064 repair project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found this type of exercise valuable in the past. Now you know all the nuts and bolts! You could repeat what you've done in a fraction of the time.

Well I've been fairly busy this weekend, but managed to just about complete the rebuild. Certainly complete enough to test that she fires! In fact she starts and idles pretty much ok. It was getting dark over here in the UK, so I didn't spend that long actually running the saw, and hopefully I'll take some more pictures later on this week, but it's still looking quite rough and ready, as the clutch cover and the bump spikes are the only really visual things that I've renewed.

What I would say is that she seems a lot happier to start on full throttle than on the idle/run position when warmed up. I'm not sure whether that's a bad thing or perhaps it's just a case of "some saws are like that". (My TS400 concrete cutter is always like that, but then again that's really done some miles!). I did try to tune the L screw a little - i.e. wind in till it starts to rev higher then back out about 1/8.

Anyway I'm happy with it for now - and you're right Whiskers - these sort of exercises do teach you a thing or two ;)

Well like I said earlier it's a bit rough and ready, the filter box and the shroud being a little battered. (Might replace the filter box with the HD kit at some stage). But excepting any minor tuning, it's pretty much finished for now. Thank you everyone for PNs, parts and general advice.

[photo=large]3385[/photo]
[photo=large]3388[/photo]
[photo=large]3389[/photo]
[photo=large]3386[/photo]
[photo=large]3387[/photo]

I cleaned the saw up a little bit (on the cheap - some paint and new parts). I'm still struggling to get the L tuning just right (i.e. nice hot-restarts, and nice idleing). Anyway we took a few pictures after cutting next winters wood and thought I'd share them:

[photo=medium]3652[/photo]
[photo=medium]3657[/photo]
[photo=medium]3653[/photo]
[photo=medium]3661[/photo]

I cleaned the saw up a little bit (on the cheap - some paint and new parts). I'm still struggling to get the L tuning just right (i.e. nice hot-restarts, and nice idleing). Anyway we took a few pictures after cutting next winters wood and thought I'd share them:

[photo="medium"]3652[/photo] [photo="medium"]3657[/photo] [photo="medium"]3653[/photo] [photo="medium"]3661[/photo]
Nice saw Matt

I think my trouble with L side setting is that I trying to use the tach to get the idleing spot on. The manual says it should be 2400RPM. It seems to get hard to get mine running quite so low with rich bogging. Knowing me I'm probably just obsessing too much though!

We did a youtube clip where I'm trying to get the idle/L-side nice:

Have a listen if you've got time/patience and tell me what you think! I think that at about the 3 minute mark we have it "about as good as we can get!"

thanks Matt

I set at about 2700 rpm then set my h off 4 stroke then go back on the l and go clockwise until it leans out and speeds up a tad and just richen it until u get a smooth idle. Ill then set the throttle response and how fast the saw returns to idle

I set at about 2700 then set my h off 4 stroke then g back n the l and go clockwise until it leans out and speeds up a tad then back off that alil. Ill then set the throttle response and how fast return to idle is
Cool, cheers man, I was probably trying be too much of a perfectionist ;)

I'll probably have another play next weekend taking your ideas into mind....

Latest posts

Back