064 got me stumped!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i picked up a 064 several months ago and i can get it to idle and sound good. i hit the throttle and it just screams, once it gets into the wood it falls flat on it's face. while cutting through a log i can adjust the carb to where it runs and sounds great. once through the log or i come down to an idle it dies. in order to start it again i have to play with the carb. i took it to the local stihl dealer and they had it for two weeks and they couldn't even get it started. i've been cutting firewood, 12"-24", w/ my 034av. the 034av just screams, but this is a job for the 064 plus why have it if it just sits on the shelf and makes me want to throw it through the shop wall whenever i see the damn thing.

at any rate, thanks for reading the source of my :censored: anger/rage problem.

Jon

Reports I have heard is the tilly carb can give problems you are describing they are however total beef when they are working right. Impulse line,seals.

I'm thinking air leak, maybe fuel line, seals, carb gasket maybe. Or just buy a carb, new or used.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Sounds like an air to me to.

First thing to do is a pressure and vacuum test. Do a search and you should find a lot of good info on what to get and how to do it yourself if your the mechanical type or you could take it to your dealer if you don't feel up to it. The dealer will charge you shop rate (??? per hour) for the tear down and reassembly to do the test so you might save yourself some cash by getting the saw ready for the test yourself and then take it in.

What's the compression. Sounds like it could be real low. I might explain why the dealer couldn't start it.

......i took it to the local stihl dealer and they had it for two weeks and they couldn't even get it started.......

Ooops somehow I missed that the first time around....... find another dealer that one isn't trying to fix your saw, he wants to sell you a new one and thinks if he can make it seem like yours is beyond repair you'll buy one from him.

Ooops somehow I missed that the first time around....... find another dealer that one isn't trying to fix your saw, he wants to sell you a new one and thinks if he can make it seem like yours is beyond repair you'll buy one from him.

+1

If the dealer had it for two weeks, claimed he "couldn't start it" and did not test for air leaks/compression he is incompetent and/or crooked (e.g. just wants to sell a new saw....).

BTW, did he charge you anything for "all the work he did?"

Just box it up and send it to me over on the west bluff river bank,,,,,

Little Cypress TX,,,,,

Illl get it running for ya!!!!!!!

Hello!!!!!!!

the guy who worked on wasn't there, but the other guy said he had taken the carb off and cleaned it out. so i told the guy i needed it regardless to cut some large dia. and how much do i owe you. he said not a thing( i'm sure that's because when i brought it in i started it to show them what the problem was and when i picked it up i couldn't even start it) when i got it home i got to looking at it and the linkage wasn't hooked up. i put that back together and with a little tweek'n of the carb i got it to fire up, but it stihl had the same problem. i've got a compression tester i'll test it when i get back from work. it's got some comp though, because a couple times it damn near took my fingers off trying pulling the rope. thanks for everyone's interest in helping me narrow down the problem with this ?*#@$*~? saw, i used a 064 a couple years ago for a day, so i know what it's capable off and i need that feel'n again........ i need it real bad!

thanks again, jon

well, i couldn't help myself. i found my compression tester and..........

ms290 50lbs.
034av 50lbs.
064 65-67 lbs.

i've got a air compressor and a vacuum/??? tester, would i be able to check for air leaks myself? if so, how would one go about performing air leak tests?

now that damn saw is making me late for work. thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction, your time and efforts are very much appreciated.
Jon

wrong schraeder valve in the compression tester...

Dont worry about the compression, if the 034A runs good and the 064 is showing more compression than the 034A has with your tester,,,, bad tester or not,,, you've got plenty in the big saw,,,,, has to be carb or impulse hose, manifold,,, But you said it would pull your hand off too cranking some time???

064???? could be flywheel in the wrong key slot????? timing???? maybe????:monkey:

look at the easy stuff first before you start tearing the saw apart!!!!

Where is lakeside when you need him!!!!!??????/

Last edited:
+1 to Riverrat

Double check the simple stuff. I totally dissasembled a 028 to find a daubbers nest in the freaking muffler.

I dont have acess to my IPLs At work on my regular day JOb But I will be home in a couple of hours or will stop by the stihl dealership on the way in and see,,,,,, if Andy hasnt come to the rescue!!!!! He's working @ the Stihl dealer today,,,

Could be a loose carb, could be a crack in the impulse line, could be a crack in the fuel line, could be a crack/hole in the intake boot, you might have a crank seal leaking (my personal pick here), might be a base gasket issue, could be loose cylinder bolts. Does the saw run different when turned on it's side verses straight up???? does it run different when tipped on end?? My point is you really need to do a pressure and vacuum test on this saw, it will help pinpoint the problem a lot faster than stabbing in the dark. Do a search for "pressure test" or "vacuum test" and you should find everything you need to know on what and how to do it. If you want to spend some time and check a few things..... check the impulse hose and eliminate it as a possible cause. Take the air filter cover off, pull the spark plug, and remove the top cover. Look between the plastic and the cylinder and you will see a hose that runs between the plastic and the engine case.... that is the impulse hose check it for cracks or leaks. Check the fuel line from the fuel tank to the carb, while your at it replace the fuel filter. Check the cylinder bolts and make sure they are tight, you will need a long T-handle driver in T-27 torx or one of the Stihl Torx tools for this and don't over tighten them they need to be tight but not cranked. My money is still on a crank seal and your gonna need a vacuum/pressure test to know for sure. Good luck and let us know what you find.

All this is ass-u-me-ing that you have adjusted the carb properly???? What process are you using to set the carb??

Back