046 Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a used 046. The saw needed a good cleaning up and some minor parts, but is generally in good condition. The compression feels very good, the saw starts easily, idles well and even cuts well (my brother says it cuts just as strong as his 460, both have dual port muffler covers and HD-2 filters).

The issue I have is the saw seems to be excessively 4 stroking, even with the Hi screw only 7/8 turn out.

It is far more noticeable than on my 044 or my brother's 460, and does not seem to go away until most of the 24" bar is in the cut. If you cut a 6 or 8" limb, it continues to 4 stroke the whole time. It is annoying, even though it cuts well. Both the 460 and 044 have the Hi screw adjusted more than one full turn out.

I have also removed the muffler baffle, and advanced the timing approximately 5 1/2 degrees (.020 on the key). The problem was evident before I advanced the timing, so that did not cause the problem, and the saw seems to run better with the timing advanced.

In my mind the problem has to be either carb or ignition, and since the Hi screws does not seem to be where I would expect, I suspect the carb. I tried putting the original muffler cover back on the saw but the problem did not go away and the saw just seemed anemic in the cut.

Would an improperly adjusted (or sticking) float valve in the carb cause this issue?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I really like this saw, but I think it would run stronger if it were not 4 stroking so much at high RPMs.

Should I rebuild the carb, or do those aftermarket carbs work well?

Put the orig lever back in with new needle
A nice builder mentioned to me the lever in todays walbro kits suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check and make sure lever is free and its a blond hr below level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said the saw is running good. Don't worry about a kit. If a gasket is stuck, I use a razor knife to carefully loosen it up.

Why wouldn't you just the carb as needed? If the saw runs well and holds a tune, I don't see a problem.

You can turn the Hi 1/2 turn out and you will still not get rid of the excessive 4 stroke. I am afraid to run it that way. In my opinion, adjusting the Hi less than one turn out with a dual port muff means it is compensating for something that is not right. I think if I fix what is wrong the saw will be a little stronger and will be much more pleasant to run.

I will open the carb and play with it, but if I can't fix it, are those aftermarket carbs any good? The price is very reasonable (makes it almost not worth my time if they work).

Maybe I'm biased, but I will NEVER buy an aftermarket carb. I always go for used carbs for around $30 whenever I get one that is un-fixable.

Rebuild the carb Mike.

Just spray it off, and thru the jets with carb cleaner.

Metering diaphragm is likely a little stiff.

Oh.......wash it in water and blow it dry after the carb cleaner......gotta neutralize that stuff.

Mike will it clean up screwed all the way in ? I agree with Brad try adj first then check the obvious. Pull the filter and try it, NO air makes'm fat too. Make sure there is no limiters. Ken

Is it possible that the 'seat' in the carb for the H needle is boogered? Would your brother lend you the carb off his saw to see if that remedied it?

Latest posts

Back