064av after rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04titanse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'll post some pictures up tomorrow, but I am having one last problem. Saw is together and starts and runs, but I ordered a new (used) flywheel because the org. one was missing a few fins.

After installing the new one like every 3 or so pulls it will like lock up and pull the rope out of my hand, broke the rope once. Seems like the pawls on the starter are getting hung up or locking, but never did this with the org. fly wheel. They are the same flywheel, and if anything the new one is in better shape, I pulled the starter off and the pawls def. got a little chewed up on the ends.

Is this common, do you think its the replacement flywheel, or did the pawls just happen to get f'ed up...?

Does the flywheel have two keyways?? It sounds like you have your flywheel is in the wrong keyway. The saw will run like this but starting it will be a real bear. Good Luck. Hope to see some pics soon.

Little Fella
Stihl 064
Husky 61
Jonsereds 49sp
Homelite Super-XL

Maybe wrong flywheel for the coil. I put an 066 coil on my 064 one time. It about ripped my arm off pulling it. I was always snapping ropes. I put the original back on and no more problems.

Ok so I have been really busy with work, traveling a whole lot!! I got back the the 064 project, got a few new woodruff keys, put the flywheel back on and bang she started right up. I had sheered the key and the timing was all messed up!

So I went out today and cut down about a 26" diameter pine tree that had lost its top in a storm, and the saw cut pretty good, not great. I really through some chips and cut pretty fast but it was a little slow on bottom to mid range, very good on the top end.

I tried to play with the the high and low speed screw and I could make it better but never get it to go away. could this be a problem with the air gap between the coil.? I have it set to about .010". manual says between .008-.012.

could this cause the saw to bog and have low power down low...?

there is only one keyway on this flywheel. and starting is easy on choke with wide open throttle. only takes a few pulls, if its just on the ON position its difficult to get it to start.

still not having any luck

so does anyone have any idea on things to check, test or change. Today I will reset the air gap just to eliminate that as a problem and I will run it a little.

Just to clarify, it idles and starts pretty good. Its a little hard to start when warm if only on run. If on 1/2 choke its starts right up.

when reving it with out load its sounds good, acceleration in pretty good, a little tiny bit slow from idles, but overall sounds good and not indication anything is wrong other than needing fine tuning.

when in the cut top end its pretty good, not really what I expected from a freshly rebuild 064 w/ 24" bar, but pretty good. Off idle and mid range are a little slow, adequate, but a little slow and too often to have the chain stop. If i scream the saw up high it pulls the chain well, but i feel like it should have more power.

should I change the flywheel back to the stock one...? replace the coil....?

Back