066 Parts saw?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl-in-Ky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I planned on getting an 066 for a milling saw but didn't have all the money yet so I bid on a parts saw so I could tear it down and know something about the 066.I bid on one on E-bay that had some parts gone but the guy said he had put gas in carb and it had fired. It was one of a lot he had bought from a retired logger . Well I got it shipping and all for 205$.It needed a top handle and a few other parts so when it came in I thought it did not look to bad and put a handle and E clip and washer on the sprocket but the choke switch would not work right so I took off the carb cover and the carb was surrounded in mudauber nests I cleaned them off put it back together put some gas in it 6 tries and it fired took the choke off 2 pulls and it started and ran great .So then I cleaned it up and put on the parts I found it needed,
sprocket cover,top handle,chainn adjuster,chain catcher ,4 screws,manuals and a carb kit total cost 319$. I already had a bar and chain for it.Here are the before and after pics

Jeeze, most "parts" saws i have looked at must have been run over & drug buy a skidder for a couple of miles. That saw is in great shape! How was the piston & rings? Throw a dual port muffler on it and you are in business.....
RD

The piston appears ok.
No havn't had it on the mill yet but hope to on saturday my buddy Jeff my SIL and I are planning on milling a big hackberry tree that blew down a while back so I will see more then will take some pics.

The piston appears ok.
No havn't had it on the mill yet but hope to on saturday my buddy Jeff my SIL and I are planning on milling a big hackberry tree that blew down a while back so I will see more then will take some pics.

wow!!! that was one grungy saw. i have seen people using them daily that looked like that!!!

great clean up.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

dont forget to dual port the muff before milling. very very important on a milling saw

great job on a great saw, bet that baby'll sling some shavings. you sure cleaned that jewel up. and hey greg, i might have a saw or two that resembles that statement...............lots to do, little time.

Well have been busy at work and the Daughter and grandson came in from Oklahoma City for a 2 week visit.But here are the pics of the hackberry milling with the 066 I bought.We milled one saturday and the piston galded.The good news was I had wanted to put a big bore kit in it and it came in the next tuesday and we went out and milled with it the next weekend.That sure woke her up had a bunch more power.
Also some pics of the small log mill knockoff my SIL and I built for him he is using it with his new 361.
Also i have since dual ported the 066 but have not had a chance to use it since but it sure sounds good.
Also 1 pic of a cherry log a neighbor gave us.

At the start of this thread I thought you might come out on the losing end. Glad to hear otherwise-even with the BB kit and cleaned up nice. Crank feel ok when you had the jug off?

happy milling

Back