064 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
many thanks for finally verifying dry weight difference between 046/064 as 5 oz.

064 has always felt a bit heavier than 046 due to extra fuel/oil carried.

I stand corrected. I just realized my 064 has dual spikes and chain catcher and the 046 does not. That's good for another 5 oz. The 064 is only 5 oz heavier than the 046!!

If you are going to put 6mm bolts in the case for the cylinder, how do you plan to drill them? Do you think you can make it fit the cylinder without slotting the cylinder?
I been thinking about making a 3/8 plate drilled from the gasket spacing to act as a drill guide.

If you are going to put 6mm bolts in the case for the cylinder, how do you plan to drill them? Do you think you can make it fit the cylinder without slotting the cylinder?
I been thinking about making a 3/8 plate drilled from the gasket spacing to act as a drill guide.

I'll just drill them by hand and retap. I will be slotting the cylinder mounting holes.

The 064 model tag is only available in plastic, but the Stihl is still available in plastic or metal.
But to get metal you may have to get a part number off an older saw.
I got metal tags for my 056 and 084, and was the part number on the 064 IPL was for a plastic one.
DSCN0126.jpg

What u use to paint the bar?
Matt (abviously paint but what kind and prosses?)

You can also use the 1122 400 1201 flywheel or the 1122 400 1207 'Arctic' flywheel, which will work with the universal module.

Does the 1201 flywheel work with the same coils as the 1203? The PDF doesn't show that. The coil I bought that was suppposed to be a 1203 arrived as a 1204:cry:

BTW, I ran this saw some more yesterday at the GTG and it's just a really impressive saw. It's no wonder guys that have these love them.

What u use to paint the bar?
Matt (abviously paint but what kind and prosses?)

I sand down the original paint to close to bare metal.
I spray it down with carb cleaner, which gets any oil and general crud off it.
Blow it off with compressed air.
Spray a light coat of self etching primer.
And I use either a Rustoleum light off white, or Stihl grey paint. Spray one coat and allow to get sticky. Usually the Stihl requires 3 coats and Rustoleum only need 2 coats.
To cure I put it near the heater in the parts room for a couple days.

thanks... got a few parts that needs freshened up.

I have found a appliance paint at a lowes box store that's a identical color for STIHL white.
The color of the spray on paint is "cotton". About 3 bucks a can.

Does the 1201 flywheel work with the same coils as the 1203? The PDF doesn't show that. The coil I bought that was suppposed to be a 1203 arrived as a 1204:cry:

BTW, I ran this saw some more yesterday at the GTG and it's just a really impressive saw. It's no wonder guys that have these love them.

Yeah, the 1201 flywheel and 1203 will work with the same modules if you use the 'X' slot on the 1203 flywheel. There's a lot of stuff the IPLs don't show, that's why they're not foolproof. Even the technical bulletins aren't foolproof. So some of it you just learn simply by trial and error while working on the saws.

Yeah, the 1201 flywheel and 1203 will work with the same modules if you use the 'X' slot on the 1203 flywheel. There's a lot of stuff the IPLs don't show, that's why they're not foolproof. Even the technical bulletins aren't foolproof. So some of it you just learn simply by trial and error while working on the saws.

I was talking about the 066/064 Ignition Manual. It shows the 1201 only working with the 1122 400 1300 coil. I have a 0000 400 1300 coil and it calls for the 1203 flywheel. So you're saying the 1201 flywheel will work with the 0000 400 1300 coil? I just want to make sure before buying a 3rd flywheel, lol. Thanks for your help.

Try it.. you'll know PDQ...

Isn't the 1122 version the early POS different-mount limited coil?

Last edited:
I was talking about the 066/064 Ignition Manual. It shows the 1201 only working with the 1122 400 1300 coil. I have a 0000 400 1300 coil and it calls for the 1203 flywheel. So you're saying the 1201 flywheel will work with the 0000 400 1300 coil? I just want to make sure before buying a 3rd flywheel, lol. Thanks for your help.

I have a freshly rebuilt 064 with a 1122 400 1201 flywheel and 0000 400 1300 universal module idling out in the yard right now, as I type...

Where did you get that number from? If it's from the plastic.. those aren't valid for a tank assy.

And 351 doesn't seem right for the center three digits.

I'm pretty sure all the 064/ 066 tanks interchange, but... you have to change out the top portion of some earlier tanks - it effects the boot and other parts.

Last edited:
What saw is a 1122 351 0502 tank/handle for? Did the 064 tank ever change dimensions? I know some were clear and some weren't. Which of the 066 tanks interchange?

You can put any 064/066/660 tank on any case. The 660 is slightly wider so the airbox on that tank will not fit on the earlier tanks and vice versa. The 064 never changed dimensions. The clear and non-clear tanks are the same size.

Where did you get that number from? If it's from the plastic.. those aren't valid for a tank assy.

And 351 doesn't seem right for the center three digits.

I'm pretty sure all the 064/ 066 tanks interchange, but... you have to change out the top portion of some earlier tanks - it effects the boot and other parts.

All of my tank part numbers have the 350 middle digits, and 08** last four digits.

Great thread! I'm learning a lot about a saw I never considered. I have a 026 and have been looking to get into a bigger saw. I never really thought about a saw this big but it might be the ticket with a 24. how's she balance with the 24" ..... Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread. :chainsaw:

Great thread! I'm learning a lot about a saw I never considered. I have a 026 and have been looking to get into a bigger saw. I never really thought about a saw this big but it might be the ticket with a 24. how's she balance with the 24" ..... Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread. :chainsaw:

No problem at all. The saw feels great with a 24". That's what I had on it at the GTG we had last week. It's a great package considering it's only 5 oz heavier than a 046.

Back