044 vs 044 magnum vs ms440 vs m441 vs 046 vs ms460 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norm, when you stated and quote "why hasn't anybody said anything to me, only paul" i guess you were completely backing him as that was after he offered Brad a "sawoff" rubbishing Brads work, which was kind of funny seing "paul" would be running someone else's work not his own, see unfortunately i know nothing about porting saws, but i have been here long enough to know that there are "Simonised, Snelerized And Stumpbroke Saws" but hey i have never heard anyone rave about a "Maclarenized" saw, so straight away he landed in my "i think he is a major STROKER basket with one statement" and you backed him all the way, even to the point where Brad had to ask you "i thought we were friends" so to me Norm, directly or indirectly, yeah you played a part.

Andyshine, no your right, i wouldn't know mark from a bar of soap, but that doesn't mean he couldn't get it wrong, we compare a heated full wrap handle here to a non heated half ? get off the grass man, why not just weigh it with a 92 inch canon bar and the bloke stand on the scales holding it then and say it weighs 235 pounds, lets compare apples to apples here if we are going to be fair.

Norm, my cutting background extends back a few generations now, both my grand father and father were professional loggers in the central highlands and on the northwest coast but with that comes the weekend work that i was involved in as a child, my father won a chainsaw race with one of pops 090's but my uncle had to start it for him as my father at the time was only 13 and although able to run it, couldn't start it. But that's not me, i was more interested in the machinery that went with it, so in 81 at 16 i started my apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic with cat working for the first 15 years on logging equipment but in later days moving onto road going equipment but the whole time, now 46 i don't recall too many weekends missed from cutting on our family property, i have owned many saws over the years and to say i have cut a ton or two wouldn't be a lie. But never professionally, no.

Andyshine, no your right, i wouldn't know mark from a bar of soap, but that doesn't mean he couldn't get it wrong, we compare a heated full wrap handle here to a non heated half ? get off the grass man, why not just weigh it with a 92 inch canon bar and the bloke stand on the scales holding it then and say it weighs 235 pounds, lets compare apples to apples here if we are going to be fair.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Mark's 7900 has heated handles, the generator coil and heating elements adds weight.

BTW I prefer Beer.

Just some fuel for the fire boys......

Ahhh....the ol' 046/460. Ive built a bunch of em from piles of crap, and had several pass thru my hands. FWIW, there are some very subtle difference's in parts between the two models, that could possibly make an ounce or two difference. Two legged coils, three legged coils, small combustion chambers, large combustion chambers, muffler's with baffles and without, plain muffler covers, and dual port covers, carbs with limiter caps, regular old screw carbs with retaining springs, flippy caps, screw caps, and....heck....u get the point.

But, in the end, its only a chainsaw. Who cares? I dont fo sho!

HOORAY 044!!! :clap: :clap:

Well I know one thing for sure after reading this thread I am ready to go back to sleep cause my eye lids weigh more than the did an hour ago.:msp_w00t:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Mark's 7900 has heated handles, the generator coil and heating elements adds weight.

BTW I prefer Beer.

So Andy, Mate, where did the 7900 come from ? seriously if ya jump in late without actually reading this is what happens... An MS460 was todays argument saw. the 7900 was yesterdays heated dispute.

BTW I prefer Beer.

The 7900 has never been 13.6 lbs, nor will it ever be 13.6 lbs. It has always been closer to 15lbs, sans 'heating element'. Second to the 346xp, I have not seen such fanaticism about a saw. But, unlike the 346xp, much of the admiration is based upon false data and lies propagated by the manufacturer and unwitting users of their products. The moment I picked up a 7900 I knew it was nowhere near 13.6 lbs because I could not tell the difference between it and my full wrap 372 XP in my other hand which I knew to be close to 15lbs itself. In fact, I was quite a bit disappointed when I got my full wrap 372xp that it didn't weight significantly less than my 046mag. But once I noticed the huge difference in AV, I didn't look back.

Anywho, kudos to Dolmar for making a strong 80cc class saw at ~1/2 lb lighter than the ms460.

Here is a 7900 without the heating element, B&C, or fluids:

original.jpg

And a 7901:

original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/image/137564899/original.jpg[/img]

And a 7901:

original.jpg

Why would Mark lie or post an inaccurate weight of the 460? You obviously don't know much about Mark. The 460 weighs more, get over it move on it's a saw for god's sake.
Andre, this isn't about whether or not the 460 is heavier than the 7900. It's all about Paul getting bent out of shape trying to prove the 460 is heavier than the 046. There's evidence to show that Marks weight is significantly high. Why? I don't know and don't really care. As far as the 460 being heavier than the 7900, are we really going to argue over ONE once?

Andre, this isn't about whether or not the 460 is heavier than the 7900. It's all about Paul getting bent out of shape trying to prove the 460 is heavier than the 046. There's evidence to show that Marks weight is significantly high. Why? I don't know and don't really care. As far as the 460 being heavier than the 7900, are we really going to argue over ONE once?

Man you must sleep with your 440/460 you love it so much. I wasn't going to argue with you at all touchy, touchy don't start acting like me now.:biggrin:

Yes guys I know the 7900 weighs more than the what's listed, that's old new. I always thought the 460 was a bit more porky than the 046, but so what, I'll never own one.:dizzy:

I've cleaned at least 2-3 ounces worth of crud, oil, and saw dust out of a lot saws, don't get you panties in a
bunch fellas.

Why would Mark lie or post an inaccurate weight of the 460? You obviously don't know much about Mark. The 460 weighs more, get over it move on it's a saw for god's sake.

THANK YOU Andre. Im sorry if I got pizzed, but i truly believe Mark. And his scales. NO disrespect at all for the 460! Every saw model gains a little every once and a while! Thats all ive got to say fellas. I apologize again. but certainly stand by what i believe in.

Last edited:
Sorry you took such offense Matt crowe, and seems like you took it the hardest of all. My point was a few were kinda packing up against Paul, so yeah I chimned in, that's what friends do, did the same for Brad awhile back, and would again for either. Just saying I also raised the point dindn't want to see him sigled out. A wire got crossed somewhere, and its another day, started fresh for me.

Hilarious! Who really gives a rat's hind end? I have a week old 460. It cuts like a madman. That's all I care. So , a 2001 046 weighs 1.6 oz. less than a new 460? Who cares? Seriously.

I contacted Stihl USA and asked for the difference between the 044 and 044 Magnum. Here is the response:

The 044 and 044M do have the same displacement (70.7ccs)and make the same amount of power (5.4HP). The difference is the decompression valve and the crankshaft was changed to incorporate a larger wrist pin.​

So all 044 Magnums will have a decompression valve according to him.

Hope this helps clarify things.

So after reading 6 pages of arguing over the weight of 046 vs 460 I lost all interest in reading the rest of the thread... Just wanted to know the difference between the 046 and 046 magnum. I didn't want to assume that a decomp and larger wrist pin like the 044-044mag above, but it kinda led my mind that way. Anyone want to point out the difference between the 046 and 046mag for me?

Thanks!

Back