066 cylinder bolts RED LOCTITED!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little tidbit. When removing a torqued assembly, don't remove the fasteners when you break them loose. As you break each one loose, tighten I back to about 1/3 the spec. Otherwise you end up at the last fastener with the force of all the fasteners concentrated on it. Once all the bolts are broken loose the disassembly can proceed. This method will also help to prevent warpage.

Last time I visited my Stihl dealer, looking for Stihl torx bolts to replace the ones that rattling out, the tech advised me to use red loctite rather than blue. Said he uses nothing but red, blue is worthless.

That contradicts everything I know about Loctite, but I can't argue with the fact that blue is worthless on chainsaw.

I agree with the others that the red stuff the OP is seeing is something other than red loctite.

Well, you guys got me going, I was all showered and clean, but I got dressed and went back down stairs.It is loctite.I got three off, but need to use a hot iron for the forth.It`s too close to the flywheel.I don`t have an 066 flywheel puller yet.Thanks again for your help.I don`t know why he used so much of it.I`ll get the last one tomorrow.I`ll post some pictures of the bearing damage.I did re install the bolts to lesson the force on the last one.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Those bolts look like they had a lot of thread sealer used on them.

I saw an induction heater today. It looks like a soldering iron, but with wire hookups. It will heat ferris fasteners. It even had a pad for removing decals. It is advertised for use on frozen fasteners.

Back