Finally got started on the 075 Hot Rod :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
Back in Early December I bought a pallet of 075/76 parts and started to work on this 075 project.
I wanted a big badass looking saw so I got a lot of help from some great guys and finally started assembling this beast today.
It is candy apple red and metallic silver, even if my phone doesn't make it seem that way :)
These saws have more changes to the models over the years than any other and are a real puzzle sometimes.
Parts and Knowledge from :poge, Rockfarmer, towingace, JDNicol, Sefh3, Duke Thierroff
Powdercoating from :Glock37
More parts from Kevin at CCP on the Bay

I got my work area set up where I could see the IPL while wrenching as I have never owned one of these that was assembled :)
075%20assembly001_zpspekfwufd.jpg

Crankcase, crank, etc up first - get the manual oiler in and dont forget the two washers behind it.
075%20assembly002_zpst68nbhkj.jpg

Using the heat gun to get prepared for bearings and crank
075%20assembly003_zpso2bkaeeg.jpg

I like a little smear of the Loctite on the outer race before install
075%20assembly004_zpszwk8ctm5.jpg

and on both sides of the gaskets
075%20assembly005_zpseibqlzzk.jpg

install the crankshaft
075%20assembly006_zps97xlb4po.jpg

Pulled together and a few bits installed
075%20assembly007_zps4ldphodz.jpg

Get the piston and cylinder ready
075%20assembly008_zpsxu0mmjl9.jpg

OF course I got ahead of myself and forgot to cut the gasket edge off of the crankcase surface before I screwed in the crankcase bolts :)
075%20assembly009_zpsu9r7jlxe.jpg

And I left them in my way while I applied the Loctite to the mounting surface
075%20assembly010_zpsg0yi52dk.jpg

Actually used a pair of snap ring pliers to do the circlips because the OEM clips are HUGE.
075%20assembly011_zpszje53kwk.jpg

Piston went in like a breeze - ah dammit!!!!
075%20assembly012_zpsvpkvaowg.jpg

Get the bolts out and then back in so I can start the Cylinder
075%20assembly013_zpssgulqzi0.jpg

Never done one like this before, the bolts are in the way for the ring compressor and the piston is pretty fat
075%20assembly014_zpsqap9bbr6.jpg

Making good progress now!!
075%20assembly015_zpsv1wjg97s.jpg

While tightening up the clutch, it suddenly stopped and I mean stopped dead and wouldn't advance at all, I took the clutch and oil pump out to find out why -
075%20assembly016_zpsck7srf6t.jpg

No wait a minute surely that little spring that hopped off of the oil seal can t be my problem, but now the Worm gear is stuck like a &$%@()

Handy Dandy Stihl oil seal and pump puller to the rescue - lets see your tuning screw driver do that without messing up a crankcase :)
075%20assembly017_zpsqfg6k3qf.jpg

Turns out the oil pump piston is the wrong size and the worm gear is the wrong size - Poge did and exhaustive research piece on these pumps, I read it a million times and still managed to mangle three parts in 3 minutes :(

On to other parts while I order a new oil seal - My nicely powdered Clutch cover - I cant find the bag of chain brake parts that I pulled off of it and I cant figure out how to re-rivet the inner side plate - yeah it is installed with 3mm rivets instead of screws on this style. I did get the big dog on it though.
075%20assembly018_zps58ukeutq.jpg

Time to rebuild the recoil - I do a ton of installs of the Elastostart assembly on saws and have a few tricks that actually work. Burn the tip of the rope with a torch and then lick your fingers and roll the hot tip to a point. The stiffness and point make it easier to install without taking the whole thing apart. If I can avoid re-spooling a spring I will. I mark the edge of the spring carrier on the edge where the rope hol eneters so I can easily see it while I work one handed . Next take your handy dandy airbrush cleaning brush from harbor freight that is the size you never use for cleaning saws and rebend the loop end so it will fit into the recoil hole.
Push the stiff rope end through the brush loop and pull it up where you can grab it with needle nose pliers and tie a double one handed know in it while you hole 10-12 revolutions on the spring with your other hand.
Then slooowly release the tension until the rope is spooled up and then assemble the pawls etc.
075%20assembly022_zpsqzoy3crl.jpg

075%20assembly023_zpsmzus7m4b.jpg

075%20assembly024_zpsvkozcoq1.jpg

Ta-dahhhh
075%20assembly025_zpswicidt7o.jpg

Next up is the coil and flywheel - I have a nova 2 module to go with it but not sure how it works yet - minor details :)
075%20assembly026_zpsq6mqckap.jpg

After realizing I have the wrong intake manifold and then that the next one I found was also for an 051, I stole one from a complete saw in a box and soldiered on -
Also found I had the wrong heat deflector (also for an 051) and that the coil I selected because it looked like the newest was the wrong shape for my recoil casing.

