046 oil pump on a MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a real problem per se, but there's not a lot of extra oil. If you tend to let a chain run a bit longer than you should between sharpening and you generate extra heat from dogging in pushing the chain into the bar (like I am prone to do) then a bit of extra oil won't hurt. Also like lake said, it's designed to work with stihl chains which are supposed to channel the available oil to the links. More might be needed if running other brands of chain (like the WP I was using) I know my bar got too hot to handle on a regular basis.

From what I've read here, the amount the oiler puts out varies fairly widely, from just under half a tank to a tank of fuel that mine got to the 3/4+ tank that Lake gets.

Ian

FLCM, i'm just curious if you put the bigger pump in would it empty the bar oil sooner then when you run out of gas? just curious, let us know after you run a few tanks through.

snowdog

I should have some results this weekend. I have a small hub problem on my truck that needs attention before I go cut more firewood.

Have to bump this one up. Have a call into the dealer for the parts. My bar and chain tend to be very tan by the end of a day of cutting oak, this will/should help. Andy, do you or others know what a max output on the oil could be vs. gas? I'm wondering if it would really even be smart to put on the HO or just go with the standard.
Chad

Have to bump this one up. Have a call into the dealer for the parts. My bar and chain tend to be very tan by the end of a day of cutting oak, this will/should help. Andy, do you or others know what a max output on the oil could be vs. gas? I'm wondering if it would really even be smart to put on the HO or just go with the standard.
Chad

I think with the HO oiler turned up, you will run out of oil before gas.

Chad

The standard will do very little to help you (15 verses 17cc/minute). Put the HO on (24cc/min)- you can still turn it back to way too low.. (6cc/min)

Finally made it to town to pick up the HO piston and control bolt for this mod.

I got it swapped out in about an hour....would've been quicker but I cleaned while I was in there.

I cut a few cookies on some rounds out on the wood pile with a 25" bar and felt I need to dial the oiler down just a hair 'cause "max" is a little too much for me.

It was just a short test run but this oiler mod is a winner IMO if you think your MS361's oiler is a tad anemic.

Thanks to Lakeside53 and FLCM for doing the homework on this one. :clap: I owe y'all a beer! :cheers:

.....now it's time for some storm cleanup :D

ps, be gentle when removing the bearing bushing/plug on the oiler...it's very, very soft.

Just put that on and tried it . 1. The broze bushing is soft, roughed up the outside the the inside was fine and rolled smooth. How do you guys in the shops take care of these? 2. GOOD LORD that's some oil!!! Make sure you start off about half and go up from there. With the stock one in there, I really didn't have even much oil coming off the bar when free rev. Now, the cover was wet with oil when free rev.. I'll have to play with it till I find out where it is giving enough oil but not running out of either the tank or the cover.
Thanks again, great tip.
Chad

Just put that on and tried it . 1. The broze bushing is soft, roughed up the outside the the inside was fine and rolled smooth. How do you guys in the shops take care of these? 2. GOOD LORD that's some oil!!! Make sure you start off about half and go up from there. With the stock one in there, I really didn't have even much oil coming off the bar when free rev. Now, the cover was wet with oil when free rev.. I'll have to play with it till I find out where it is giving enough oil but not running out of either the tank or the cover.
Thanks again, great tip.
Chad

Did you get the Workshop manual and Ipl I emailed ya????

Back