064 Mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinDodge

Powered by Cummins
Reaction score
Ok, I've researched and read and there really isn't much info out there for the 064's compared to others. Anyone willing to give me some pointers on tweaking out a wood saw? I'm not looking to steal anyone's numbers or build a full comp saw but more like Gypo's "boob job 044".

I've got a rough looking 064 coming that is supposed to run but is weak. I feel this will be a perfect candidate for learning.

Right now I'm on pins and needles just to get the dang thing in my hot little hands and see what I have to work with. I'm hoping to get by with just rings or rings and a piston but only time will tell. Is there a big bore kit available?

I like my 064. A little lighter then an 066, more grunt then an 046. I have an extra cylinder piston and have also toyed with some minor mods, but I have never tried any. I do have a factory dual port on mine and it runs pretty nice. I milled with it this week-end when my 084 had carb issues. I really like it with a 24" bar. No big bores available, but people have out a 066 cylinder on them but it requires some machining as the hold-down bolt pattern is bigger on the 066. The earlier 066's had some crank longevity problems, so I would be a little concerned converting to a bigger bore. Personally I like the Gypo minor port idea. It would make a great winter project.:clap:

Hi Smokindodge,
If you want some real quick gains that require very little effort, try this.
The saw longevity will not be compromised.
Take the jug off and remove the piston. Looking at the intake side of the piston with the rings off, scribe a line 1mm below the edge of the piston skirt.
This will be the amount you will remove with a flat file.
Remember, the beauty of all this is that it's not an exact science, so you could choose to remove 1/2 mm or 1.5mm, your choice, but 1mm is the sweet spot regardless of the saw.
One thing for sure, you won't make the saw slower at 1mm.

The metal is so soft it comes off real easy with a raker file. You can radius the edges nicely with a bit of emery cloth.

Taking the material off the piston accomplishes much the same thing as taking it off the bottom of the intake port, however, it's much faster and easier to piston port your saw this way.

This method is applicable to almost every saw built in the last 30 years regardless of displacement.

While you're in there, you may as well increase the compression by putting in a thinner base gasket to get about 20 thou. clearance.
Ideally, the exhaust port could be raised the amount that the jug was lowered with the thinner gasket, but this can be accomplished merely by removing the carbon on the exhaust port..

Like I said, it's not an exact science and the few basic things I have outlined will give you significant gains which will not compromise your saw.

Using the dual port muffler or simply opening up the existing hole is required as well.

There is much more that can be done, but these are basics that really work.

Hope this helps,
John

If I remember correctly, the first 064 I ported, I copied the 066 ports. Gutted the muffler, then matched and polished the exhaust port to the muffler and double ported the muffler. Good luck! Dennis

Gypo that was exactly what i was looking for, Thanks.

Dennis, can you give me an idea of what the ports look like on the 066? Never have seen one!

Hautions how does the 064 do on the mill? I've been thinking about getting a mill hence the reason for a larger saw. I've got some real nice Red Oak about 28" dbh x 16 I would love to whittle some rafters out of.

The 064 does fine, but I would like a little more grunt! I like the simple piston trim idea from gypo and I just read a post on the 360 from Dean. For more torque he wanted to widen the exhaust rather then raise it. I am assuming that is in conjunction with the trim of the skirt?

I use my 064 with a 36" alaskan sawmill. I bought this saw four years ago, and wondered if a dual port muffler would increase power. I did open up the muffler on my 029 and am impressed with the power gain, but am hesitant to try this with the 064. Can someone point me in the right direction for an easy performance increase?

thanks for sharing..

would you post a picture of exactly where to file?

Gypo Logger said:
Hi Smokindodge,
If you want some real quick gains that require very little effort, try this.
The saw longevity will not be compromised.
Take the jug off and remove the piston. Looking at the intake side of the piston with the rings off, scribe a line 1mm below the edge of the piston skirt.
This will be the amount you will remove with a flat file.
Remember, the beauty of all this is that it's not an exact science, so you could choose to remove 1/2 mm or 1.5mm, your choice, but 1mm is the sweet spot regardless of the saw.
One thing for sure, you won't make the saw slower at 1mm.

The metal is so soft it comes off real easy with a raker file. You can radius the edges nicely with a bit of emery cloth.

Taking the material off the piston accomplishes much the same thing as taking it off the bottom of the intake port, however, it's much faster and easier to piston port your saw this way.

This method is applicable to almost every saw built in the last 30 years regardless of displacement.

While you're in there, you may as well increase the compression by putting in a thinner base gasket to get about 20 thou. clearance.
Ideally, the exhaust port could be raised the amount that the jug was lowered with the thinner gasket, but this can be accomplished merely by removing the carbon on the exhaust port..

Like I said, it's not an exact science and the few basic things I have outlined will give you significant gains which will not compromise your saw.

Using the dual port muffler or simply opening up the existing hole is required as well.

There is much more that can be done, but these are basics that really work.

Hope this helps,
John

Last edited:
vcallies said:
I use my 064 with a 36" alaskan sawmill. I bought this saw four years ago, and wondered if a dual port muffler would increase power. I did open up the muffler on my 029 and am impressed with the power gain, but am hesitant to try this with the 064. Can someone point me in the right direction for an easy performance increase?

Yes the dual port muffer does help. There are two versions though - the very early version is specific to the 064; the later version is the same as the 066 and you can just change the outer cover to the 066 dual port cover, then retune.

Update: Received the saw last night. Just peeking through the exhaust the piston is starting to streak a little. Nothing terrible and I hope to clean the jug up and go with just a piston and rings. Are the Golf pistons worth a darn? Where is the best place to get a hone?

Hope to get some pics on this weekend if I have time left after Ebay. This is the first saw I've seen that incorpirated the use of pop rivets. :chainsaw:

Can anyone help me out with a IPL for the 064? Gotta find the part number for the pop rivets :greenchainsaw:

SmokinDodge said:
Can anyone help me out with a IPL for the 064? Gotta find the part number for the pop rivets :greenchainsaw:

Tried to PM the 064 IPL, but I can't attach the file. Give me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Lakeside53 said:
pop rivits?? on what?

:hmm3grin2orange:

The clutch cover. I guess it was a crack that was repaired with sheet metal and pop rivets. It's now bright orange. It's not to drastic, but it is funny. Now where is that worst home mod thread.........................................

SmokinDodge said:
:hmm3grin2orange:

The clutch cover. I guess it was a crack that was repaired with sheet metal and pop rivets. It's now bright orange. It's not to drastic, but it is funny. Now where is that worst home mod thread.........................................

damn, got me!

Latest posts

Back