Yeah before you build one of these read that sentence again - the coil is the wrong physical shape for the recoil casing even though it fits the ignition parts fine :)
Also my NOS fuel line is a spongy piece of cracking goo upon installation so that needs replaced :(

075%20assembly027_zpsnbpuvby6.jpg

When you build your air filter housing don't loose this little TINY invisible screw it keeps the choke lever in place - smaller than the spring from the tip of an old ball point pen, and feisty
075%20assembly028_zpsnamyjr9r.jpg

got all the hardware moved over on to the powdered air filter plate - I am pretty sure I should have something attached to the on/off switch but convention be damned I don't need no wires!!
075%20assembly029_zps8vw7hzj9.jpg

Ohhh SNAP it gets a few more pieces and begins to look "sawesque"
And by this time I realized that I installed the bar studs without the inner side plate and fixed it.
075%20assembly030_zpsembardi9.jpg

Another hour of cursing, and sweating and it starts to become
075%20assembly031_zpsb0vtwmbx.jpg

pretty much most of a chainsaw except for all the pieces I still need and the stuff that isn't done - oh and that nice clutch cover - well it doesn't fit with the full wrap handle bar so wheeeeeee...

075%20assembly032_zpsxcnunyiu.jpg
075%20assembly033_zpspxyfiny2.jpg
075%20assembly034_zpsuap1y2xt.jpg
075%20assembly035_zpsayx25kfv.jpg

Still needs throttle lever installed, a couple of pieces powdercoated, ignition installed and tested, oil seal and oil pump reinstalled, Custom Stihl recoil badge, custom muffler, custom top cover badge, custom engraved bar, air filter cover knob painted, would really like some crazy custom felling spikes.
I desperately need a NOS hand guard
So that's a bit of a mess eh?
Dave

Thanks Brad, seeing your Solo that Mike powdered was an inspiration in doing something other than a straight rehab on this saw.
Its actually a pretty dead on take, on the Ohio State colors in metallic. Mike did an amazing job with very little to go on from me and I am thrilled.
I have a few more of these projects to build in the future after I get all the kinks ironed out on this one.
d

I got a few things ordered this morning to try to get this old girl back up and running. I will put a bar and chain on it and get some vids once I get it tuned.
Just remembered it doesn't have a fuel line and impulse line on it yet either and I need to install the Circlip in the oil pump cavity (behind the felling spike).
Special thanks to PogointheWoods for the carb rebuild and patience of a saint :)
Dave

Great to see it coming together, Dave. Also great of ya to share the foibles and mistakes of the process with the rest of us. I learn so much more from these types of threads than from threads where everything seems to go together perfectly, (does that actually happen?), so thanks for keepin' it real for us, too!

So ya gonna have it ready for the VaTech game? :)

O-H-

Great to see it coming together, Dave. Also great of ya to share the foibles and mistakes of the process with the rest of us. I learn so much more from these types of threads than from threads where everything seems to go together perfectly, (does that actually happen?), so thanks for keepin' it real for us, too!

So ya gonna have it ready for the VaTech game? :)

O-H-
I -O
I have season tix but VA Tech is away this year :)
Wait till you see the oiler gear I gorilla-mangled, I didn't see it at all in the big thread.

Your spike is upside down
I think officially that makes it number 26 on the list of stuff I mangles, messed up or just plain forgot to do on this build :)
I would love a pair of giant wicked spikes for this old girl, the AM ones are fine, at least a little more aggressive looking than the stock spikes.
After it gets built it will likely see wood pretty infrequently, luckily I have other saws for that :)
I got a little more work done on my shop today before cartons of saw parts started arriving.
DDave

Latest posts

Back