044 vs 044 magnum vs ms440 vs m441 vs 046 vs ms460 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently sold my 460 to a mate been on the phone and he said he will drop it off tomorrow, have an 046 magnum in bits, for the point of the excercise i am going to screw it back together and drop them on my lovely wifes kitchen scales, its worth the no sex for a year to prove a point,regardless of what it says in the unofficial weight thread there is no way the 460 is heavier when both saws are dry...

I'm not giving up on this argument Norm/Maclaren, these have been my two main work saws for as long as i have had saws, the 460 got better than the 046, certainly didn't weigh half a kilo more.

Words were eaten on your 660 maclaren, but i'm planning on giving you a taste of yours on this one...

So you wanna be a hard azz? You didnt see my post where I asked if you could could forgive me?
I believe I apologized to you atleast 3 times. What you wanna do?

So you wanna be a hard azz? You didnt see my post where I asked if you could could forgive me?
I believe I apologized to you atleast 3 times. What you wanna do?

Nope, apologized for what, sorry, just got to work and jumped back in, was thinking about this thread the whole 60 kilometer trip haha...

I was being sarcastic as hell about believing the 460 was lighter than an 046. I will never believe the 460 did not gain weight.
Thats just my opinion fellas......

I home sick with a nasty cold. No place I would rather be than on here with brother's in saws:tongue2: Got a good fire in the wood stove, and Im watching best of the best part 2 on t.v:clap: Good friend's, day off, and a cheesy action classic:clap:

I believe about every saw that went from the 0 series to the MS series gained weight.

Same as what we've shown with the 046/MS460, I think you'll find the same with all saws that went directly from the 0 series to the MS series. The only significant change was the flippy caps. Examples would be the 036, 044, 046, and 066. I think the 026 did get a larger improved filter, but not sure at what point that was introduced. Bottom line, there's nothing to show that any of them would have gained any significant weight at that time.

I was being sarcastic as hell about believing the 460 was lighter than an 046. I will never believe the 460 did not gain weight.

That makes no sense. Why not? Tell me what has changed on them to cause them to gain weight. We've shown you a pic proving it. Why would you still insist? I don't get it. What do you base your beliefs on? Seriously. I'm not just hunting you down here, but you're the only one that has gotten "hard" to make your point. And no, this shouldn't be a big deal. It's only a big deal now because you have made it so. This is the kind of thing that perpetuates myths and false information.

That makes no sense. Why not? Tell me what has changed on them to cause them to gain weight. We've shown you a pic proving it. Why would you still insist? I don't get it. What do you base your beliefs on? Seriously. I'm not just hunting you down here, but you're the only one that has gotten "hard" to make your point. And no, this shouldn't be a big deal. It's only a big deal now because you have made it so. This is the kind of thing that perpetuates myths and false information.

Brad, did you not see the pic showing the 460 weighing 15 pounds 1.6 ounces?
And then a pic is shown showing the 460 is lighter than a 046?????????????
Like i said the 460 is LIGHTER than an 046. SO BE IT. Thats all.

Brad, did you not see the pic showing the 460 weighing 15 pounds 1.6 ounces?
And then a pic is shown showing the 460 is lighter than a 046?????????????

Exactly my point. Add to that that nothing has changed on the saw, and you still want to believe that the 460 is heavier. I'm simply asking why. And why does it matter to you so much? That's the real question.

I'm lost, i will weigh the pair anyway just for my own satisfaction, i reckon modified marks saw was an MS660 with a 460 badge on it...Either way it was way too fat somehow cos they just aint that heavy.

Exactly my point. Add to that that nothing has changed on the saw, and you still want to believe that the 460 is heavier. I'm simply asking why. And why does it matter to you so much? That's the real question.

Brad, why do you think thats the real question. You make it out like I have some sort of motive. When in fact I was going by fact. modifiedmarks pic of the 460 weighing 15 pounds 1.6 ounces. But no, you keep pushing now that a pic comes into play showing the 460 to be lighter than an 046....Why Brad? why do you think I have some sort of motive? You were very quiet until that pic showed up. It seems as YOU have something to prove.......Brad, Am i entitled to my own opinion? If so, why all the questions?

Last edited:
Like I said Brad, I have never weighed em on a scale myself, but I was agreeing with Paul. We got two 046's mags, and two or three new ms 460's. Maybe it's just the balance but feels like a little difference to me. I was the guy who was trying to argue in your'e shoes Brad. But my friend's who are loggers here have made some sense. But power wise they came with a factory dual port as saw's of old, and the carbeurator's could be adjusted right so stock to stock, the power went to the 046. Weight I dont know what they put in the 460 I cant guarantee it is exactly the same as a 98-or 99 046. I would think some changes took place. Carb wise sure one could be heavier, muffler to why not. But depending on which site you look at, or who you talk too it can fluctuate alot. Maybe weight wise we will be wrong, but they had more power stock, and a better feel. That's my opinion too.

Brad, would it make you sleep better if i agreed whole heartedly that the 460 was LIGHTER than an 046? If so, I sure will big guy.

Like I said Brad, I have never weighed em on a scale myself, but I was agreeing with Paul. We got two 046's mags, and two or three new ms 460's. Maybe it's just the balance but feels like a little difference to me. I was the guy who was trying to argue in your'e shoes Brad. But my friend's who are loggers here have made some sense. But power wise they came with a factory dual port as saw's of old, and the carbeurator's could be adjusted right so stock to stock, the power went to the 046. Weight I dont know what they put in the 460 I cant guarantee it is exactly the same as a 98-or 99 046. I would think some changes took place. Carb wise sure one could be heavier, muffler to why not. But depending on which site you look at, or who you talk too it can fluctuate alot. Maybe weight wise we will be wrong, but they had more power stock, and a better feel. That's my opinion too.

