045/056 oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayh56757

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I Have an 045 super which had been oiling great until I tried to adjust it. The adjustment screw would just turn freely 360 degrees. After disassembly, I discovered the plastic around the drive pin on the spur gear broke allowing the pin to pop out. I Have a nos gear ordered so that should take care of that issue. As far as the pump itself, I n to replace the tiny pin on top of the adjustment screw. What is a suitable replacement? Could turning the adjustment screw too far have cut off flow and caused the damage to the plastic gear? I'd like to avoid buying a whole pump if I could just use a roll pin or something else.

Sounds like someone got hamfisted with the adjuster screw & sheared the tiny pin, not uncommon. You can still buy the pins from Stihl 1117 647 9800

Has nothing to do with the drive gear pin busting out though. I just hate those plastic drive gears, they seem to need replacing every other year if you cut your Winter firewood annually with it.

Make sure you get the thin washer that goes on the crankshaft behind the oiler drive gear, else the drive pin can wipe out your PTO seal if it gets loose in the future & "walks" through the gear hole towards the engine.

Another option is to buy the late 056 style rim clutch drum, cover washer, & the cogged type oiler spur gear, they were used on Magnum 056s & drop right in together, eliminating the drive pin BS altogether.

Latest posts

Back