066 cylinder bolts RED LOCTITED!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatjoe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a used 066 totay.Bearing is shot.Some NITWIT Loctited the cylinder bolts with RED LOCTITE. Before I mangle them completely, I have a couple questions.The only torch I have is a propane one.Do I need to get these bolts Cherry Red?I did get one out, but the others a being a bitsh.I have a 27 star driver.This is my first 066. are the cylinder bolts larger than 27 on the 066?My driver doesn`t seem to fit tight.Any help, please.My neighbor has a oxy/acetylene I can use.Do the bolts need to be cherry?Will it hurt the saw?ANY help please.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Interesting you post this as i will be doing a rebuild on my 066 this weekend and was wondering if i were to put my 1/4 drive impact on the torx driver to buzz them suckers out would it hurt any thing. Your thread is now back to its original direction.

I got a used 066 totay.Bearing is shot.Some NITWIT Loctited the cylinder bolts with RED LOCTITE. Before I mangle them completely, I have a couple questions.The only torch I have is a propane one.Do I need to get these bolts Cherry Red?I did get one out, but the others a being a bitsh.I have a 27 star driver.This is my first 066. are the cylinder bolts larger than 27 on the 066?My driver doesn`t seem to fit tight.Any help, please.My neighbor has a oxy/acetylene I can use.Do the bolts need to be cherry?Will it hurt the saw?ANY help please.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

No it wont hurt them but don't hit the plastic. Edit your orginal post. Make each picture on it's own line. PM me and I can help you if needed.

It shouldn't even take enough heat to burn the paint. Concentrate your heat on the head, and then let it soak for a little bit, to pentrate the length of the bolt. Repeat several times so that you don't leave the torch in there long enough to burn the finish of the case.

a small amount of heat is all that is required to break the lok-tite[ 271] seal
getting cherry red will damage other stuff, you don't want that.
a small 3/8 impact will help you if you got one or a impact screwdriver as said before. take your time and work one one at a time.

rusty

I use a heat gun to loosen screws with L271 on them pretty frequently. Like the others have said, it doesn't need to be super hot.

fatjoe, I don't see any loctite on the one bolt, did you clean it off the bolt?
Or was it just on the very end of bolt.

It kinda looks like gasket sealer or someone was really messy for doing
four bolts.

TT

Spend a couple bucks to get a socket that fits right, and take it slow with the torch. Alternatively, strip it down to bare block, drain oil, and put it in your oven for a half hour at 450. Not really. Why would someone loktite those lol? Good luck!

i took one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers/masterhand-t27-x-4-in-stardriver-3808279 and cut the plastic handle off. i then bought one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...nd-3-frasl-8-indrive-t-40-star-socket-3834327 (i noticed tonight that this is just a 7/32" socket with the bit inserted)
attachment.php

attachment.php

i punched out the bit from the back of the socket, put the longer bit into it, put it on a 3/8"-1/2" adapter, and put it on my impact. it lets me reach cylinder bolts.

attachment.php

so far, nothing as resisted.

Last edited:
Red Loctite is actually what you're supposed to use on cylinder bolts (as per Stihl's service manual.) Stihl even sells it in their own labeled packaging. So the person in question isn't a nitwit.

Red Loctite is actually what you're supposed to use on cylinder bolts (as per Stihl's service manual.) Stihl even sells it in their own labeled packaging. So the person in question isn't a nitwit.

You learn something new everyday.I`ve heard so many different things about loctite on this site, it gets very confusing.Some say you should never use loctite with magnesium, some say only blue, some say red on the exhaust.Was the loctite supposed to be used as a gasket also?Cause it seems he used it there also.Thanks for the advice everone,I`ll give it a go tomorrow.I guess he wasn`t a NITWIT.

i took one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers/masterhand-t27-x-4-in-stardriver-3808279 and cut the plastic handle off. i then bought one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...d-3-frasl-8-in-drive-t-40-star-socket-3834327

i punched out the bit from the back of the socket, put the longer bit into it, and put it on my impact. it lets me reach cylinder bolts.

so far, nothing as resisted.

I like that.I do have the stardriver from Tractor supply.I`ll have to make that tool.Pretty cool.

If there's that much Loctite, then yes that's a problem. I was thinking maybe it's red silicone or modern Dirko? It looked like to me whoever worked on it last re-used the existing base gasket and put down a layer of Dirko, but I can't really tell without having the cylinder in hand.

I'm not sure what the deal is with people saying you're not supposed to use Loctite with Magnesium, bike and saw manufacturers have been doing so since Loctite was formulated.

Howdy,
I think what you're seeing is 518 gasket eliminator used with a gasket. If not that bolt that you removed would have loctite residue on it.
Regards
Gregg

Latest posts

Back