb? As in it was reading 15.10 lbs vs 15 lbs 10 ounces...

You can see it says 15 pounds 10 ounces. Just look at the pic. maybee mark can enlighten us all. Eveen if it was it was still all be the same as the 7900 and 460 were weighed on the same scales. The 046 too as far as i know......
I think I remember what you were talking about and that was in relation to some chainsaw bars I believe?.....At any rate WYK, its cut and dry man. the 460 weighs a full pound more than the 7900. Even the 681 I had was lighter than the 460.
But really whats the big deal? The MS460 gained weight over the 046. Thats all. Thats what im tryin to say. Seems of all people Brad Snelling and Matt Crowe didnt know the 460 gained weight over the 046. Frankly, I couldnt believe Brad didnt know that....

Last edited:
Half pound, or whatever run the o46mag earliest version, and the current ms460. Stock all day limbing, and bumping knot's on a landing, and difference in weight, and power will be known. It's there!

You can see it says 15 pounds 10 ounces. Just look at the pic. maybee mark can enlighten us all. Eveen if it was it was still all be the same as the 7900 and 460 were weighed on the same scales. The 046 too as far as i know......
I think I remember what you were talking about and that was in relation to some chainsaw bars I believe?.....At any rate WYK, its cut and dry man. the 460 weighs a full pound more than the 7900. Even the 681 I had was lighter than the 460.

The scale appears to read:

"15.10 lb"

196304d1314137418-ms460-weight-custom-jpg

ModifiedMark's quote on that image is, "...if you look close my scale is weighing in tenths, not ounces so that shows 15.10 lbs not 15lbs 10 oz."

Perhaps Mark would enlighten us for clarity? I don't have a dog in this race. I'm just curious.

Half pound, or whatever run the o46mag earliest version, and the current ms460. Stock all day limbing, and bumping knot's on a landing, and difference in weight, and power will be known. It's there!

Thats right Norm. The 460 is a legend. No doubt. But is it hard to believe that it gained a little EPA weight as earlier discussed? I think not.
And thats not a bad thing. Hell, all saws have gained EPA weight here and there. but to say the 460 didnt? ........................

The scale appears to read:

"15.10 lb"

196304d1314137418-ms460-weight-custom-jpg

ModifiedMark's quote on that image is, "...if you look close my scale is weighing in tenths, not ounces so that shows 15.10 lbs not 15lbs 10 oz."

Perhaps Mark would enlighten us for clarity? I don't have a dog in this race. I'm just curious.

that might mean even worse than 15 pounds 10 ounces................may mean right at 16 pounds? Or.....15 pounds 1 ounce?.........At any rate the saw did gain weight.

No. Lone wolf is right. the 460 weighs 15 pounds and 1.6 ounces. Matt Crowe, i sincerely apologize. But...it did gain weight from an 046. The way it reads is cornfusin as heck.....lol.
As a matter of fact, it would also appear that the 681 does weight more than a 460 as well.
So the 7900 weighs 14 pounds 10.2 ounces and the 046 weighs 14 pounds 12.4 ounces * a later model 046.

Last edited:
I wish some of you gent's lived a little closer. To come see our proving ground, it's not on a bathroom scale or in a backyard. It's not cutting cookie's, but in the wood's on steep ass ground. And yes there is still big wood. It's on a landing bumping knot's with a pissed off loader operator screaming at you, becuase you cant keep up. The case in point which Paul you understand. I challenge anybody who knows all to find a originall 046 mag stock. And grab a brand new or close but bone stock ms 460. We can prove the weight and power. Or just go back and forth all night.

I wish some of you gent's lived a little closer. To come see our proving ground, it's not on a bathroom scale or in a backyard. It's not cutting cookie's, but in the wood's on steep ass ground. And yes there is still big wood. It's on a landing bumping knot's with a pissed off loader operator screaming at you, becuase you cant keep up. The case in point which Paul you understand. I challenge anybody who knows all to find a originall 046 mag stock. And grab a brand new or close but bone stock ms 460. We can prove the weight and power. Or just go back and forth all night.

No biggie Norm. The 460 did gain a little weight but not near as much as what the scales appeared to show. WYK-Thank you for pointing that out. I again, must apologize to Matt Crowe. I insisted the saw weighed 15 pounds and 10 ounces when in fact it only weighed 15 pounds and 1.6 ounces as Lone Wolf pointed out. And Matt was right by saying there was no way that saw would weight that. Matt-you were right and i was dead azz wrong LOL. I hope you can forgive me.

I've not waved around a 460 vs an 046, but I have used a 7900 and an 046 full wrap. And, frankly, it's 6 of one, half of the other to me. In fact, I prefer the torque of the 046mag over the top end of the 7900 in larger wood.

large.jpg

Latest posts

Back