No, we are not wrong weight wise Norm. But thats just my 2 little ole cents.......

I will settle this thing Thursday. I have an 046 here at the house. I have a friend that is a Stihl dealer. I am also friends with the local Post Master. i will video both saws no dawgs, free of fluids being weighed by the post master. I do believe this will be the Gospel. No?

Brad, poor guy must have been brainwashed by SawTroll, I never understand those who make a big deal out of mere ounces. If it does, you must spend more time reading specs than running a saw. If it is a pound and a half or more it can make a difference at the end of the day, the main reason we use 044/046/460 instead of a 660. It makes no sense to argue about something so trivial, if a person is that sensitive to weight, they need to run a saw more and build up the arms up from the size of a starved rat snake to the size of a gorged 15' python. As you have so nicely put it, there has been no real change/no real difference between the two saws other than mufflers. Little trivial things might have changed in weight, like weight of the filter, weight of the handle, maybe the gas tanks weighs a couple grams more, but in REAL world terms, it just doesn't make any difference. No one is going to suffer by one weighing more than the other.

???? Brad, are you serious? the MS460 weighs quite a bit more.....went from 14.12 to 15.10.....
Ive owned an MS460 before and have my cousins 046 and there is a big difference in weight. Not tryin to be smart, but no way does the MS460 weigh the same as an 046....

Men, yall cant be serious can ya? Go look in the unofficial chainsaw weight thread.

Come on now Matt. You didnt believe once before and what happened? The sclaes were the same exact scales modifiedmark used to weigh his 7900. hell, I thought everyone knew a 460 was a lot heavier than a 046.......Seriously Matt, I havent been messing with chainsaws that long and even I know a MS460 is a lot heavier than a 046. Ask sawtroll. heck ask anybody. Mdavlee knows. Now please do not get me wrong I love Stihl. You know i have a 660. but to say the 460 weighs the same as an 046 is down right wrong.
IMHO, thats why the Dolmar 7900 is such a legend. It has 6.3 hp compared to the 6.0 of the MS460 plus it weighs a FULL POUND LESS.

Bingo Norm. I cant help but remember what mweba (Mitch) had said about the 555 muffler. Said it was the heaviest muffler he had ever held. Thats a great example and only 1 of EPA adding weight to chainsaws. But seriously, I honestly thought the 460 weighing more than an 046 was pretty much common knoweledge.....:confused:

Matt, you will once again be eating your last name for dinner son......:dizzy: Matt, are you saying modifiedmark delibertly weighed a wet saw? I dont think so son. Mays well face the fact that the 460 weighs 15 pounds 10 ounces.

You can see it says 15 pounds 10 ounces. Just look at the pic. maybee mark can enlighten us all. Eveen if it was it was still all be the same as the 7900 and 460 were weighed on the same scales. The 046 too as far as i know......
I think I remember what you were talking about and that was in relation to some chainsaw bars I believe?.....At any rate WYK, its cut and dry man. the 460 weighs a full pound more than the 7900. Even the 681 I had was lighter than the 460.
But really whats the big deal? The MS460 gained weight over the 046. Thats all. Thats what im tryin to say. Seems of all people Brad Snelling and Matt Crowe didnt know the 460 gained weight over the 046. Frankly, I couldnt believe Brad didnt know that....

Thats right Norm. The 460 is a legend. No doubt. But is it hard to believe that it gained a little EPA weight as earlier discussed? I think not.
And thats not a bad thing. Hell, all saws have gained EPA weight here and there. but to say the 460 didnt? ........................

Brad, why do you think thats the real question. You make it out like I have some sort of motive. When in fact I was going by fact. modifiedmarks pic of the 460 weighing 15 pounds 1.6 ounces. But no, you keep pushing now that a pic comes into play showing the 460 to be lighter than an 046....Why Brad? why do you think I have some sort of motive? You were very quiet until that pic showed up. It seems as YOU have something to prove.......

I'm only pointing this out in public, because it was all said in public. WYK corrected someone incorrectly stating how much lighter the 7900 was. You jumped on it and it went down hill from there. You didn't just state that you had evidence to differ, you were emphatic, and even condescending, going as far as to mention names. I don't know why it's such a big deal to you, but I have a good idea. You'll see that reason in red above. Go back and read what you posted, and I think you might see what I'm talking about. My question to you is, why is it so important that the 7900 be so much lighter than the competition. They are what they are. They stand on their own merit. Let it go.

Brad, poor guy must have been brainwashed by SawTroll, I never understand those who make a big deal out of mere ounces. If it does, you must spend more time reading specs than running a saw. If it is a pound and a half or more it can make a difference at the end of the day, the main reason we use 044/046/460 instead of a 660. It makes no sense to argue about something so trivial, if a person is that sensitive to weight, they need to run a saw more and build up the arms up from the size of a starved rat snake to the size of a gorged 15' python. As you have so nicely put it, there has been no real change/no real difference between the two saws other than mufflers. Little trivial things might have changed in weight, like weight of the filter, weight of the handle, maybe the gas tanks weighs a couple grams more, but in REAL world terms, it just doesn't make any difference. No one is going to suffer by one weighing more than the other.

......in other words it makes no sense to make Brad wrong? Are we now saying the 460 did gain a little?......

Latest posts

Back