044 vs 268xp? Who wins?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

044 vs 268xp? Which is faster?

Votes: 52 71.2%
  • 268xp

Votes: 21 28.8%

• Total voters
In this argument. I believe the 044, but never ran a 268, so I'm taking a best guess base on what I know about both saws.

You must be a Stihl man. I hate to tell you that in their own classes Huskies will generally be faster than Stihls.

Does that make Huskies a better saw? No. Does it mean they each have their own weaknesses and strengths? Yes.

I am getting opinions for an argument with a guy i work with. Says he had 044's some years ago, and the guy cutting timber for him said he wanted something that would cut better, so he told him to go pick it out. He came back with 268xp's. Said they cut circles around the 044.

The 044s were old, and the 268s were new?
Maybe the old saws had bad chains because he doesn't know how to sharpen?

:laugh:

In this argument. I believe the 044, but never ran a 268, so I'm taking a best guess base on what I know about both saws.

You must be a Stihl man. I hate to tell you that in their own classes Huskies will generally be faster than Stihls.

Does that make Huskies a better saw? No. Does it mean they each have their own weaknesses and strengths? Yes.

I don't think that is true 100% of the time. I would put my 038 against a 262 at any time. I think the 038 would win...only by a hair though. And i run both frequently. I even think the 034 wouldn't be far off. I run one of those fairly frequently too.

Last edited:
The 044s were old, and the 268s were new?
Maybe the old saws had bad chains because he doesn't know how to sharpen?

He is awesome with a file. Great guy. Knows his stuff when it comes to felling trees and such. But he is extremely biased. Even about cars and such too. When he gets an idea in his head, he can't be told otherwise. What he chooses is best,in his eyes, there is nothing else. I doubt you could get him to agree if you put them head to head in front of him.

let me guess, he's a Ford guy? J/k.

I'll like to see how my 044 runs against other saws. May need to do a SE GTG.

I don't think that is true 100% of the time. I would put my 038 against a 262 at any time. I think the 038 would win...only by a hair though. And i run both frequently. I even think the 034 wouldn't be far off. I run one of those fairly frequently too.

And the 372xp is faster then the 044, the 395xp is faster then the 066. Your point being?

If speed is the standard by which you judge a saw's worth than you are truely missing out.

My 044 is slower than my 372xp, but my 044 is as good if not better saw than my 372xp. The 044 has better balance, better handling in the wood, cool looks and a sound all it's own. But it will never be as fast than my 372xp. Great saws don't have be the fastest to be great. IMO.

And the 372xp is faster then the 044, the 395xp is faster then the 066. Your point being?

If speed is the standard by which you judge a saw's worth than you are truely missing out.

My 044 is slower than my 372xp, but my 044 is as good if not better saw than my 372xp. The 044 has better balance, better handling in the wood, cool looks and a sound all it's own. But it will never be as fast than my 372xp. Great saws don't have be the fastest to be great. IMO.

Kind of like the Harley rider said to the rice rocket pilot: "But mine has soul."

Faster at what? I just love these agrguements...

Depends on too many factors for anybody to tell me what stiock saw is faster than another stock saw...

...and don't start quoting worthless facts that are printed on paper... Who gives a flyin' rip if a saw is 1/2 a second faster...

Gary

Kind of like the Harley rider said to the rice rocket pilot: "But mine has soul."

Thats NOT how i judge quality of a saw, but it is the fun part. Why do you think there are a crap ton of posts about mods....cause people want faster! All im sayin is stihl isn't always left behind in its class.

+100. I feel more effective running the 044 for a day of cutting up trees as in firewood even though the 372 does a few things better. I also have more confidence in its reliability and if it does need service I feel more confident working on it. It may not be for everybody but it would be the last saw that I'd sell or the first 1 I'd aim to buy if I lost all my saws tonight.

Faster at what? I just love these agrguements...

Depends on too many factors for anybody to tell me what stiock saw is faster than another stock saw...

...and don't start quoting worthless facts that are printed on paper... Who gives a flyin' rip if a saw is 1/2 a second faster...

Gary

Right, or maybe a whole second. Steve

Okay if you look at the books stihl should win. but the 268xp will prove a better saw . the 268 xp does not have all the epa crap on it . I own the stihl 046 and it is a great saw but I can,t belive my 268 will keep up but you have to keep her wide open the stihl as much more torq and I love all my saw,s . 268 xp 67 cc . stihl 044 70 cc . 268 as a better exhast from the factory less restricions . you would have to fuel up more with the 268 xp. but your not looking at much diffrence in speed .0025 seconds come on this is a joke . both great saws . parts for the 268 xp are easy to geat besause you have the 61 ,66,266se 266 xp 268, 268xp and the 272 . jonsered 630 super II and the 670 that all have the same case. I buy the 61 and make it a 272 its not that hard. your buddy came back with a good choice for the money!!!!! but you can take the 044 put a big bore kit and a exhaust mod any way good luck.

now I WISH I NEVER WASTED MY TIME ON THAT THREAD. I MISSED A 038 MAG II PARTS SAW FOR $ 47.00 BUCKS ON FLEA-BAY. THATS THE SAW YOU SHOULD SHOW YOUR BUDDY . THATS 0VER 70 CC AND YOU BETTER HAVE YOUR GAS RAGGES WRAPED AROUND YOUR ANKELS WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGER THAT WAY THE ANT,S WON,T EAT YOUR CANDY ASS!!!

Back