064 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think mine has a limiter on it, I've seen over 15k while adjusting the carb. I leave this saw rich because I often work it fairly hard noodling.

Looking at your SN, it looks like mine is a little older. In all fairness, I've never really taken mine apart to see what coil/FW is on it. I've never even looked at the carb, but since I'd like to rebuild it I guess that's something I'll be looking into soon.

You probably have the 1201 flywheel with the 1122 400 1300 'dogleg' style coil.

Thanks JJ, I'll check it when I do the conversion.

I need to put together a list for a parts run from my dealer. I was going to use the Bailey's gasket kit and then order the carb rebuild kit and cylinder bolts (anyone have the part number on these?, I want to say they are 6x25...) from the dealer. What else will I need for this BB conversion?

Also, any idea regarding the availability of the metal plate?

The usual 0000 400 1300 coil (with appropriate FW) works great, but... it be sure to sure to use an elastostart...;)

No elastostart on mine (or decompression for that matter), it's not a saw for the meek.

I was think about adding the decomp when I install the BB kit, but I'm not sure I really want to put a hole in my 064 top cover. :(

The 064 model tag is only available in plastic, but the Stihl is still available in plastic or metal.
But to get metal you may have to get a part number off an older saw.
I got metal tags for my 056 and 084, and was the part number on the 064 IPL was for a plastic one.
DSCN0126.jpg

Thanks. If someone can supply a PN for the metal Stihl plate, I would appreciate it. :)

what did you sand the piston with? and polish rings wiht.
Matt

The rumor is true. I just weighed the 064 PHO and dry. It's only 10 oz heavier than my Dad's 046. The 064 weighed in at 15 6 and the 046 was 14 12. This is with the standard air filter. I doubt the HD setup would be any heavier, maybe even lighter. Mine has the metal filter cover and the HD is plastic. I think I may have found my new favorite saw. We'll have to see how the 066 swap and porting turns out.

I rebuilt a 032 and the cylander looked good so did the pistion and rings. So i put in a new piston and rings. Should i have sanded or honed the cylander?
I hear not to hone because of the chrome finish. Did you just lightly sand it, what angle?

It has good compreshion and runns good now so i gess i did good but what cylaner work should be done in the futer?
Matt

I stand corrected. I just realized my 064 has dual spikes and chain catcher and the 046 does not. That's good for another 5 oz. The 064 is only 5 oz heavier than the 046!!

I rebuilt a 032 and the cylander looked good so did the pistion and rings. So i put in a new piston and rings. Should i have sanded or honed the cylander?
I hear not to hone because of the chrome finish. Did you just lightly sand it, what angle?

It has good compreshion and runns good now so i gess i did good but what cylaner work should be done in the futer?
Matt
Please start a different thread.

I stand corrected. I just realized my 064 has dual spikes and chain catcher and the 046 does not. That's good for another 5 oz. The 064 is only 5 oz heavier than the 046!!

Please start a different thread.

LOl eitehr way somone will give me crap. not saying you but every thread somone says whyed u start this use the serch ber? Well what are forums for.
Thanks Matt

Which saw has the bigger fuel and oil tanks? That will add some weight when it is full and ready for use!

The 064 seems like it would be really good paired with a 260 or 361 out in the woods. Not much practical use around here for less than a 50cc saw. The 064 seems like a decent saw - PITA to work on with that goofy intake/airbox set-up that screws to the tank handle. I like the more refined design of the newer 044/046/066.

I don't know how the 064 bottom ends held up to hard use - any of you west coast fallers want to weigh in?

Have you ran it yet, Brad? Here is a kinda blurry picture of mine...

attachment.php

LOl eitehr way somone will give me crap. not saying you but every thread somone says whyed u start this use the serch ber? Well what are forums for.
Thanks Matt

Don't sweat the small stuff, Matt
Below is from the 7900 BB thread. See

I've got a saw to install it on now, so it's time for the details of the prototype BB Kit I have here. Bore size is 54mm resulting in a displacement of 85cc, up from 79cc stock. So far I've visually inspected, measured specs, and taken pictures. I've not yet put the parts on my saw. That will come soon enough. The P&C look very good. I intend for this is to be a fair honest report. Please keep this thread clean and on topic as I would like for it to be something of a product review than can be useful to others.=QUOTE]

Without brand wars, the spec's look like this could be a reborn? 064

The era the 064 came from it was & maybe still is a hard saw to beat. [power to weight wise] :greenchainsaw:

Now, Brad may have just made my 064 worth more. :hmm3grin2orange:

Or made finding another, harder to come by.:monkey: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back