045AV vs 372, new saw guy experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyIan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ran a 045 last weekend at my buddies cottage. It's been their cottage saw since new and I doubt its cut 2 dozen cords of wood so its in good shape. I brought my 372 as I was falling a couple tricky trees for them and I wanted my own saw.

I have to say I was quite impressed with how smooth the 045 was and how it cut, it was a ways off my 372 but not as much as I thought it would be. We were only cutting 12-14" hardwood so neither saw was working hard. The biggest difference is how much flywheel there is in the 045, it takes a bit longer to spin up and alot longer to spin down than the 372. Also the fact that the 045 has no chainbrake made me quite careful moving down the tree. I also think that the carb on the 045 is made to run at part throttle more, unlike the newer saw on/off switch carbs. The 045 was tuned abit leaner than I like to run my 372(I do some milling) so maybe that was helping too.

How good the 045 was, is probably old news for many here, but if I ever find an 045 or 056 cheap I wouldn't hesitate to put it on my alaskan mill, and if I could fit a chain brake it would be a great firewood saw.
Ian

You can put a chainbrake on the 045. All you have to do is find a bar cover with the brake in it. It was more common on the 056 but fits right on. All you have to do is grind the stop off the top hand gaurd so that it can swing forward.

The 045 is a great saw and is not slow for its size. My 045 Super specs at 12,000 RPMs. It'll have more torque than the 372 in bigger wood too. Pulls a 36" bar fine.

You can put a chainbrake on the 045. All you have to do is find a bar cover with the brake in it. It was more common on the 056 but fits right on. All you have to do is grind the stop off the top hand gaurd so that it can swing forward.

The 045 is a great saw and is not slow for its size. My 045 Super specs at 12,000 RPMs. It'll have more torque than the 372 in bigger wood too. Pulls a 36" bar fine.

That's 12,000 rpm out of the cut for tuning right? The 045 would rev abit higher than my 372 before 4 stroking. I don't have a tach so maybe I'm running my 372 way too rich.
It's funny how saws 25 years apart are still very comparable, from now on I'll keep my eyes peeled for these saws.
Ian

Yes, that's WOT no load, with bar and chain for the 045 Super. Not sure if 045 is less or not. The 372 should be significantly higher than that. Sounds like it's running WAY rich and therefore a lot slower than it should be. I don't know the spec on it though.

Do you know if the 045 and 056 are the same saw and motor. Not to change the subject.

Yes, that's WOT no load, with bar and chain for the 045 Super. Not sure if 045 is less or not. The 372 should be significantly higher than that. Sounds like it's running WAY rich and therefore a lot slower than it should be. I don't know the spec on it though.

I just found your clip on youtube of your 045, very nice! My buddies 045 was revving abit higher than that if I recall, my 372 was about the same so I can lean my 372 out a bit and I'll tell my buddy that he should fatten his 045 up a bit.
Also I checked out your other clips too. That EHP 372 is nice, and he's not far from me... I should just get mine running right and that will be good enough for a while I'm sure!
Ian

Hey, Indy
If you find the scumbag who stole my 045, kick him in the nads for me and buy my saw back. I miss that saw.

However nice to see someone compare the two, because I'm thinking about the 372 and was wondering how they compared.

Man the about of info on this site is amazing.

Latest posts

Back